Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Where did my career go (the Francis Jeffers Story)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,219 ✭✭✭✭Pro. F

EdenHazard wrote: »
    I was gonna disagree with this, but then I looked at his stats. he did have an above average career. I presumed playing for Ajaccio was a sign of his plight but he's 33 now so suppose where else would he be?

I've noticed tho people seem to object to any player who enjoyed good careers in their early career, like Alan Smith, but he is definitely an example of where someones career went. The last time he performed really was at Man Utd, and despite early promise (as a striker) from what I can see hasn't scored over 50 goals in his career. That's absolutely terrible like.
    It be like if Torres moved from Chelsea, and then struggled again at his next club, it would also be an example of where someones career went, even more so than some 15 year old who everyone thought was gonna be amazing and ended up in Tesco.

He changed from being a striker to being a deep central midfielder when at Man United. He carried on with that at Newcastle too.

There was also the small issue of him breaking his leg in a few places. That tends to slow footballers' careers down a bit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,296 ✭✭✭EdenHazard

Yeaaaah? Exactly, his career went because of his broken legs hence where did his career go? Oh he broke his 2 legs hence he declined and now plys his tried with MK Dons when he could conceivably be a top flight player. Another one is Lee Hendrie

• Registered Users Posts: 354 ✭✭srfc19

I've noticed tho people seem to object to any player who enjoyed good careers in their early career, like Alan Smith, but he is definitely an example of where someones career went. The last time he performed really was at Man Utd, and despite early promise (as a striker) from what I can see hasn't scored over 50 goals in his career. That's absolutely terrible like.
    It be like if Torres moved from Chelsea, and then struggled again at his next club, it would also be an example of where someones career went, even more so than some 15 year old who everyone thought was gonna be amazing and ended up in Tesco.

I honestly don't know what, if anything goes through your head.

This is the same Fernando Torres who has 7 goals in his last 6 games, who scored in a European Championship final, who top scored in the same championship despite not being first choice, who has overcome the bad spell he had at Chelsea when he was being forced into a system that didn't suit him.

You are comparing his career to Alan Smith, who converted into a defensive midfield player and then broke his leg in two places, but still managed to continue playing for Utd and Newcastle....Just wow!!

I'm a big El Nino fan??????

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

Dunno why Torres is here Smith should be tho.
    Fernando Torres without Rafael Benitez is like Gary Barlow without the rest of Take That.

That was Torres' 59th goal in 84 Premier League matches under Benitez. He has scored 20 goals for five other managers in 81 Premier League matches.

Yeaaaah? Exactly, his career went because of his broken legs hence where did his career go? Oh he broke his 2 legs hence he declined and now plys his tried with MK Dons when he could conceivably be a top flight player. Another one is Lee Hendrie

People aren't using this thread to talk about players who's declines are easily explainable. Everybody gets that except you.

How are their situations remotely similar?? Or how would they be if Torres struggled "again"??

Pro. F wrote: »
    People aren't using this thread to talk about players who's declines are easily explainable. Everybody gets that except you.

Francis Jeffers had a confidence knock and wasn't able to live up to his price tag. There, its explained :rolleyes::rolleyes:

Francis Jeffers had a confidence knock and wasn't able to live up to his price tag. There, its explained :rolleyes::rolleyes:

He did a lot worse than just not living up to his price tag.

:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

He couldn't even live up to a price tag of zero with the Newcastle Jets!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,379 ✭✭✭hefferboi

Xisco for Newcastle? On loan at Deportivo now I think. What was his story?

Anthony Vanden Borre- Remember playing CM a few years ago and himself and Kompany were the best defenders in the game. They were only 17/18 and both went on to be class. In real life both have had very contrasting careers. Vanden Borre has played for 5 different clubs since leaving Anderlecht, including a few games for Pompey, and is now playing in the Ukranian premier league.

Kompany is the captain of the EPL champions.

hefferboi wrote: »
    Xisco for Newcastle? On loan at Deportivo now I think. What was his story?

Anthony Vanden Borre- Remember playing CM a few years ago and himself and Kompany were the best defenders in the game. They were only 17/18 and both went on to be class. In real life both have had very contrasting careers. Vanden Borre has played for 5 different clubs since leaving Anderlecht, including a few games for Pompey, and is now playing in the Ukranian premier league.

Kompany is the captain of the EPL champions.

OMG NOFHFHDH He plays in ukraine premier jeezus :rolleyes:

no i completely agree with you :) dunno what happened him?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,940 ✭✭✭kksaints

Probably not the right category for this but Adriano went downhill fairly badly. Almost certain he suffered from depression which is very unfortunate. Was brilliant with Parma and for a short while with Inter. Playing in Brazil now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,379 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

kksaints wrote: »
    Probably not the right category for this but Adriano went downhill fairly badly. Almost certain he suffered from depression which is very unfortunate. Was brilliant with Parma and for a short while with Inter. Playing in Brazil now.

Dunno about depression, but he suffered from alcoholism.

