Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Where did my career go (the Francis Jeffers Story)

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭leonidas83

Was always very dissappointed with the way Faustino Asprilla's career ended up, he showed unbelievable potential with Colombia & Parma early on in his career but never quite hit those heights at Newcastle or Parma again after. Felt he always lacked a bit of self discipline but this probably would taken away from the player, when he was on form he was phenemonal to watch but his goals to matches ratio is quite dissappointing. Still my favourite player though

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 380 ✭✭Past30Now

dreamers75 wrote: »
    Goalie went to waterford and then wanted to play GAA.

Cant remember his name but he trained with St Pats at the start of the season and we didnt sign him.

Shane Supple is the guys name. Plays with St. Brigids, Blanchardstown. Trained with the Dublin Senior panel last year, and I think he played in a couple of O'Byrne Cup matches. Didn't displace Savage as reserve keeper.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Past30Now wrote: »
    Shane Supple is the guys name. Plays with St. Brigids, Blanchardstown. Trained with the Dublin Senior panel last year, and I think he played in a couple of O'Byrne Cup matches. Didn't displace Savage as reserve keeper.

Loves his 1-30 pints too

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 957 ✭✭✭Wexfordboy89

Past30Now wrote: »

thats the lads name he was fairly good aswell he was starting to nail down there number 1 spot aswell. if he was still playing he could very well be the irish number one now

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,526 ✭✭✭glenjamin

Does anyone remember the name Patrick Kohlmann? I remember about 10 years ago seeing this lad at Dortmund and hoping he would choose Ireland over Germany. Turns out he did but it didn't really matter in the end. Only made 1 appearance for Dortmund and now plays for Union Berlin in the German 2nd division.

World Cup winner Rivaldo still going at 40. Now plays for Kabuscorp in Angola. Always reminded of a song when you hear about players like Rivaldo - "It's better to burn out, then fade away".

• Advertisement

glenjamin wrote: »
    Does anyone remember the name Patrick Kohlmann? I remember about 10 years ago seeing this lad at Dortmund and hoping he would choose Ireland over Germany. Turns out he did but it didn't really matter in the end. Only made 1 appearance for Dortmund and now plays for Union Berlin in the German 2nd division.

World Cup winner Rivaldo still going at 40. Now plays for Kabuscorp in Angola. Always reminded of a song when you hear about players like Rivaldo - "It's better to burn out, then fade away".

dont remember kohlmann but have heard of him think he had an irish mother a bit like that young selcuk tidim kid who was at st pauli until last season.Rivaldo is in angloa now hahah what the last i heard is was back in brazil after his contract with that team from unzbekistan was finished jaysus he hardly that hard up for money especially after the money the unzbeki team payed him someting like 10million a season

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,482 ✭✭✭brick tamland

Shaun Byrne the captain of that side now plays with Slough Town,heres where the rest of the team finished up with their club from 1998 in brackets
    Surely someone on here knows if Keith Foy and Brendan McMahon are still stuck in football playing at some level?

Joe Murphy : Coventry City (Tranmere Rovers)
    John Thompson : Mansfield Town (Home Farm)
    Keith Foy : ???? (Nottingham Forest)
    Jim Goodwin : St Mirren (Celtic)
    John O'Shea : Sunderland (Waterford Bohs)
    Andy Reid : Nottingham Forest (Nottingham Forset)
    Shaun Byrne : Slough Town (West Ham)
    Brendan McGill : Free Agent (Rivervalley Rangers)
    David McMahon : ???? (Newcastle Utd)
    Liam Miller : Perth Glory (Celtic)
    Graham Barrett : Retired (Arsenal)

Foy had a bad weight problem by the time he got back to the LOI, rumours were he enjoyed the odd drink. Last I heard was playing way down the LSL divisions somewhere. I think McMahon gave up the game a few years after the euros win.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,509 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

leonidas83 wrote: »
    Felt he always lacked a bit of self discipline

That's putting it mildly!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,116 ✭✭✭starviewadams

• Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

What about Stephen Mcphail lads,I know he still playing in Championship with Cardiff but the potential he showed as a young player I thought he would be go on to be a top EPL player and International player for us,only 10 caps.

