Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Paint Skirting or Walls first

• 11-10-2012 9:53am
    Registered Users Posts: 25

Hi,

i've received different advise on this depending on who I talk to so was just wondering what you guys thought!!

We had our new build spray painted with a coat of white everywhere (finished ceilings and just 1 coat on walls) a few months back.

Skirting board (poplar timber sealed and undercoated) was installed this week so next job is painting the house walls and the skirting, architrave and door frames.

Question is: Which do I paint first ? Skirt & Arch or Walls.

I know general advise is to work from the top down so walls first, but others say that the skirting can be masked off whereas the walls can't so painting skirting first might be the way to go ..

All advise greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,187 ✭✭✭✭muffler

Preparation is the key (no pun intended ;)). Tape everything that is not being painted with emulsion - skirtings, architrave, fire surrounds, window boards, light fittings, sockets etc etc and off you go. When the ceilings and walls are completed you can tackle the remainder.

The painting can be done in either cycle but I have only ever seen it done as described above.

I'll move this over to the DIY forum as it's more appropriate there.

• Registered Users Posts: 25 mel2012

cheers for the advise, yea walls & ceilings first sounds like the way to go. Just makes painting the skirting and architrave at a later date a little trickier I suppose.

Because we have dry lined the inside of the external walls with 42.5mm of insulation the skirting has been both glued and screwed to the wall along these areas. What filler product is the best to use to fill in the holes created by the screws ?

We will then sand over this filler and paint the skirting with a satinwood water based paint ...

cheers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 519 ✭✭✭harry21

I'd paint walls and ceiling first.

Any wood filler will do.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

Ceilings,then walls,then skirting.

Thats how we did the house.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

I use this for filling holes...its a bit expensive but worth it IMO
    http://www.ronseal.co.uk/products/high-performance-wood-filler

I've used it on plasterboard walls aswell...just because its says its wood filler on the tin..trust me it will do a great job and is dry for sanding in 15min

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,250 ✭✭✭Juwwi

Lex Luthor wrote: »
    I use this for filling holes...its a bit expensive but worth it IMO
    http://www.ronseal.co.uk/products/high-performance-wood-filler

I've used it on plasterboard walls aswell...just because its says its wood filler on the tin..trust me it will do a great job and is dry for sanding in 15min

Dont use this for filling holes.
    I agree with Luthor its a great filler but its hard very hard to sand down if you put too much filler on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 519 ✭✭✭harry21

paddy147 wrote: »
    Ceilings,then walls,then skirting.

Thats how we did the house.

Paddy, how did you find the frog tape? Much bleed-thru

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,771 ✭✭✭michael999999

if your walls are already first coated, then i would get a couple of coats of undercoat and all my filling and caulking of the woodwork done next.

Then finish your walls and gloss/satinwood your arcatraves frames and doors.

Advertisement