Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Essence of Dublin

• 10-10-2012 11:03pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 588 ✭✭✭

So, I have been asked to do a set of photo's for a family member and the brief is pretty vague

They want, 'something that says Dublin, but a little bit quirky'

So far, I'm thinking of the following although not quite sure what the quirky element will be on all of them

St James Gate
    Croke Park
    Customs House
    Christ Church
    St Patricks Cathedral
    Dublin Castle
    O'Connell / Grafton St
    Ha'Penny Bridge
    Poolbeg Towers

Anything glaringly obvious I'm missing or any inspiring ideas?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,407 ✭✭✭Promac

The women selling fruit out of prams on Capel St/Henry St. They always kind of sum up dublin for me and make a good street photo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,404 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

Out the bull wall

Dollymount & Sandymount Strand

Phoenix Park

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,250 ✭✭✭pixbyjohn

Get a shot on Moore Street of the fruit sellers
    A shot of a newborn babe at the entrance of the National Maternity Hospital at Holles Street and maybe a shot of Guinness gates

• Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭paudgenator

Grand Canal..the locks/barges etc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,876 ✭✭✭Scortho

Grand Canal dock maybe near the theatre with the alto vetro in the background!
    Henrietta St is another place to look at! really quiet up there as well!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,721 ✭✭✭✭CianRyan

Merion Square and the general area, Baggot Street down by the Canal?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,836 ✭✭✭Sir Gallagher

A suited and booted piebald standing on top of the spire snorting a tesco bag full of heroin infused Dom Perignon should do the job.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,747 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

Theres a guy sells photos in Georges arcade (on the narrow side at Georges St end). He has assembles lots of photos to make one complete photos and his subject matters are things like the Iveagh Buildings... very recognisable & iconic... as Dub living abroad, these struck me as very Dublin and quite quirky. I bought a couple & will buy more next time I'm home.

Have a look at what he's up to... & then find your own direction... for me, his photos show the potential; of what can be done.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,407 ✭✭✭Promac

Bluefoam wrote: »
    Theres a guy sells photos in Georges arcade (on the narrow side at Georges St end). He has assembles lots of photos to make one complete photos and his subject matters are things like the Iveagh Buildings... very recognisable & iconic... as Dub living abroad, these struck me as very Dublin and quite quirky. I bought a couple & will buy more next time I'm home.

Have a look at what he's up to... & then find your own direction... for me, his photos show the potential; of what can be done.

Is that Humberklog?
    :)

Iveagh Buildings
    Old Warehouses at Hanover Quay
    Cottages in Portabello
    Georgian Houses/Streetscape
    Georges Arcade
    O'Donoghues Shopfront & Laneway
    Various Bridges across Liffey
    Smithfield Markets
    Grand Canal Dock
    Georges Dock
    Liberty Hall
    Gas Building on Westmoreland St
    Bull Island Bridge
    The Stags Head
    Statues & Sculpures... Phillo, Molly, Padraig, Pat Kavanagh, footsteps on north quays & goldfish trapped inside lights recessed into ground
    Blackrock Baths (if they are still standing)

Added:
    Herbert Park Bandstands
    St Annes Park Follies
    Georgian Railings
    Gargoyles on Nassau St
    Powerscourt Town House

Added
    Bolands Mills & adjacent buildings
    Canal Locks & Barges

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,907 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

Dublin has the most chronic anti social behaviour in the most prominent of places so maybe try and capture that?
    Maybe someday there'll be an effort to clean up the city and this integral part of the inner city will be lost forever. Its THE essence of the city that always sticks in my memory when thinking of the city from afar.

So first I'd suggest looking on O Connell st. Theres always heaps of characters hanging about there in the centre of the street at the junction with Abbey St.
    Maybe go for a pint in messers and wait for druggies to come up looking for cash. Background of the river/ high level railway beidge.
    Check out the various luas ticket machines, the Heuston station one would be a good scene, scumbag in the foreground and magnificent building in the background
    Theres plenty of characters in various side alleys off Abbey St but lighting may be difficult there.

The only problem you may have is scumbags who you are photographing robbing your camera so you'd want to consider whether it'd be worth trying to capture what is the true living essence of Dublin city.

Dublin has the most chronic anti social behaviour in the most prominent of places so maybe try and capture that?
    Maybe someday there'll be an effort to clean up the city and this integral part of the inner city will be lost forever. Its THE essence of the city that always sticks in my memory when thinking of the city from afar.

So first I'd suggest looking on O Connell st. Theres always heaps of characters hanging about there in the centre of the street at the junction with Abbey St.
    Maybe go for a pint in messers and wait for druggies to come up looking for cash. Background of the river/ high level railway beidge.
    Check out the various luas ticket machines, the Heuston station one would be a good scene, scumbag in the foreground and magnificent building in the background
    Theres plenty of characters in various side alleys off Abbey St but lighting may be difficult there.

The only problem you may have is scumbags who you are photographing robbing your camera so you'd want to consider whether it'd be worth trying to capture what is the true living essence of Dublin city.

& Munich is lovely, I swear, no junkies at all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,235 ✭✭✭bullpost

The Dail when there's a protest outside - which is most of the time right now.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,581 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

Bluefoam wrote: »

Eh, yikes. Thanks very much:).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 255 ✭✭vic20

Lao Lao wrote: »
    <snip>
    They want, 'something that says Dublin, but a little bit quirky'
    <snip>
    Anything glaringly obvious I'm missing or any inspiring ideas?

A signpost for Cork...? :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,836 ✭✭✭Sir Gallagher

Somebody's afraid of the big bad city..poor baby.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,876 ✭✭✭Scortho

Maybe something like the old redbrick warehouses on the way up towards grand Canal dock just after the samuel beckett bridge!
    Has anyone mentioned the Pigeon House Towers?
    The grand Masonic lodge of ireland as well

Advertisement