• Advertisement

What about Stephen Mcphail lads,I know he still playing in Championship but the potential he showed as a young player I thought he would be go on to be a top EPL player and International player for us,only 10 caps.

forgot about him i mentioned on an earlier post darren potter was at liverpool a few years back think he even has 5caps for ireland.keith o neill was another i mentioned injury shortened his career some bone disorder.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,044 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

dont remember kohlmann but have heard of him think he had an irish mother a bit like that young selcuk tidim kid who was at st pauli until last season.Rivaldo is in angloa now hahah what the last i heard is was back in brazil after his contract with that team from unzbekistan was finished jaysus he hardly that hard up for money especially after the money the unzbeki team payed him someting like 10million a season

To be honest, I think i'd do the same if I were him. I doubt it's about the money at this point, but when you finish playing football - that's it - for the rest of your life. Fuck that!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,393 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

Gilbert was at Shamrock Rovers this year. Truly awful footballer. He had no first touch, which amazed me as he played CL football. One of the worst I've ever seen in a hoops jersey, and I've seen some duds.

I think he's woeful. Ex-Arsenal, played in Champions league etc... I hope he goes back to England once his contract is up.

Someone mentioned Michael Reddy and Falklands, I was told this wasn't true at all. It was on wikipedia that he met a Falklands native while playing in Greenland and moved there. I remember watching him score for Sunderland, it was a rebound from a penalty, I think it was against Middlesboro. I don't think he was ever near the £5 million mark that was suggested by Peter Reid, although if he had been sold for that, Kilkenny City might still be going. I think Dave Mulcahy is probably the most prominent Kilkenny native in recent years.

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Remember this guy,Michael Branch?

everton-michael-branch-239-merlin-premier-league-98-football-sticker-57976-p.jpg

He's been sentenced to 7 years for drug dealing.
    A former Everton striker has been jailed for seven years after he pleaded guilty to selling drugs.

Michael Branch, who has also played for Manchester City, Birmingham City and Wolves, appeared at Chester Crown Court and pleaded guilty to two charges.

The 34-year-old, whose last club was Northern Premier League side Burscough, was charged with handing over just under 3kg of amphetamine to another man in a car park in Liverpool.

The second charge was related to the seizure of 1kg high-purity (82%) cocaine from his Otterspool home on July 10.

The prosecution was brought by the Serious Organised Crime Agency (SOCA).

A spokesman told the Liverpool Echo: “This was significant criminality committed by someone who would once have been viewed as a role model.

“The message here is that entering the illegal drugs trade is a route to prison, not to financial gain and a celebrity lifestyle.”

Branch began his football career in the Everton youth academy and made his debut for the first team in 1996, when he was just 18.

After a number of loan spells, he was sold to Wolves in 2000 for £500,000. After a season and a half in the first team at Molineux, he was loaned to Reading and then Hull City, before signing for Bradford in 2003.

Spells at Chester City and Halifax Town followed, before he finished his playing career with Burscough in 2010.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/ex-everton-striker-michael-branch-given-1425089

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Seem to remember Michael Branch being unreal in Championship Manager 98 or something :P

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,906 ✭✭✭✭PhlegmyMoses

Seem to remember Michael Branch being unreal in Championship Manager 98 or something :P

Everton in general were immense back then. The makers of the game were Everton fans. I remember Howard Kendall being the highest up manager in the Hall of Fame too.

As for Branch, what an idiot. Must have been hard up, though. Also, 82% pure :eek: Did he import it directly from Colombia?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,109 ✭✭✭RikkFlair

Remember Marcelo Salas? Cracking goal at Wembley and everyone was raving about him at the time. Had a few injuries after that and kinda vanished off the radar.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,379 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

Should probably throw Savio Nsereko in here, searched him name but no results.

