Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Auto-save feature

Options
  • 11-10-2012 3:24am
    Registered Users Posts: 6,920 ✭✭✭

I'm just after spending about 20 minutes typing a post in Politics, and in pressing the back arrow key to somehow managed to move back a page rather than a space, and lost the whole bloody thing. Very annoying. :mad:
    It's happened several times before. On other sites similar to boards, they have an auto-save feature which would do away with such irritants. Would it be possible for boards to incorporate such a feature?
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 925 ✭✭✭say_who_now?

Einhard wrote: »
    I'm just after spending about 20 minutes typing a post in Politics, and in pressing the back arrow key to somehow managed to move back a page rather than a space, and lost the whole bloody thing.

Not that it's much use to you now, but when the text box is out of focus, for example when the cursor might move somewhere else on the page, pressing the backspace key is the keyboard shortcut for the "back" arrow in most browsers. Something that I find even more annoying is when I used press the "post reply" and the browser would time out, sending my post into oblivion, so now I hit Ctrl A, Ctrl C before I hit "post reply" in case the site fails to respond in a timely fashion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 503 ✭✭✭Boards.ie: Neil

This is something that's certainly possible and would be an excellent feature on both touch and desktop sites.

I've added it to our backlog, but I'm afraid I can't give a date as to when we could start to look at it.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,715 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Einhard wrote: »
    I'm just after spending about 20 minutes typing a post in Politics, and in pressing the back arrow key to somehow managed to move back a page rather than a space, and lost the whole bloody thing. Very annoying. :mad:
    It's happened several times before. On other sites similar to boards, they have an auto-save feature which would do away with such irritants. Would it be possible for boards to incorporate such a feature?

I think clicking on Forward on your browser would have brought you back to the reply page, where your post would have still been there (kind of an autosave made by your browser rather than a Boards autosave)

• Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Penn wrote: »
    I think clicking on Forward on your browser would have brought you back to the reply page, where your post would have still been there (kind of an autosave made by your browser rather than a Boards autosave)

Usually works but the odd time it doesn't seem to. Firefox has an add on that does it, Chrome has one but it didn't seem to work for me.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

Advertisement