Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Where did my career go (the Francis Jeffers Story)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,998 ✭✭✭leakyboots

Fellas I know from Championship Manager (!) who burn brightly at the start and then fade away - Freddie Adu (now back with Philadelphia in the MLS), Nii Lamptey

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

Matt Jansen is another. Sad story really, here's the link:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/8647167.stm

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭breffni666

Everton have developed a good few who went on to mediocre carreers. Bridge, Branch, Ball, Cadamarteri and Jeffers come to mind. Excellent youths but not men!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,746 ✭✭✭TaosHum

Remember alot of stir about Stephen Elliott bout 10 years back. Did well for the mackems, now at Coventry.

• Registered Users Posts: 487 ✭✭Thatsfootball

Remember there was great fuss for Joaquín a long time ago.
    Also Vicente, once subject of something like a 30 million bid from Real Madrid now plays for Brighton.
    BTW great thread!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,600 ✭✭✭roryc

Jason Todd wrote: »
    Remember the young Irish lad at Liverpool, Richie Partridge. I always gave him games in old Championship Managers as he was Irish, but I'm not sure if he even made a handful of appearances for the first team. Last I heard he was in League 1 or 2. Can anyone shed some light on his story?

My Dad managed Stella Maris for years and Richie was part of an incredible team including Joe Murphy and Keith Andrews. I think 8 or 9 of them got picked up by English clubs when they were about 16/17.

Richie was actually rooming with Micheal Owen when they were at Liverpool, with both tipped to be the 'next big thing', although his career never really took off. This may shed some light on how he's now married to Michael Owen's sister :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,580 ✭✭✭✭CSF

osarusan wrote: »
    Lee Hendrie is another who ended up as a wandering minstrel after such a bright start.

And pineapple head, although he was never the brighest of shining stars.
    I was in Lee Hendrie's house as a kid. Kind of random.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

roryc wrote: »
    My Dad managed Stella Maris for years and Richie was part of an incredible team including Joe Murphy and Keith Andrews. I think 8 or 9 of them got picked up by English clubs when they were about 16/17.

Richie was actually rooming with Micheal Owen when they were at Liverpool, with both tipped to be the 'next big thing', although his career never really took off. This may shed some light on how he's now married to Michael Owen's sister :)

Richie's mother was my playschool teachers' assistant (in reality her next door neighbour who popped in for tea) and he was a lovely bloke anytime he came home, always had us doing laps with him in the park. He went out with the school hottie for years. She ended up going out with one of the slain Westies Gang Members while Richie married Michael Owen's sister.

On a sad note, Richie saw his dad die while he was playing a match. Just collapsed on the sidelines with a heart issue. Horrible for a young lad to see that.

Quick query: Anyone remember a lad called Sean Dundee that was tipped to play for Ireland due to the granny rule circa 97/98?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Omackeral wrote: »

Quick query: Anyone remember a lad called Sean Dundee that was tipped to play for Ireland due to the granny rule circa 97/98?

No, he never existed, right.

:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,819 ✭✭✭Hannibal

Omackeral wrote: »
    the South African born German, had a good career in the Bundesliga but didn't fare too well in his one season for Liverpool

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,516 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

Mildly interesting (if not a little voyeuristic) to see some of the players who end up being declared bankrupt in their 30s despite probably earning the guts of €3M over the previous dozen years.

Such as Carl Cort, Jason Euell, Celestine Babayaro, Jon Arne-Riise.
    http://www.thisismoney.co.uk/money/news/article-2115420/Surge-flight-footballers-facing-bankruptcy-film-property-investments-turn-sour.html?ITO=1490

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,632 ✭✭✭token56

I think David Bentley has to go down as one whose career never got going despite showing huge potential. Has been signed to spurs since 2008 but has never been able to get anywhere near a regular starting position and is currently on loan in Russia. I still remember him scoring a cracking goal for spurs against Arsenal in a match that ended 4-4. He always seemed to have talent though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,109 ✭✭✭RikkFlair

Always wondered what happened to Sebastian Deisler, tipped as Germanys next big thing around Euro 2000. Remembering him missing an absolute sitter in the famous 5-1 game vs England. Turns out he retired with injury at just 27.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,050 ✭✭✭token101

RikkFlair wrote: »
    Always wondered what happened to Sebastian Deisler, tipped as Germanys next big thing around Euro 2000. Remembering him missing an absolute sitter in the famous 5-1 game vs England. Turns out he retired with injury at just 27.

