Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Flat footwear for dresses and thick calves!

• 11-10-2012 8:49am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 49

In terms of a casual dress, what options are available when your leg isn't the slimmest part of you?

I have tried on boots in the shop, but they tend to get too tight around my calves and also look bad. When some people wear them, they sit loosely around the leg and are slimming. Knee-length boots then can look a bit dodgy, so I'm not sure how to get the right ones. I wondered if there was a shorter type of shoe that would suit? Ankle boots also obviously look a little unflattering :D I have flat summery shoes at home but I wasn't sure what to wear for winter. I also have canvas shoes but was looking for something a little grown up.

Anyway, if you guys have any solutions that work for ye, particularly in a winter footwear style, I'd love to hear about them and to see any links to pictures from shoe websites!

Thanks! ;)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 144 ✭✭AlbionCat

If you are looking for knee high boots to fit the slightly "chunky" calves you could try Marks & Spencers who do knee highs made of a stretchy material and will accommodate the calf. I have a pair after waiting years to find a pair of knee high and I am very pleased. (I could not get the zip on boots to do up and unless I found a pair of lace ups boots I could not wear knee highs at all)

Anyway some links - they are mostly heeled boots -but some are not too high.

Boot 1 wedge knee high

Boot 2 hmmm snakeskin

Boot 3 Flat & wide fit, but not especially cheap in comparison to the others

Happy boot hunting

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,065 ✭✭✭Miaireland

I have heard good things about Evans boots. www.evans.co.uk

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

I have gotten two pair of boots from duo boots.
    The boots are made in different sizes and you send your foot and calf width and you'll get a pair that fit perfectly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 49 JaneCompti

Thanks for all the suggestions.

I'll try M&S in town first, since I'll be passing by anyway. I don't know why it didn't occur to me yet to go in there :)

I'll let ye know if I find "The Pair" of boots. I tried some on in Debenhams to see if the knee high suited and they are definitely ten times better than the shorter boots. Some of them looked a little trashy because of the style but other plainer ones looked lovely.

I love the riding boots with jeans. What would ye wear with a dress to a casual party, in terms of boots?

I'm going to M&S today to look at their boots - wish me luck! :D

I think I'll purchase a pair of cotton tights aswell, as they might be more slimming (also very warm, which can be an issue indoors!).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 403 ✭✭suomi

I think knee high boots would look great. Those riding boots or boots that are slightly "baggier", rather than tight around the ankle would look good. I have a pair like this and they're very flattering:

Over-The-Knee-Flat-Boots-1.jpg

Good luck with the search! :p

They are lovely, where did you get them? It just start lashing rain outside and has gone as dark as night time! I think I will wait 15 minutes before venturing out :) I'd love those elf-like ankle boots that used to be around - the Sienna Miller type of ones. They can be flattering to the leg too.

I got 'em! I got ones similar to suomi's, but without the fold down part at the top. Because they are suede, they seem to be slimming. I think the shine of leather makes me look stumpy, as it cuts the leg in two, so this is much better :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,484 ✭✭✭username123

JaneCompti wrote: »
    I got 'em! I got ones similar to suomi's, but without the fold down part at the top. Because they are suede, they seem to be slimming. I think the shine of leather makes me look stumpy, as it cuts the leg in two, so this is much better :)

Where and how much, any link?

TK Maxx for about 20 quid.

Now, I'm going to see if I can find a "shorter" boot or shoe for Winter wear with a dress (probably with cotton tights). I tried some ankle boots (especially nice biker type ones) but they made me look stumpy or very informal. They seemed to look to clunky with a dress. It would be handy to get something I could wear in the wind and rain...I guess that's why people wear high boots...but also it would be handy to have something that I could wear to semi-formal things and university things, including class.

• Advertisement
Advertisement