He left Flamengo after the season and has no team now, wants to go back to Italy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,940 ✭✭✭kksaints

Oatesy23 wrote: »

He left Flamengo after the season and has no team now, wants to go back to Italy.

Cant see any club wanting to take him on after how he left Inter and Roma.

OMG NOFHFHDH He plays in ukraine premier jeezus :rolleyes:

no i completely agree with you :) dunno what happened him?
    Compared to Kompany.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,964 ✭✭✭2nd Row Donkey

Every.time I read this thread title I think of Gerry Francis rather than francis Jeffers - were did his career go after managing THFC

He does be on Sky Sports news a good bit. And a quick look on wiki says he is first team coach at Stoke.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

Oatesy23 wrote: »

He's been diagnosed with clinical depression.

• Advertisement

Seaneh wrote: »
    He's been diagnosed with clinical depression.

So not a dipso who pissed away a future?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

dreamers75 wrote: »

Not entirely but he has been a dick regardless. In fairness, hes madr a ton in the last few years in brazil. Hes not broke.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

Didn't he become very depressed after his father passed away and hit the bottle??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Cheeky bump for Michael Owen ;)

http://www.sport360.com/article/madrid-manchester-perth-michael-owen-talks-glory
    He was linked with a move to Dubai last summer, but former Manchester United and Liverpool striker Michael Owen's next move could take him Down Under.

According to reports, Perth Glory are in talks with the ex-England striker's management about bringing the 33-year-old to Australia's A-League.

Glory owner Tony Sage has ambitious plans for the club and has been linked with both Harry Kewell and David Beckham in recent months as he chases a marquee signing.

A Glory spokesman confirmed the club was interested in securing Owen's services, but said negotiations were in their infancy.

"Michael Owen's agent has enquired about Michael playing in the A-League," the spokesman told the West Australian newspaper. "Perth Glory are interested but are yet to find out Michael's terms and conditions. Until these are known, Perth Glory will not enter any further negotiations

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,478 ✭✭✭✭gnfnrhead

mike65 wrote: »

I think you have the wrong thread. Owen doesnt belong anywhere close to this one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

:rolleyes:

Leave our sense of humour in bed did we?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

If Miller and Heskey can make it down under then Owen will have great time in OZ.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,064 ✭✭✭✭eh i dunno

Could be a good weekend for this thread with the FA Cup on.

Wayne Bridge now playing for Brighton at only 32. Nice missus though

There is a player i hadnt heard of since he was a youth in the West ham side, Freddie Sears. He was a great finisher but was very light. Bit of muscle on him and he could have been currently playing at a higher level then Colchester in league 1. He definately has the skill

Judging by wikipedia, there is nothing really to suggest sears was a great finisher(for a pro, maybe at youth level) 2 goals in 48 for West Ham

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,154 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

There is a player i hadnt heard of since he was a youth in the West ham side, Freddie Sears. He was a great finisher but was very light. Bit of muscle on him and he could have been currently playing at a higher level then Colchester in league 1. He definately has the skill

Yeah, just remembering him now actually. Saw him put in a few very good performances the year West Ham went down. Reckoned he had the makings of a decent winger.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Craig Gordon,once Britains most expensive goalkeeper is now 2nd choice at Dumbarton.

Edgar Davids(doesnt belong here) was sent off for Barnet recently for fouling James Beattie (accrington) (does belong here)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭Maire2009

Edgar Davids(doesnt belong here) was sent off for Barnet recently for fouling James Beattie (accrington) (does belong here)

Isn't Beattie player/manager there? He was playing Championship football up until recently wasn't he and was never exactly said to be the next Weah?!

Wonder where Inamoto has gone?! :o

For those currently raving about Neymar i ask you what ever happened to this guy Kerlon? Once linked with Man United, he signed for Chievo ( believed to have been loaned by Inter for a later date) he is now plying his trade in the Japanese 3rd tier.

• Registered Users Posts: 400 ✭✭Thecon21

What about Andy Booth from Wednesday? Would he fall into this category?

Remembering him playing in the EPL all those years back..

EDIT: Great thread to read this by the way, stuck in work here.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭Maire2009

For those currently raving about Neymar i ask you what ever happened to this guy Kerlon? Once linked with Man United, he signed for Chievo ( believed to have been loaned by Inter for a later date) he is now plying his trade in the Japanese 3rd tier.

I think he was another one ravaged by injury though, and not too sure he was known for anything else than doing the seal trick and someone elbowing him in the face while doing it.

Remember watching a documentary on sky one following 3 young promising England players hoping to get into the squad for one of the World Cups. Maybe 2002. The 3 were John Terry, Ashley Cole and James Beattie. Poor Jamesy.

David Bentley signed for Blackburn on loan.

Forgot he was still around :(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,380 ✭✭✭geeky

Rohan Ricketts. Started pretty promisingly in Spurs. Loan spells in the Football League followed, and then he went on to define the word 'journeyman'. Canada, Hungary, Moldova, Germany, Republic of Ireland, India and Ecuador have all played host to this man.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rohan_Ricketts

He also keeps up a blog and is all over Twitter. Even though he did alright for Shamrock Rovers, he's a bit of a running joke on the forum there.

