Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Another Taxation question....

Options
  • 11-10-2012 5:51am
    Registered Users Posts: 15,172 ✭✭✭✭

Currently in NY on the J1 Graduate Visa Program.

I head home towards the end of November and trying to get a grasp and what I am going to be entitled to claim back, and how to go about it from home.

Currently paying:

Federal Income
    Social Security
    Medicare
    New York State Income
    New York voluntary disability

I've paid a significant amount since March so hoping to get a lot of it back!

Any help/clarification would be appreciated!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,900 ✭✭✭InTheTrees

kmart6 wrote: »

I suppose I'm not too clear on the j1 visa program... but why would they give the taxes back?

:confused:

Ah. I understand now. You can claim back what you paid towards Social Security and Medicare (as those are for retirement). Not income tax though.

SS is about 3% and medicare about 2.5%? Close to that anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,510 ✭✭✭Hazys

Currently in NY on the J1 Graduate Visa Program.

I head home towards the end of November and trying to get a grasp and what I am going to be entitled to claim back, and how to go about it from home.

Currently paying:

Federal Income
    Social Security
    Medicare
    New York State Income
    New York voluntary disability

Any help/clarification would be appreciated!

No idea what you get back but you'll need to do your taxes as the start of next year regardless if you get anything back.

Make sure you get your W-2 before you leave and then use that W-2 to fill out your taxes at the start of next year. You can use taxback.com to fill out your taxes, i believe they can send checks to Ireland if you get anything back.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,172 ✭✭✭✭kmart6

InTheTrees wrote: »
    Ah. I understand now. You can claim back what you paid towards Social Security and Medicare (as those are for retirement). Not income tax though.

SS is about 3% and medicare about 2.5%? Close to that anyway.

Well that doesn't seem right, just like any country if you don't earn over a certain amount and cross the tax threshold you can claim what you've paid back!
    Hazys wrote: »
    No idea what you get back but you'll need to do your taxes as the start of next year regardless if you get anything back.

Make sure you get your W-2 before you leave and then use that W-2 to fill out your taxes at the start of next year. You can use taxback.com to fill out your taxes, i believe they can send checks to Ireland if you get anything back.

Hmm just did a quick calculation on taxback and would be getting around 2/3rds back.....presume they take a cut of that so wold prefer to do it myself if that's the case!

Can I get my W-2 before i leave or do I have to wait until January?!

Well that doesn't seem right, just like any country if you don't earn over a certain amount and cross the tax threshold you can claim what you've paid back!

Good point. I think you probably can get a lot of it back.

Although you'll probably have to file separately for NY State and then Federal.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,510 ✭✭✭Hazys

Hmm just did a quick calculation on taxback and would be getting around 2/3rds back.....presume they take a cut of that so wold prefer to do it myself if that's the case!

Can I get my W-2 before i leave or do I have to wait until January?!

Taxback.com costs around $50-$80 to use, the earlier in the year you do it, the cheaper it is. Its extremely handy, i've never tried doing it myself, its probably extremely complicated, you have to file to seperate applications, one for federal, one for state.

I think if you leave a company you get your W-2 when you leave like a P45, but i'm not 100% sure. They take time to prepare so talk to your HR people and see what they say.

• Registered Users Posts: 472 ✭✭crapmanjoe

Use turbos tax -- it's about 30 bucks and will file both state and federal and takes about 20 mins to use

Cash can be deposited straight into a bank account - not sure can you deposit into a non us account

• Registered Users Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭lil_lisa

The cheap turbo tax doesn't work for NR forms (Non resident)

Advertisement