Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Workout Ireland.

• 10-10-2012 10:37pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭

Why is everyone you meet now getting big into fitness? Everyone is either out running, cycling, walking, rowing, spinning you name it and 8 out of 10 people are doing it. Don't get me wrong its brillant people are doing it but It's like an epidemic now and everyone is taking to it. How did this all take off? I often wonder.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

I like a nice horizontal workout every now and again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭Amprodude

You like a vertical one too while your at it. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,573 ✭✭✭pragmatic1

Cause theres **** all else to do on the dole apart from ****, smoking and eating.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭M cebee

i think maybe a lot of the upsurge in running,cycling and walking is related to recesion

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,533 ✭✭✭the keen edge

**** on a chaise longue, well ooh la-di-da Mr Frenchman.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,293 ✭✭✭1ZRed

Amprodude wrote: »
    Why is everyone you meet now getting big into fitness? Everyone is either out running, cycling, walking, rowing, spinning you name it and 8 out of 10 people are doing it. Don't get me wrong its brillant people are doing it but It's like an epidemic now and everyone is taking to it. How did this all take off? I often wonder.

For years I thought people just came together to spin around in a room when they said this!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭leonidas83

pragmatic1 wrote: »
    Cause theres **** all else to do on the dole apart from ****, smoking and eating.

yah u could emigrate, thats always a good solution to having **** all to do here

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,871 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

Fighting back here OP....Lie on the couch scratching my balls most nights....exercise my arsè

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,073 ✭✭✭Pottler

Same reasons aply for the upsurge in interest in "bet-down fashion" like punk, grunge and hipsters as well as music and theatre - if you're not hell bent on becoming a suit in a big company with a mortgage, a new car and fancy holidays, you suddenly discover more normal interests to pursue, like sport, fashion and culture. Personally, I'm too feckin busy and don't have the spare energy, but there ya go.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,498 ✭✭✭BrokenArrows

leonidas83 wrote: »
    yah u could emigrate, thats always a good solution to having **** all to do here

thats what i did and it worked. I dont do **** all in ireland anymore. :D

however i get paid more in england but everything is more expensive. so i probably make the same amount of money at the end of the day!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭Amprodude

mfceiling wrote: »
    Fighting back here OP....Lie on the couch scratching my balls most nights....exercise my arsè

I thought of you too that's why I said 8 out of 10 people. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,293 ✭✭✭1ZRed

....exercise my arsè
    If that's an invitation ..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

They're all freaks OP. Ignore fitness freaks, they're just addicts. Literally.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,069 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

Better them running & cycling etc than going to the gym a few nights a week to do 10 minutes on a rowing machine and sweat it in a sauna.. as was the case for many during the boom years.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

1ZRed wrote: »
    For years I thought people just came together to spin around in a room when they said this!

you are not the only one

i only found out last week what spinning was when I actually bothered googling it

whole series of weird misconceptions about gyms vanished in the space of a minute

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,975 ✭✭✭W.Shakes-Beer

Goes hand in hand with the number of morons on Facebook who like to announce their "check in" at the gym.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,144 ✭✭✭Katgurl

It's recession related, it was the same in the 80s. After the first dip in the economy the gyms filled as people who would have had memberships but not used them due to too many social engagements found themselves free in the evenings. Then the outdoor running epidemic began after gym memberships expired and people found themselves unable to renew gym memberships.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

ireland had gyms in the 80's?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 914 ✭✭✭tommyboy2222

It's the new sign of middle aged crisis.

People can't afford sports cars so now it's ironmans and triathalons !!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

ireland had gyms in the 80's?

Yep. Mainly filled with very muscly men pumped up on steroids.

Kinda like a Frankie Goes to Hollywood video with headbands.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,438 ✭✭✭✭El Guapo!

Goes hand in hand with the number of morons on Facebook who like to announce their "check in" at the gym.

This.