Very promising African-born German underage international who was always a bit mentally weak. Most will remember him signing for West Ham for something like €13m only a few years ago:
    SavioNsereko1.jpg

Didn't work out, he left a few months later to join Fiorentina, who sent him out on loan to a bunch of different clubs, sometimes making news for the wrong reasons like disappearing suddenly for days/weeks only to turn up again. He signed for SpVgg Unterhaching in the German 3.liga this past summer but his contract was terminated in October. He then went missing again before turning up in Thailand, where he spent over 20k partying. He ran out of money so he faked his own kidnapping to try and get his family to send him money, which they didn't do.

He was then arrested and has been in Thai prison for the past few weeks AFAIK.
    222731hp2.jpg

edit: Just consulted google, says they were preparing to deport him to Germany in an article on Bild dated 27th Oct.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,465 ✭✭✭kitakyushu

The next game he appears in will probably be one of the GTA series.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,477 ✭✭✭grenache

keith foy scored the winner against italy in u16 euro champs final in 1998 went to england a year or two later to play for Notts Forrest and Doncaster rovers last i heard about him he was at monaghan united a few years ago
    :mad:

(Foy was already with Forest when he was scoring that goal)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,849 ✭✭✭764dak

padd b1975 wrote: »
    Alex Manninger.

Had some great performances for Arsenal in the late '90s then vanished.

He was starting goalkeeper for Juventus during 2008 and 2009 while Buffon was injured.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,800 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

Michael Johnson at Man City was once touted as being a future England international. Whatever happened to him?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,259 ✭✭✭✭Melion

Michael Johnson at Man City was once touted as being a future England international. Whatever happened to him?

He is still contracted to City but injuries have hit him hard.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

Melion wrote: »
    He is still contracted to City but injuries have hit him hard.

And cakes.....lots of cakes.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/sport/blog/2012/jun/02/daniel-taylor-michael-johnson

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,428 ✭✭✭Talib Fiasco

Saw the mention of Jaoquin and Vicente just there. Two of my all time favourite wingers. Both used be solid in the Spanish set up too at one stage. Remember when they were both at Valencia and for a few games they were deadly...shame. At least Jaoquin is doing his thing at Malaga but seeing Vicente at Brighton is sad. Would gladly accept him as a City player...I'm sure he'd fit in at a lot of PL teams. Liverpool would be another... world class abilities but only showed glimpses of his potential. At least he was killer on Fifa!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭aidan24326

Probably the strangest career of them all was the career of Winston Bogarde

Strange indeed. Decided to just clock in/clock out and pick up the paycheques since he knew he wouldn't get anything like the same money elsewhere, even though he was shunned from the first team and made to train with the youths. Quote from his wiki page:

'Of the derision he received at the hands of the press, Bogarde responded, 'This world is about money, so when you are offered those millions you take them. Few people will ever earn so many. I am one of the few fortunates who do. I may be one of the worst buys in the history of the Premiership but I don't care.'

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,044 ✭✭✭steve_r

aidan24326 wrote: »
    Strange indeed. Decided to just clock in/clock out and pick up the paycheques since he knew he wouldn't get anything like the same money elsewhere, even though he was shunned from the first team and made to train with the youths. Quote from his wiki page:

'Of the derision he received at the hands of the press, Bogarde responded, 'This world is about money, so when you are offered those millions you take them. Few people will ever earn so many. I am one of the few fortunates who do. I may be one of the worst buys in the history of the Premiership but I don't care.'

His middle name is Lee Hendrie.

Just wanted to share that:)

• Site Banned Posts: 549 ✭✭✭Ares

Oatesy23 wrote: »
    Should probably throw Savio Nsereko in here, searched him name but no results.

Very promising African-born German underage international who was always a bit mentally weak. Most will remember him signing for West Ham for something like €13m only a few years ago:
    SavioNsereko1.jpg

Didn't work out, he left a few months later to join Fiorentina, who sent him out on loan to a bunch of different clubs, sometimes making news for the wrong reasons like disappearing suddenly for days/weeks only to turn up again. He signed for SpVgg Unterhaching in the German 3.liga this past summer but his contract was terminated in October. He then went missing again before turning up in Thailand, where he spent over 20k partying. He ran out of money so he faked his own kidnapping to try and get his family to send him money, which they didn't do.

