Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

What lenghts would you / have you gone for the perfect photo?

• 11-10-2012 9:38am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 22,565 ✭✭✭✭

Just seen this on Reddit :eek:

KETrf.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,718 ✭✭✭.Longshanks.

Read a (different) article in a magazine on this guy. Equally stunning and mental
    1x1.fi_Rooftopping_in_Toronto_007-625x416.jpg

http://1x1.fi/4904

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,702 ✭✭✭DaireQuinlan

Bluefoam wrote: »
    Via Hipster

:confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,747 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

:confused:

Posted in wrong thread :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,135 ✭✭✭TheVoodoo

I sat in a hide in Yosemite for three weeks in several feet of snow in the depts of winter waiting for a picture I never got to take.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,899 ✭✭✭Paddy@CIRL

I'd be usually very, very sensible when it comes to shooting motorsport. After all if something goes wrong, you either need protection or an escape route otherwise you're going home in an ambulance or hearse. At the end of a lap on the Nürburgring 24HR course (which includes both the GP circuit and the Nordschleife) is a straight called Döttinger Höhe where the cars reach a speed of around 185/190MPH depending on gearing. In 2011, I thought it would be a good idea to shoot from an area at the very end of the straight where the cars are braking heavily when this happened ...

5953535115_0be8216311_z.jpg

... needless to say, I didn't hang around much longer. It's a red zone (no photographers or videographers) now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,279 ✭✭✭ronanc15

Paddy@CIRL wrote: »
    I'd be usually very, very sensible when it comes to shooting motorsport. After all if something goes wrong, you either need protection or an escape route otherwise you're going home in an ambulance or hearse. At the end of a lap on the Nürburgring 24HR course (which includes both the GP circuit and the Nordschleife) is a straight called Döttinger Höhe where the cars reach a speed of around 185/190MPH depending on gearing. In 2011, I thought it would be a good idea to shoot from an area at the very end of the straight where the cars are braking heavily when this happened ...

5953535115_0be8216311_z.jpg

... needless to say, I didn't hang around much longer. It's a red zone (no photographers or videographers) now.

New pants please :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,852 ✭✭✭Hugh_C

TheVoodoo wrote: »
    I sat in a hide in Yosemite for three weeks in several feet of snow in the depts of winter waiting for a picture I never got to take.

brilliant. what was it going to be?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,702 ✭✭✭DaireQuinlan

I hang around outside playgrounds with a camera :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 708 ✭✭✭dave66

As soon as I get "the perfect photo" I'll let you know what lengths I went to :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,135 ✭✭✭TheVoodoo

Hugh_C wrote: »
    brilliant. what was it going to be?

Mountain Lion with Kitten(s) was suposidly hanging around in a particular area. Had a few spare weeks and access to a hide and equipment so wasn't going to turn the opportunity down.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 410 ✭✭mervifwdc

Went back to the same spot in the Serengetti to get a Leopard with it's cubs for days. Sat for probably 10 hours in one spot real quiet over the few days. Well worth it, but had to ignore all the rest of the park to do it!

And since, have decided I want a few great South American Gaucho shots out moving cattle in the setting sun. Have quit job, and am in Argentina hiding in a bush for the last 2 months. Will let you know how I am getting on. :-)

Merv.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 YellowOnions

Me and a friend thought we would try to make a camera obscura out of a tent like this guy...
    http://www.abelardomorell.net/photography/tentcamera_01/tentcamera_01.html

We drove 80 miles with cameras, tripods and picnic and spent 2 hours putting the tent up and covering it with loads of black bags and duct tape. We messed around for ages trying to get it right.

A mountain ranger fella came by and grilled us, wondering what on earth we were doing. He was looking at the black plastic dome by the river and warned us that no camping was allowed. My friend said to him blankly that we weren't camping and that it was a camera. Ranger wasn't impressed.

Eventually when the moment came to take the photos, with one of us in the tent with a camera, (sweating like a pig and struggling to breath in our plastic covered tent) directing the other person outside for a camera obscura portrait, we quickly realised..... a €14 tent outta pennys and a roll of cheap black bags just aren't light proof!

A5B726C9BB0F43D5969C4B94F8566F51-0000327263-0003061162-00640L-6E818E76B73C40C486B149B7D56D331F.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,510 ✭✭✭sprinkles

Where were you doing this?

Hey Sprinkles, It was in Laragh in Wicklow.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,565 ✭✭✭✭Tallon

What exactly were you trying to achieve? I don't understand :(

Hi Tallon, we were trying to make a camera obscura. So basically you are turning the inside of the tent into a camera. If you make a room completely dark, cover the windows with black out fabric for example. Then make a small hole in the window covering. The view from outside will then appear in the room (upside down) and you can take a photo of it. Its pretty spectacular when its done properly.

here is another link that shows some good examples....
    http://ngm.nationalgeographic.com/2011/05/camera-obscura/oneill-text

Hope that helps.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,565 ✭✭✭✭Tallon

Holy crap, that's amazing :eek: :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,407 ✭✭✭Promac

You wouldn't have thought to try it out in the back garden first? :)

Tallon wrote: »
    Holy crap, that's amazing :eek: :)

Yeah its really brilliant alright. I did one before and its just magical when it works :) Tempted to do another one soon actually.....

Promac wrote: »
    You wouldn't have thought to try it out in the back garden first? smile.png

Ha ha fair point. The only thing to remember is that you need a good view. If you do one in the back garden, then your photo will basically be the back of a load of three bed semi's. So we thought wicklow mountains and a tent would give a prettier picture (in theory!)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,263 ✭✭✭✭Borderfox

Paid a helicopter pilot to ring me when his client was coming back to get a picture of them with my clients logo in the background.

I have been very close to horses at speed to get the shot I wanted, nothing went wrong bar breaking gear.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,026 ✭✭✭kelly1

@Tallon, can you PM me please, nothing to do with this thread. I tried PMing you but you've maxed out the messages quota! :)

Advertisement