He was very, very bad with depression as well. Had serious problems with it from what I remember.

Keith O'Neill's story is really sad, he was looked good at Norwich, like Darren Eadie, another guy who looked class.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

token101 wrote: »
    He was very, very bad with depression as well. Had serious problems with it from what I remember.

Keith O'Neill's story is really sad, he was looked good at Norwich, like Darren Eadie, another guy who looked class.

He has more mental health issues than just depression.
    He seems to have a touch of paranoia too, is meant to have spent a day ripping his house apart looking for cameras and microphones because he was convinced Bayer were spying on him.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

token56 wrote: »
    I think David Bentley has to go down as one whose career never got going despite showing huge potential. Has been signed to spurs since 2008 but has never been able to get anywhere near a regular starting position and is currently on loan in Russia. I still remember him scoring a cracking goal for spurs against Arsenal in a match that ended 4-4. He always seemed to have talent though.

Scored a hat trick against Utd during his time at Blackburn as well

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,182 ✭✭✭Sappy404

Helix wrote: »
    The word is he invested most of his income in south American produce

Fray Bentos? ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,468 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

Few Newcastle players

Hugo Viana- Was hugely rated at Sporting and moved to Newcastle for £12 million, this guy was going to be next David Ginola etc..never took off and moved back to Sporting on loan and eventually onto Valenica..currently now at Portugese club Braga and still only 29 years of age.

Alessandro Pistone- This guy was to be Paola Maldini's successor in the Italian team so highly rated was he. Moved to Newcastle from Inter and got injured etc and got froze out by Ruud Gullit...played at Everton for a few years but then left and eventually joining Mons.
    His total international caps? 13 under-21.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,220 ✭✭✭20 Times 20 Times

mike65 wrote: »
    Declared bankrupt January 2012, you'd have to wonder how that happens even if he has been out of the top flight for 5 years.

You need to watch the ESPN documentary 30 for 30 in relation to NFL superstars that 75% are declare bankrupt within 5 years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,787 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

Alex Manninger.

Had some great performances for Arsenal in the late '90s then vanished.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,939 ✭✭✭ballsymchugh

Jason Todd wrote: »
    Here's someone I always wondered about as I was given a present of his actual jersey when I was small. Keith O'Neill.

Wiki:

That's a horrible way for a career to end. :(

keith o'neill works for a meat processing plant (could be a proper butcher either) in cornwall or devon now with his father in law. he was on off the ball maybe 6 months ago talking about it. seemed very content even with the cards he was dealt with.

Albert Luque had the makings of a top striker at Deportivo moved to Newcastle and then his career went on the slide after that

Remember Malcolm Christie?? Played with Derby County.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭aidan24326

Mark Bosnich is another one whose career went downhill in a hurry. He appeared on a Sky TV show a few years ago, two stone overweight and playing alongside a bunch of d-list celebrities at a time when he could still have been playing at least championship level had he not messed it all up.

He was also declared bankrupt in 2008. What do these people do with all their money? Hard to believe someone could be earning a million per year snd still end up with nothing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,584 ✭✭✭Rekop dog

Blazer wrote: »
    Few Newcastle players

Hugo Viana- Was hugely rated at Sporting and moved to Newcastle for £12 million, this guy was going to be next David Ginola etc..never took off and moved back to Sporting on loan and eventually onto Valenica..currently now at Portugese club Braga and still only 29 years of age.

Alessandro Pistone- This guy was to be Paola Maldini's successor in the Italian team so highly rated was he. Moved to Newcastle from Inter and got injured etc and got froze out by Ruud Gullit...played at Everton for a few years but then left and eventually joining Mons.
    His total international caps? 13 under-21.

Braga are a very good side, prob better than Newcastle, hardly a massive fall from grace!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭Jason Todd

Albert Luque had the makings of a top striker at Deportivo moved to Newcastle and then his career went on the slide after that

Remember Malcolm Christie?? Played with Derby County.

He went from non-league to Prem football very quickly iirc. He had been working in Asda or somewhere like that part-time when he was picked. Played for Middlesbrough too.

