Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is Construction the only jobs Canada is good for......

• 11-10-2012 2:04am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 277 ✭✭

Hi, Complete Rookie to Canada but trying to learn fast as Iplan to leave early next year.

I've noticed that a lot of talk on this page revolves aroundconstruction work. I have a BA in International Relations and hope to soon havea post grad in Financial Management and was hoping to head to Canada and usethem. My friend who I’m traveling with also has a BA in International Relationsbut a post grad in Journalism.

Does anybody know if many jobs are available in these areasin Canada, or where would be best to go to get them?

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10 SMM11

Hi,

I've been in Canada about 7 weeks now and I'm finding it incredibly difficult to get professional kind of work. I'm a civil engineer with additional background in IT and 5 years combined experience and all I can say is the process of actually landing a job is ridiculously slow. I mean really slow - it would actually be faster to get a job in Ireland (for me). Having said that, the salaries are much better than home so it might just be worth it in the end.

I think the process is even harder for graduates, so be prepared to do casual work while you get your self set up. Do you have any experience? Make sure your linkedin and monster profiles are up to date and do your best to attend networking events like Internations. Networking goes a very long way here, so you really need to get out there and meet people. Not sure if this is helpful!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,436 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

loads of IT work in toronto and surrounding areas
    its all about who you know...i got my job through a friend of a friend of someone who contacted me on linkedin because we went to the same uni. it was never advertised, and lots more jobs never are either.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,172 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

SMM11 wrote: »
    Hi,

I've been in Canada about 7 weeks now and I'm finding it incredibly difficult to get professional kind of work. I'm a civil engineer with additional background in IT and 5 years combined experience and all I can say is the process of actually landing a job is ridiculously slow. I mean really slow - it would actually be faster to get a job in Ireland (for me). Having said that, the salaries are much better than home so it might just be worth it in the end.

I think the process is even harder for graduates, so be prepared to do casual work while you get your self set up. Do you have any experience? Make sure your linkedin and monster profiles are up to date and do your best to attend networking events like Internations. Networking goes a very long way here, so you really need to get out there and meet people. Not sure if this is helpful!

Hi SMM11 just wondering where abouts in Canada you are? I've the one year IEC visa, a similar experience level to yourself though in Mech Eng, and will be heading over there soonish.

Do you have on your job applications that you can stay for 2 years and 3 years?

Hi,

Yeah I have the same - on all my applications I just state work permit and when asked I say it's extendable to 2 years (maybe three years now), then open to residency. I'm in Calgary at the moment. The thing that I have found is that it takes on average about a month to get a reply from an application, if you get any at all.

I have pretty good experience in both engineering and IT, so I had assumed that I wouldn't find it that difficult - especially since Alberta is booming - but it's slower than I thought. On the other hand, you could be really lucky - it just depends on the job spec and your experience.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,172 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

Wow a month! That doesn't sound too good.

Are you applying to advertised jobs or sending in speculative applications?

• Advertisement

Well I've sent applications for posted jobs, but some speculative ones too.

I've actually found it easiest to get interviews through recruitment agents - it seems they pick up on applications faster, so you'll be in for a prelim interview with them then if all goes well, you'll interview with the company. I've been applying properly since mid-September and all my interviews have been scheduled in the last two weeks (and next week). One thing that is encouraging is there is plenty of casual work available, almost every business window has a help wanted sign. It just appears that more professional work takes a little longer to get than I expected.

Where are you thinking of going in Canada? If you're coming to Alberta, bring some snow boots!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,578 ✭✭✭ciaran67

SMM11... hang in there mate it will come. They are very slow here and it is ridiculously frustrating waiting for them to call back. I went for a job at a newspaper and was told it was between me and another girl for the job. After noticing the fella kept eyeing up women when they walked by us, in the coffee house, i thought, i aint gonna get this. I didnt even get a friggin call from him to say i didnt get it. Its the way here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 731 ✭✭✭Tonto86

ciaran67 wrote: »
    SMM11... hang in there mate it will come. They are very slow here and it is ridiculously frustrating waiting for them to call back. I went for a job at a newspaper and was told it was between me and another girl for the job. After noticing the fella kept eyeing up women when they walked by us, in the coffee house, i thought, i aint gonna get this. I didnt even get a friggin call from him to say i didnt get it. Its the way here.

Thats true buddy. They take feckin ages to act on anything. Especially professional type jobs.

There is loads of constuction work here for very good money, even a entry level labourer you'll pull €20 a hour plus all your overtime. There's also loads of shop, cafe, bar, supermarket work. What I'd say to anyone looking for a professional job is if your not very rich man landing, take a easy to get job so your not eating into the funds.

And ask said above, warm stuff to wear... its been freezin in Calgary the last week and this is only October!

• Site Banned Posts: 8 rico27

Try Telus, Rogers, Bell or any telecommunication company if you're interested on getting a white collar job. I know they are always hiring. Telus has offices at Alberta and in BC and I think they even have an office in Toronto.

Good luck!

Advertisement