Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

5 ISDN Lines

Options
  • 11-10-2012 10:00am
    Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭

What sort of capacity or need would justify 5 ISDN lines? I'm reviewing our phone bills and can't see what they are being used for. We have two phone lines for voice calls.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,560 ✭✭✭Tow

1 ISDN line is required for two voice lines. In the past they were also used for "high speed" data, high speed of the 64kbps per line (64 * 2 * 5 in your case) variety! Or, maybe you are a radio studio and used them for 'quality' ousside links etc. There also a good chance they are not being used at all.

When is the money (including lost growth) Michael Noonan took in the Pension Levy going to be paid back?

• Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭PhotogTom

Hi, I don't think they are being used. We're a small manufacturing company. How can I find out for sure? Any way to monitor? Failing that, I'm thinking I just disconnect them somehow and wait for someone to start shouting! What do you think?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,560 ✭✭✭Tow

PhotogTom wrote: »
    I'm thinking I just disconnect them somehow and wait for someone to start shouting!

Sounds good.

When is the money (including lost growth) Michael Noonan took in the Pension Levy going to be paid back?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,340 ✭✭✭bhickey

PhotogTom wrote: »
    Hi, I don't think they are being used. We're a small manufacturing company. How can I find out for sure? Any way to monitor? Failing that, I'm thinking I just disconnect them somehow and wait for someone to start shouting! What do you think?

Find the 5 ISDN boxes on the wall. They'll usually be wherever the Eircom cables come into the building. They're big-ish and usually beige/creamy colour. Then follow the cables from them and see where they go.

1 ISDN box usually means 2 phone/fax/lines. The boxes might even have phone numbers written on them so make a note of which box is for which line(s) before you starrt unplugging stuff. Don't give up 'cause each unused box is costing you hundreds every year.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,468 ✭✭✭matt-dublin

are they ISDN 2channel or isdn Primary or fractional rate lines?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 4,621 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr. G

Good question. Maybe if you had a look at voip to save a few bob.

Remember that maybe you are using one imbound number and distributing them across the other isdn's, as you might have 3 or 4 concurrent calls?

• Registered Users Posts: 287 ✭✭MLC61

Depending on who your provider is you should be able to see from your bill if they are being used for outbound calls. This would be the first step before you look at disconnecting.
    Don't confuse two phone numbers with two phone lines. As a previous poster says, look for the modems and where the cables from the underside of the modems go to. If they all go to your PBX make sure that you don't have hunting set up across the lines or specific lines for in and out before you cease.

Advertisement