He was then arrested and has been in Thai prison for the past few weeks AFAIK.
    222731hp2.jpg

edit: Just consulted google, says they were preparing to deport him to Germany in an article on Bild dated 27th Oct.

I've a friend from Munich who is/was very giood friends with Nsereko. It came up because he had a really expensive Louis Vitton satchel and he told that Nsereko had given it to him, for the craic. Nsereko just pissed away money on everything and anything. He would go into a nightclub and just throw 50's and 100's around the place as if he was king.

And now he's fúcked. Hopefully he's hit rock bottom and he can begin to sort himself out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,625 ✭✭✭flyswatter

RikkFlair wrote: »
    Remember Marcelo Salas? Cracking goal at Wembley and everyone was raving about him at the time. Had a few injuries after that and kinda vanished off the radar.

He was a bit more than that. I would have followed Lazio as my favourite team back in the late 90's when they were on Football Italia. He was definitely a star for a few seasons in Serie A in that period, scoring lots of goals. He did disappear though. Actually went to Juventus for a few years afterwards though, so more of a sidestep. Then back to South America.

Anyone remember Mista at Valencia around 6-8 years ago? Had one hell of a season if I remember rightly, but what the hell happened him after that?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭ASOT

Just read savios wikipedia, 6 year career playing 53 games for 9 clubs and hes still only, absolute idiot.

Remember Luis Fabiano? Seemed to have the world on his shoulders at one stage, most in demand striker for sure once...seemed to drift off the pecking order and is now wasting his days in Brazil.

TheComeUp wrote: »
    Remember Luis Fabiano? Seemed to have the world on his shoulders at one stage, most in demand striker for sure once...seemed to drift off the pecking order and is now wasting his days in Brazil.

He had a solid career in Europe and is now 32, playing for one of the biggest teams in Brazil/South America :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,672 ✭✭✭elefant

flyswatter wrote: »
    He was a bit more than that. I would have followed Lazio as my favourite team back in the late 90's when they were on Football Italia. He was definitely a star for a few seasons in Serie A in that period, scoring lots of goals. He did disappear though. Actually went to Juventus for a few years afterwards though, so more of a sidestep. Then back to South America.

Anyone remember Mista at Valencia around 6-8 years ago? Had one hell of a season if I remember rightly, but what the hell happened him after that?

Mista was never the most talented player- had one very good season surrounded by top-class players like Albelda, Baraja, Vicente, Aimar, Ayala.

Vicente, mentioned in this thread a couple of times, was untouchable in Valencia's double that season.

Oatesy23 wrote: »
    He had a solid career in Europe and is now 32, playing for one of the biggest teams in Brazil/South America :confused:

Oh no doubt he was sh*t hot for Sevilla but he just seemed to fade completely off peoples lists for the best strikers in the world. Honestly I think he should be plying his trade at a team like Liverpool where he'd fit in perfectly. In fairness going back to Brazil is basically admitting I'm not good enough any more or I just couldn't care anymore. Still well able to play in Europe and would probably get more money too...shame

Andy Murtagh loves man cheese.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,478 ✭✭✭✭gnfnrhead

In fairness going back to Brazil is basically admitting I'm not good enough any more or I just couldn't care anymore. Still well able to play in Europe and would probably get more money too...shame

Maybe he likes Brazil? Not playing in Europe does not mean the player is crap/past it/whatever other description you want to use.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

Oh no doubt he was sh*t hot for Sevilla but he just seemed to fade completely off peoples lists for the best strikers in the world. Honestly I think he should be plying his trade at a team like Liverpool where he'd fit in perfectly. In fairness going back to Brazil is basically admitting I'm not good enough any more or I just couldn't care anymore. Still well able to play in Europe and would probably get more money too...shame

He went home because he wanted to. He had offers from Serie A, La Liga, Bundesliga and Ligue 1 clubs. He was still first choice number 9 for the Brazil first team and started 20 games for Seville in the league before he left them that march.

