Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Buying a house in the Earlsfort area in Lucan

• 11-10-2012 9:49am
    Registered Users Posts: 7

Hi
    Thinking of buying a house in the Earlsfort area in Lucan. Is it a nice area? It seems nice an quiet and very near shops, buses, schools etc. Any good advise?

Thanks in advance!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭Man007

Haven't had experience of the place in over 7 years but believe it has gone downhill since then.

The main thing to note is its borderline Lucan and you are paying extra for this rather than Clondalkin.

Its in close proximity to Foxdene which I'm not sure but it was definitely once Clondalkin not sure if changed now this is a council estate and pretty rough.

There is also a large number of properties rented rather than owner occupied in the estate not sure what your budget is or how much houses are going for in the estate these days so can't comment if you'd be better looking somewhere else.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,345 ✭✭✭van_beano

I agree with Man007......

If you are looking to buy in the general area I would look at the other side of the Ballyowen Road, places like Moyglass, Griffeen Glen etc. You are way to close to the border at Earlsfort!

• Registered Users Posts: 7 tomi666

Hi,Man007

My budget is around 175K. That is the main thing I'm looking at this area. Do you know anywhere else are better and I could afford it.

Many thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,345 ✭✭✭van_beano

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 857 ✭✭✭Lyn256

With a budget of €175k, you can do a LOT better than Earlsfort in Lucan. (My best friend used to live there so I'm very familiar with it)
    Take a look at Hillcrest (really like Hillcrest-v well settled and quiet) and Cannonbrook -not many houses for sale at the moment but in the last 6 months a number have sold around the €150k-€160k. You are very near shops, church and school and not a far walk to the village.
    In the village, that type of budget will get you Cherbury and Sarsfield-have no experience of either estate but in village and in St Marys parish (good schools).

Don't look at the asking price-go into the property register and see what houses are SELLING for.

http://www.myhome.ie/priceregister?RegionID=1430&LocalityIDs=1330&Keywords=

There have been houses in Castle Riada/MoyGlas/Griffeen/Elmbrook/Fforester that have sold around the €175k mark. They are nice houses in nice estates!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,793 ✭✭✭chillywilly

I may be wrong but is Earlsfort prone to flooding or has it flooded previously? Something to think about if it has as insurance will be very high and hard to find and the obvious threat of your house flooding should we have bad weather!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

I may be wrong but is Earlsfort prone to flooding or has it flooded previously? Something to think about if it has as insurance will be very high and hard to find and the obvious threat of your house flooding should we have bad weather!

It happened before the flood remediation scheme a few years back. Its not a factor any longer. That said- large tracts of Lucan village- nowhere near the Liffey or the Griffeen- are uninsurable for flooding, including where I'm currently typing this post from- despite living on a hill, 30 feet above the river........ Go figure.

Buildings and contents insurance is easily come by- flooding as a specific risk, is now normally excluded.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,793 ✭✭✭chillywilly

smccarrick wrote: »
    It happened before the flood remediation scheme a few years back. Its not a factor any longer. That said- large tracts of Lucan village- nowhere near the Liffey or the Griffeen- are uninsurable for flooding, including where I'm currently typing this post from- despite living on a hill, 30 feet above the river........ Go figure.

Buildings and contents insurance is easily come by- flooding as a specific risk, is now normally excluded.

Yeah it is ridiculous that underwriters don't take hills/distance from river in to account sometimes. I'm an insurance broker myself and it can be hard persuading underwriters to take on these risks as once one part is flooded they just label the entire area an unacceptable risk. Earlsfort just rang a bell with me as we have had to turn away some customers for this reason, although as you mentioned some underwriters will just excluded cover from the policy.

Advertisement