Edit: Just read there that he actually played for Leeds as recently as 2008 but suffered a spinal injury in 2009 and became a salesman for Aston Martin? He was dogged by injury for his whole career by the looks of things.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,881 ✭✭✭Easy Rod

padd b1975 wrote: »
    Alex Manninger.

Linked with Everton (I think) only the other day.

Always liked him as a keeper, think he went to a Swiss team and then was back up to Buffon at Juve for a good while?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,468 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

Rekop dog wrote: »
    Braga are a very good side, prob better than Newcastle, hardly a massive fall from grace!

You LIE :mad:
    Probably a Sunderland fan ;)

Nah this guy was going to be playing with the likes of Real or Barca he was rated that highly.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,787 ✭✭✭Jayob10

Blazer wrote: »
    You LIE :mad:
    Probably a Sunderland fan ;)

Nah this guy was going to be playing with the likes of Real or Barca he was rated that highly.

Viana, Luque, Guivarch, Cort, Pistone? The list could go on.

Moral of the story? Don't sign for Newcastle :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,554 ✭✭✭LeBash

Massimo Taibi. If im not mistaken, at the time it was the highest transfer fee paid for a Goalkeeper when he went to Man U for 4.5 Million.

4 First Team appearances later and he was a reserve.

To be fair he hardly fell on his face as he ended up in Serie A after that but he was loaned out a lot and never made any huge impact anywhere.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭aidan24326

LeBash wrote: »
    Massimo Taibi. If im not mistaken, at the time it was the highest transfer fee paid for a Goalkeeper when he went to Man U for 4.5 Million.

4 First Team appearances later and he was a reserve.

To be fair he hardly fell on his face as he ended up in Serie A after that but he was loaned out a lot and never made any huge impact anywhere.

He was a bit of a panic buy that didn't work out but you wonder if he could have been given more of a chance. Only got 4 games. De Gea was equally dodgy in his first few games but has shown improvement since.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,113 ✭✭✭Lumbo

breffni666 wrote: »
    Everton have developed a good few who went on to mediocre carreers. Bridge, Branch, Ball, Cadamarteri and Jeffers come to mind. Excellent youths but not men!

Yeah, there's been a few more in recent years. Bjarni Vidarsson, Jose Baxter, James Vaughan, Nick Chadwick. All the next Wayne Rooney's :rolleyes:

George Green, remember the name :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭FatherTed

Chris Bart-Williams. Another blast from the past with a name we all remember. Made his name at Sheffield Wednesday and Nottingham Forest. Just saw a piece the other day on TV here, he's now a coach at a college not too far from me in Connecticut.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,509 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

padd b1975 wrote: »
    Alex Manninger.

'Vanished' to Fiorentina and Juventus (and bizarrely about 3 clubs a season in between).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,246 ✭✭✭Esse85

Brad Friedal also declared bankrupt!

Stan Collymore was another who should of achieved far more.

The Moore brothers at Villa were tipped for big things.

Darius Vassell, last I heard he was in Turkey. Must have close to 30 England caps!

Esse85 wrote: »
    The Moore brothers at Villa were tipped for big things

Luke Moore is still in the Premer League though, hardly a big fall from grace Villa to Swansea. Probably a step up these days :P

Breno, Brazilian centre back for Bayern Munich. They paid Sao Paolo 12 million for him few years back. Last year he burned his rented villa down. He was supposedly getting psychiatric treatment at the time. He's doing three and a half years for arson now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,800 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

token101 wrote: »
    Breno, Brazilian centre back for Bayern Munich. They paid Sao Paolo 12 million for him few years back. Last year he burned his rented villa down. He was supposedly getting psychiatric treatment at the time. He's doing three and a half years for arson now.
    I did not know that. Wow.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,907 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

aidan24326 wrote: »
    Mark Bosnich is another one whose career went downhill in a hurry. He appeared on a Sky TV show a few years ago, two stone overweight and playing alongside a bunch of d-list celebrities at a time when he could still have been playing at least championship level had he not messed it all up.

He was also declared bankrupt in 2008. What do these people do with all their money? Hard to believe someone could be earning a million per year snd still end up with nothing.

Well it's no secret what Bosnich did with his.

