Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pick me graphics card and Cpu upgrade

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,647 ✭✭✭thenightrider

Why not just build a whole pc it would be a lot better then that.

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭Merger

Want to work with something that is working then something that may work.

I'm slowly easing my way in. One step at a time in my book. And I'm being given it as a gift. (which is already bought)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,698 ✭✭✭Gumbi

That's a good attitude to have. But the reason a build was suggested was due to the amount of money that can be saved doing so. It can be A LOT. You can spec excellent PCs, too. In the whole it's the better option IF money is an issue.

Slightly confused with your second part.

"Specs a excellent pc" Do you mean for building?

Merger wrote: »
    Slightly confused with your second part.

"Specs a excellent pc" Do you mean for building?
    Yes. The money saved can be quite substantial. Is the gift mentioned already purchased?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,182 ✭✭✭Genghiz Cohen

Gumbi wrote: »
    Yes. The money saved can be quite substantial. Is the gift mentioned already purchased?

And if so, do you have a receipt? :p

If we were going to upgrade that we may need to buy:
    CPU
    GPU
    PSU
    Motherboard

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 10,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭marco_polo

Hard to say without knowing what CPUs the motherboard supports and what sort of PSU is inside. Presuming it is already bought, you would really need to find out that information when you get it before we could comfortably start making any suggestions.

And if so, do you have a receipt? :p

If we were going to upgrade that we may need to buy:
    CPU
    GPU
    PSU
    Motherboard
    What do you mean, about the receipt?

Tacking parts onto a pre-bought PC could be messy, what with incompatible parts, bad case for cooling, etc

marco_polo wrote: »
    Hard to say without knowing what CPUs the motherboard supports and what sort of PSU is inside. Presuming it is already bought, you would really need to find out that information when you get it before we could comfortably start making any suggestions.
    Looking at that €400 system, it seems to me that adding to it would a waste.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,711 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

Seriously dont buy that mate, my sons 5 year old PC blows that system out of the water.
    You could get a far better PC for that money,some of the lads here on boards even offer to build systems for people like yourself who are unsure.
    The fact you asked about a gfx card suggests you want to game on it if so i definitely wouldnt buy.

Even for that money you would get somewhere like scan.co.uk or hardwareversand.de to build a far better system.
    Scan and overclockers in particular regularly have pre built systems of all sorts of prices, pretty sure ive got emails from them with systems for about €400.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭deceit

If you are in dublin I can build it for you for free and show you how to build the computer while i'm at it if you order parts which you really should do instead of getting that crap.
    It would just have to be hours that suit me though as work 9-5.30 5 days a week and in college nights so would have to be a weekend build

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 10,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭marco_polo

Maybe so but it seems to have been already bought as a gift so it is likely we will just have to work with what we've got.

marco_polo wrote: »

Maybe so but it seems to have been already bought as a gift so it is likely we will just have to work with what we've got.
    That's unfortunate. Tbh, I can't see any benefit in attempting to upgrade it. We definitely need some specs to work with, though.

Okay rang the "gift giver" they were going to buy it for me. So on all your recommendations I told her not too. Thanks guys.

So what now? €600 euro is max.

And I'd like to play Eve online and Guild wars 2.

Don't have windows 7 so that will have to be included.

Also I'm hesitant with going with amd as i've a amd laptop and it is crap.

Okay rang the "gift giver" they were going to buy it for me. So on all your recommendations I told her not too. Thanks guys.

So what now? €600 euro is max.

And I'd like to play Eve online and Guild wars 2.

Don't have windows 7 so that will have to be included.

Also I'm hesitant with going with amd as i've a amd laptop and it is crap.
    It might just be low spec. Before we can help you, you should fill out the questionnaire (at the top of this forum I think?) regarding the various parameters of your computer, your budget, what you need to do, whether you have some parts already etc

1. What is your budget? [€600]

2. What will be the main purpose of the computer? [Gaming/Video editing/Internet] (Guild wars 2, Eve online, Sims City, Skyrim)

3. Do you need a copy of Windows? [Yes]

4. Can you use any parts from an old computer? Non I'm afraid

5. Do you need a monitor? [No] (will use tv)

5a. If yes, what size do you need. [42" Lg]

5b. If no, what resolution is your current monitor and do you plan to upgrade in the near future? [1920x1080] [No]

6. Do you need any of these peripherals? [None]

7. Are you willing to try overclocking? [Maybe]

8. How can you pay? [Bank Transfer/Credit Card/Laser]

9. When are you purchasing? [In 10 days]

10. If you need help building it, where are you based? [Limerick] Don't know yet

Only €10 left over for a keyboard and mouse :o, but this is about as well balanced a gaming machine as you can get for around €600.

Item|Price
    Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium 64-Bit|€82,36
    BitFenix Merc Beta|€32.19
    Super-Flower Amazon 80Plus 450W|€43.33
    ASRock H77 Pro4/MVP, Sockel 1155, ATX|€69.29
    Intel Core i3-3220|€111.20
    8GB-Kit G-Skill RipJaws PC3-12800U CL9|€33.48
    Club 3D Radeon HD 7770|€112.34
    Seagate Barracuda 7200 500GB|€54,38
    ASUS DVD-RW|€19.03
    LogiLink Wireless LAN|€14,64
    Shipping|€18.99
    Total|€590.26

• Site Banned Posts: 1,678 ✭✭✭Andy!!

Even as an Intel fanboy, I would go with one of those new Amd processors, they seem pretty swish and way cheap! OP, your crap laptop is most likely down to the manufacturer lumping crap parts in there. There are new cpus that are really good and cheap; at least 20 cheaper than that i3.

Wow, Thanks.

I've got a wireless mouse and keyboard already.

But will that above build be good to go?

Wow, Thanks.

I've got a wireless mouse and keyboard already.

But will that above build be good to go?

The will build it for another €20 euros or so, I'll post a link to the item you need to put in the basket later when I find it. All you would have to do is install windows yourself which is really quick and easy, but if you were going to swap in a new GPU and CPU why not go the extra mile and DIY anyway?

• Advertisement

Yeah I don't mind.

I'll give it a go. Hold you accountable for the damage? :D (jk lol)

Its totally worth it, for a little bit of extra effort now a lifetime of cheaper computers awaits. :)

Andy!! wrote: »
    Even as an Intel fanboy, I would go with one of those new Amd processors, they seem pretty swish and way cheap! OP, your crap laptop is most likely down to the manufacturer lumping crap parts in there. There are new cpus that are really good and cheap; at least 20 cheaper than that i3.

Not much in it but the i3 probably a little bit better as a gaming CPU than even the top A10-5800K in the most of games when paired with a discrete GPU, and there is also an i5 upgrade path available at a later date.

I put in everything except the wireless adapter. Didn't think I would need it. I've my router located on my desk as I've to currently use a hardwired connection for my laptop.

Advertisement