Edit: Has an article in the mail today in fact! http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2279611/The-Footballers-Football-Column--Rohan-Ricketts-Globetrotter-moved-England-Ecuador-India.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,168 ✭✭✭shanec1928

geeky wrote: »
    Rohan Ricketts. Started pretty promisingly in Spurs. Loan spells in the Football League followed, and then he went on to define the word 'journeyman'. Canada, Hungary, Moldova, Germany, Republic of Ireland, India and Ecuador have all played host to this man.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rohan_Ricketts

He also keeps up a blog and is all over Twitter. Even though he did alright for Shamrock Rovers, he's a bit of a running joke on the forum there.

Edit: Has an article in the mail today in fact! http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2279611/The-Footballers-Football-Column--Rohan-Ricketts-Globetrotter-moved-England-Ecuador-India.html
    deluded springs to mind when i hear his name.

• Advertisement

Superb talent but i doubt he'd start 'shovelling the coal' so to speak when teams need to dig in. A luxury player more or less. To be fair though while a player of his talent should be playing at Premier league level at least, he is hardly slumming it at Blackburn either

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,800 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

Didn't even realise he had a spell in Russia :eek:

hefferboi wrote: »
    Remember watching a documentary on sky one following 3 young promising England players hoping to get into the squad for one of the World Cups. Maybe 2002. The 3 were John Terry, Ashley Cole and James Beattie. Poor Jamesy.

Are ye on about the same James Beattie who spent 16 years playing in the top two divisions in England, has a handful of England caps (Would have 100 odd caps if he was Irish), has had almost £20 million squids spent on him, (including being one clubs record signing.)

Surely you guys are talking about a different James Beattie? Either that or you still don't understand the concept behind this thread.

srfc19 wrote: »

Surely you guys are talking about a different James Beattie? Either that or you still don't understand the concept behind this thread.

I think we are on about that one

Years Team Apps† (Gls)†
    1996–1998 Blackburn Rovers 4 (0)
    1998–2005 Southampton 204 (68)
    2005–2007 Everton 76 (13)
    2007–2009 Sheffield United 62 (34)
    2009–2010 Stoke City 38 (9)
    2010–2011 Rangers 7 (0)
    2011 → Blackpool (loan) 9 (0)
    2011–2012 Sheffield United 18 (0)
    2012– Accrington Stanley 7 (4)

and the 20 million alone is reason enough to be here.

I think we are on about that one

Years Team Apps† (Gls)†
    1996–1998 Blackburn Rovers 4 (0)
    1998–2005 Southampton 204 (68)
    2005–2007 Everton 76 (13)
    2007–2009 Sheffield United 62 (34)
    2009–2010 Stoke City 38 (9)
    2010–2011 Rangers 7 (0)
    2011 → Blackpool (loan) 9 (0)
    2011–2012 Sheffield United 18 (0)
    2012– Accrington Stanley 7 (4)

and the 20 million alone is reason enough to be here.

He left Stoke in 2010, was about 30-31. Most people would agree that the peak period for a striker is over at that stage yes?

So between 98-2010 he had a very very solid, if unspectacular career. I don't think his career was ever destined to be anything more.

Beattie was also the type of striker who was very much involved in build up/hold up play and being a target man so to judge him only on goalscoring stats is a bit shortsighted really.

Surely the 20 million shows that loads of different manager rated him quite highly and wanted them in their team?

Bear in mind we are comparing him with Franny Jeffers, who went from having a very promising career to unsuccessfully playing for a string of much less illustrious clubs then Beattie.

I dont think Jeffers ever commanded any sort of fee after leaving Arsenal, just a load of freebies?

How is Beattie even slighly comparable to a Jeffers or a Michael Johnson?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,516 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

Pele - burst on scene as teenager in '58 World Cup but blanked the next two World Cups before 20 day upward career blip in Mexico '70. Never made the move to a really big (i.e. European) club before ending up in MLS in early 30s and then retiring prematurely.
    :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,013 ✭✭✭aramush

Are ye on about the same James Beattie who spent 16 years playing in the top two divisions in England, has a handful of England caps (Would have 100 odd caps if he was Irish), has had almost £20 million squids spent on him, (including being one clubs record signing.)

20million pound squid?

That is a lot of squid.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 500 ✭✭✭Jarrod

Are you seriously comparing Kerlon to Neymar?

So between 98-2010 he had a very very solid, if unspectacular career. I don't think his career was ever destined to be anything more.

How is Beattie even slighly comparable to a Jeffers or a Michael Johnson?

Meant to the future of England along with Terry and Lampard.

Accrington Stanley i mean at 34 hes playing for them, Dean bleedin Windass played in the Premier League at 38.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 500 ✭✭✭Jarrod

I was at Ibrox when James Beattie made his Rangers debut (I think he was 32). I thought he was a decent signing and that he'd manage 10-15 SPL goals that season. From his brief cameo that day you could tell he was a long way past his sell by.

Advertisement