I've no problem with people getting fit and healthy. That's brilliant for them, but I don't want to know how hard you worked out and I certainly don't want to see a photo of your "healthy" breakfast every fukn day!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,206 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

They say the "fitness" boom happened in the 90s. People became more aware healthy living and diet. The business is worth billions a year.

But op, half of the time people are lying when they talk about working out or keeping fit. I have countless examples of hearing such crap about people putting in these amazing, world class workouts... yet the person is fat or skinny or gets out of breath going up the stairs.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,094 ✭✭✭SpaceCowb0y

Yep. Mainly filled with very muscly men pumped up on steroids.

Kinda like a Frankie Goes to Hollywood video with headbands.

As opposed to todays average gym goer... a middle aged, overweight, thinning man with feck all else to do!?:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,573 ✭✭✭pragmatic1

leonidas83 wrote: »
    Don't need to as I have a job here. But remember my dole days fondly.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,505 ✭✭✭ArtyC

Yep- less work now means I've time to head to the gym

• Closed Accounts Posts: 497 ✭✭akura

Was driving home this evening, about 2 minutes from home I was entering the town where there is a sharp enough bend and there come about 5/6 cunts running in the middle of the road I nearly **** myself, fupin asshole's and the bit that anoyed me most is that there was an empty footpath right beside them

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,204 ✭✭✭dodderangler

Jim royal
    That you?

• Registered Users Posts: 49 kissthesky

Goes hand in hand with the number of morons on Facebook who like to announce their "check in" at the gym

I've no problem with people getting fit and healthy. That's brilliant for them, but I don't want to know how hard you worked out and I certainly don't want to see a photo of your "healthy" breakfast every fukn day!

There must be an app/gizmo out at the moment cos three lads I know and who are on facebook have lately have loads of fitness related stuff posted up on their page : giving the time they started their run, their heart rate during the run, the distance covered and the time they finished their run.
    It looks like an automated feed that they have set up. I dont know whether to applaud their efforts running or their efforts to let everyone else know what they're doing.
    Either way, if this is an app etc, then it brings facebook one upmanship to a new level.
    Just when I was getting used to this crack on facebook:

Ted 1 : Just back from Cambodia. Will never forget staying in a hut with kind locals and helping them bring in their rice harvest.
    Ted 2 : ( posted 5 mins later ) Glad you had a great time Ted 1.
    I remember travelling in Cambodia ( **i.e I was there for two weeks and not just a mere tourist like you ) we helped the locals sow the rice and hump it into the paddyfields
    Ted 3 : What a coincidence. When I lived in Cambodia and obviously not as a tourist or a traveller, (**I was there for three weeks ), I remember digging out the fields with the villagers using our hands and a rusty spoon.

This cockwaving goes on for another few posts and then fizzles out, normally with something along the lines of ' yeah Cambodia is great but then when I was in Peru blah blah blah. '

I suppose its better than people drinking and smoking themselves to death and people are now looking after themselves. I know in the old days, say 15 yrs ago, if you were out walking/running/cycling etc on the roads you would nearly be locked up for it. People would say is your man/woman right in the head, off jogging at 9 o clock on a Saturday nite when they could be having a pint and a few fags to round off the week.
    Different times I guess and probably better for it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,704 ✭✭✭squod

Everyone should work-out. It stops you looking at Coronation street and looing like people from Coronation street.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭househero

Amprodude wrote: »
    How did all this all take off?

Smoking ban + Recession = closed pubs & (bored) healthy people

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,033 ✭✭✭mauzo

squod wrote: »
    Everyone should work-out. It stops you looking at Coronation street and looing like people from Coronation street.

So if I don't work out I'll look like tina in coronation street?!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,372 ✭✭✭im invisible

same young ones who go out for "vino" with the "girlies" at the weekend

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,572 ✭✭✭msg11

Well OP the dog is not going to walk itself..

Seriously the amount of so called gym goers that have no idea about supplements, vitamins, daily calorie intake to gain/lose, right foods to eat etc.. They seem to think that if they go the gym the weight will fall off them or jump on them. The diet is more important than the workout.

Advertisement