He was far from admitting he wasn't good enough, he just decided to go home and be near his family and join his home town club, who he has supported his entire life and where he is considered a legend.

He's also being paid a **** ton of money.

Maybe he faded off some peoples list, but maybe that was because he was the wrong side of 30? Still a top player.

Going back to Brazil is far from admitting you aren't good enough. It is one of the best leagues outside of Europe. He woudn't earn as much as he does at Sao Paulo in Europe at his age either (€75k P/W basic salary + sponsorships and image rights sales)

I guess I'm wrong so :P just saying though cuz at one stage he was almost destined to join United and now he's never mentioned or hardly ever mentioned outside the internet...

• Registered Users Posts: 487 ✭✭Thatsfootball

Read something a few days ago about alot of Arsenal players that didn't make it having played some PL games.
    Players like Gilbert (played in the Airtricity a year ago I think!), Vela, Fran Merida

Bojan Djordic (spelling!) was once said to be Becks' replacement at Utd.

Xisco is still at Newcastle too.

Also Celtic had a lot of good young players around the Uefa Cup run time. Where did they go?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,258 ✭✭✭MUSEIST

Read something a few days ago about alot of Arsenal players that didn't make it having played some PL games.
    Players like Gilbert (played in the Airtricity a year ago I think!), Vela, Fran Merida

Bojan Djordic (spelling!) was once said to be Becks' replacement at Utd.

Xisco is still at Newcastle too.

Also Celtic had a lot of good young players around the Uefa Cup run time. Where did they go?

That's football for ya

• Registered Users Posts: 2,185 ✭✭✭Tchaikovsky

RikkFlair wrote: »

Eh? He had a successful career at Lazio and played with and scored for Chile in the WC 2010 qualifiers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭carlop

Vela is playing for Real Sociedad and doing pretty well. He's maybe not at the level people expected but he's certainly by no means off the radar.

Merida was at Atletico Madrid last year but only made the occasional appearance off the bench and was very disappointing whenever he did.

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Players like Gilbert (played in the Airtricity a year ago I think!)

Yeah he was with Shamrock Rovers last season, and he was absolutely rubbish!

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Registered Users Posts: 2,428 ✭✭✭MrKingsley

Very good thread. Although i think its unfair to be putting people in with serious injuries ie. Keith O'Neill, Michael Johnson and Terry Dixon. Especially the two latter as they were very young when the injuries began. Must be tough to know that you have the talent but not be able to use it.

Just shows how much attitude means to making it as a footballer. Talent means shag all if your not going to try your hardest to be the best you can.

Also for whoever mentioned Mendieta and Salas. Yeah their careers didnt finish on massive highs but they have a huge amount of appearnaces, goals and major trophies at club and international level. I would mind having 10% of their roll of honour

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

Javi Moreno - burst onto the scene the season he shot Alaves to the UEFA Cup Final against Liverpool. Went on to Milan, Atletico and even turned up at Bolton on loan. Never reached anywhere near the level he di that final season at Alaves.

People used to talk about Bojan in the same sentence as Messi. To me at least, he always seemed brainless. Eamonn Dunphy looks to have been proved right.

MrKingsley wrote: »
    Also for whoever mentioned Mendieta and Salas.
    Mendieta turned to sh!te far too quickly in his career. Always will remember that game against United where he tore them apart single-handedly, despite the fact he was useless most of the season.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,428 ✭✭✭MrKingsley

Mendieta turned to sh!te far too quickly in his career.

Well the move to lazio did not work out and he was never worth that kind of money. Similar to torres in that respect. And he was frozen out by middlesborough after that. But he was playing at the very top level for over 10 years so i dont think he can belong in a thread title that focuses on the fox in the box

• Registered Users Posts: 937 ✭✭✭swimming in a sea

Seaneh wrote: »
    And he's about 4 ston over weight, doesnt train and really just collects a wage cheque at this stage.

I remember saying at the time to a friend that Leeds had overpaid for him, but his reply was "well what else could you get for 7million these days" it was a crazy time for transfer fees.

• Advertisement
Advertisement