He moved back to Sydney and had to live with his parents for a while until he got pay cheques from Fox Sports for punditry work. Now he's doing quite well for himself as a weekly A-League and Premier League pundit, while also being the subject of much ridicule for his hair in particular.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,804 Mod ✭✭✭✭Keano

Speaking of Lee Hendrie...

His is playing with Tamworth in the conference.

Interview in the Guardian here

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,627 ✭✭✭Sgt Pepper 64

Fernando Torres was missing for AGES! :D

(Sorry - couldnt resist!)

• Advertisement

Adriano. Got released from Corinthians in the summer because he just couldnt be arsed anymore! Then signed for Flamengo, don't think he's played for them yet. Denilson's another one, from world record transfer to pĺaying in Texas and Vietnam.

Cherno Samba, Terry Dixon and Jeremie Aliadiere all spring to mind from various CM games!

This was actually a class idea for a thread!

Probably the strangest career of them all was the career of Winston Bogarde

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,477 ✭✭✭grenache

FatherTed wrote: »
    Chris Bart-Williams. Another blast from the past with a name we all remember. Made his name at Sheffield Wednesday and Nottingham Forest. Just saw a piece the other day on TV here, he's now a coach at a college not too far from me in Connecticut.
    He was Forest's main man between 98 and 01. If he wasn't playing, Forest couldn't hope to win.

However he wasn't the nicest of guys. Our branch of supporters club presented him with the Player of the Year trophy in 2001, he couldn't wait to get away and barely even acknowledged us. I don't think I've met a more obnoxious footballerer. We presented Andy Reid with the same prize in 2004, he was a perfect gentleman and more.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,746 ✭✭✭TaosHum

Don't agree on the Hugo Viana one either. Lad has been at the heart for a very good Braga side and made the Portuguese Euro squad this year.

Kieron Dyer is another one that springs to mind. One his day, he was damn near unstoppable. Injuries however killed his career. At QPR now I think, but has only made a few appearances in the past few years.

Darren Ambrose is another who signed for Newcastle that was supposed to have a big future. Unfortunately he never cut it at Premiership level and has bounced around the Championship the last number of years. Now at Birmingham.

Jermaine Jenas also promised much, signed for Newcastle when he was 18/19 for 5m, where he did well to his credit. Went to Spurs then for 7m, where thing didn't work out for him. Now on-loan from Villa to Forest.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,416 ✭✭✭Jimmy Iovine

Freddie Adu usually gets mentioned in these threads.

What about Hugo Viana? Think he was voted European Young POTY and then moved to Newcastle. Haven't really heard much mention of him since to be honest.

EDIT: I think Viana has been listed already. If so then ignore the second half of my post.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,037 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

Probably the strangest career of them all was the career of Winston Bogarde

Wasn't he on 40 grand a week at Chelsea and only played 3 or 4 games.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,064 ✭✭✭✭eh i dunno

Was meant to be the new Gazza 20 years ago at Everton. Billy kenny..what a waste of talent http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Billy_Kenny_(footballer_born_1973)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Darren Huckerby.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭Joshua J

Two of my favorite Everton nearlies were Tony "Grantona" Grant, who was a fairly good centre mid but ended up playing for the likes of Burnley and Crewe before retiring now coach at Blackburn and Stuart "jigsaw" Barlow, so named cause he always fell apart in the box, now coach with Bamber Bridge.

Also Stephen Hughes and Danny Williamson were always hughly regarded. Still laugh thinking how we got 8 mill off the gunners for franny. Top lad.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,724 ✭✭✭tallaghtmick

Lumbo wrote: »
    Yeah, there's been a few more in recent years. Bjarni Vidarsson, Jose Baxter, James Vaughan, Nick Chadwick. All the next Wayne Rooney's :rolleyes:

George Green, remember the name :D

He's only 20 and I think in the England u21 squad hardly a fall from grace.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,064 ✭✭✭✭eh i dunno

He's only 20 and I think in the England u21 squad hardly a fall from grace.

On a 4 month contract with Oldham and i doubt he's in the England u21.s. Was hyped as the new Rooney 4 years ago but never even looked fit enough to play premiership football. Think Palace turned him down in the summer after a trial in the summer too

• Advertisement
Advertisement