Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Turning monitoring off our alarm

Options
  • 11-10-2012 9:52am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,763 ✭✭✭

We want to cancel our monitoring. The alarm is an Aritech CS350 and it uses a TD8412 dialer.

I could just cancel the contract and let it keep ringing and Bell/G4S can ignore it but it would be better in the long run to disconnect or turn off the dialing.

Should I ring the installer and ask what the options are and how much, or is it something I could do myself? I don't have any of the engineer codes for the system.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭Jnealon

bazwaldo wrote: »
    We want to cancel our monitoring. The alarm is an Aritech CS350 and it uses a TD8412 dialer.

I could just cancel the contract and let it keep ringing and Bell/G4S can ignore it but it would be better in the long run to disconnect or turn off the dialing.

Should I ring the installer and ask what the options are and how much, or is it something I could do myself? I don't have any of the engineer codes for the system.

Thanks
    Probably best to contact alarm company as disconnecting phone line will in most cases cause a line fault to appear

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

Easy enough to disconnect the phone line but as Jnealon said you may be left with a line fault. G4S will not respond if the monitoring is cancelled anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭gctest50

You'd need to check your home insurance too and tell them it is not monitored anymore

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

gctest50 wrote: »
    You'd need to check your home insurance too and tell them it is not monitored anymore

Good advice & one a lot of people forget. Also while you checking your policy check if your alarm is required to meet EN50131. This requires regular servicing . Something you may no longer be getting if you have cancelled you maintenance contract with your monitoring.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,763 ✭✭✭bazwaldo

Thanks. I'll ring the insurance company first and see how much extra I need to pay. Then check how much the alarm guy charges to disconnect.

• Advertisement

Then check how much the alarm guy charges to disconnect.
    Remember any company will be able to do this for you, so, as always, shop around.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,763 ✭✭✭bazwaldo

House insurance will go up by €17. Alarm callout to disable alarm is €35. I thought it would be more on both fronts.

Seems worth as I feel monitoring is a waste of money. I can also switch my phone to UPC now which will save around €15 a month.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,719 ✭✭✭✭altor

House insurance will go up by €17. Alarm callout to disable alarm is €35. I thought it would be more on both fronts.

Seems worth as I feel monitoring is a waste of money. I can also switch my phone to UPC now which will save around €15 a month.

That is good value. You can also get a voice dialer which will work with the UPC if you want to self monitor the system you alarm system.

Advertisement