Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Considering getting my son a gaming PC for Xmas - Help please.

Options
2»

Comments

• Site Banned Posts: 1,678 ✭✭✭Andy!!

Thankfully Minecraft is a game and not a parent lol.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,698 ✭✭✭Gumbi

I definitely like the idea of the father building it sit his son on Christmas Day. If the Dad can educate himself on the basics beforehand, and perhaps have a friend on standby if needed (I know I needed some help over the phone putting together my system), I think it's doable. Remember, he wants it to be reasonably future-proofed.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Gumbi wrote: »
    I definitely like the idea of the father building it sit his son on Christmas Day. If the Dad can educate himself on the basics beforehand, and perhaps have a friend on standby if needed (I know I needed some help over the phone putting together my system), I think it's doable. Remember, he wants it to be reasonably future-proofed.

Or the mother! Seems she's the one putting the leg work in here.

But as above, not really worth the risk.

ED E wrote: »

Or the mother! Seems she's the one putting the leg work in here.

But as above, not really worth the risk.
    Sure!

You mean the risk of putting one together?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,460 ✭✭✭DipStick McSwindler

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement

how about putting it all together and leaving one piece of ram out, tell the kid it wont work until he puts it in, put the ram in then...

BOOM!!

Power it on and the kid feels great!!
    Maye a bit more difficult than that :P How about putting in the PSU, connecting it to the mobo, and Lear the child to connect up the RAM, GPU, and CPU. Have the diskdrive set up already, hard drive too. 'Twould be great!

Sure!

The risk of one of the parts being dead. Like the mobo, RAM, whatever.

EDIT: My 1,000th post. Thankfully, it was informative, poignant and beautiful ;_)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 10,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭marco_polo

It been a while since I was a nipper but I'm pretty sure the last thing I would have wanted to do was make my own present on Christmas morning :D.

It would be a bit of a disappointment to find a problem on Christmas day, and then not be able to resolve anything until the new year, so from that point of view I think it better to buy/build as early as possible.

Andy!! wrote: »
    Sure!

The risk of one of the parts being dead. Like the mobo, RAM, whatever.
    Ah. Can't they be solved by pre-checkin the build?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,131 ✭✭✭subway

and the fun of installing windows (+assorted "updates") on christmas day? almost as good as watching the turkey roast...

get someone else to build it or buy prebuilt or, if you want to save some money, buy a new case and stick second hand innards into it. im sure someone on here will stick a santa hat on and help you build it between now and december

• Advertisement

Ah. Can't they be solved by pre-checkin the build?

Lads theres no point lol. Just have the PC working and ready for him in the morning. The kid is 11. He just wants to scalp American colonists with a tomahawk and stuff himself full of turkey and pudding.

... I think this kid is onto something, personally. ;)

subway wrote: »
    and the fun of installing windows (+assorted "updates") on christmas day? almost as good as watching the turkey roast...

get someone else to build it or buy prebuilt or, if you want to save some money, buy a new case and stick second hand innards into it. im sure someone on here will stick a santa hat on and help you build it between now and december
    The budget is up to 1k, that's not an issue. Second hand parts can save a lot of momey, though.. Like I said, that can all be pre-done. All that needs to be done is connect the GPU, CPU to the mobo and to the PSU, connect the RAM and if it in. 20 mins.

Great for a kid who's into Lego/building challenges. It's only a suggestion....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,131 ✭✭✭subway

the stretch budget is up to 1k with desk, chair, OS, monitor etc so im just giving an alternative idea :)

also, not suggesting the build idea is bad or wrong, just pointing out that a windows install will also be needed which is not nearly as much fun as assembly & build.
    then follow that with driver downloads, configuration, game install, game updates, game config... :pac:

subway wrote: »
    the stretch budget is up to 1k with desk, chair, OS, monitor etc so im just giving an alternative idea :)

also, not suggesting the build idea is bad or wrong, just pointing out that a windows install will also be needed which is not nearly as much fun as assembly & build.
    then follow that with driver downloads, configuration, game install, game updates, game config... :pac:
    Can all be done beforehand :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,461 ✭✭✭Queen-Mise

In Graiguecullen there is a Holy Angels Charity Warehouse - it is HUGE with loads of really good quality stuff. I have seen computer tables for 15 euro, and probably get a chair for the same. If they are in good nick - give them a good clean and they would probably look new.

Thanks so much for all your help so far. I think build is the way to go.

Minecraft doesn't care how old you are. Minecraft is nice like that.

Keep in mind, I'll be happy to build whatever you order. It's like a hobby.

I'll definitely take you up on the offer to build. I like having xmas done early so I can forget about it.

I think the most important thing for me - is that the PC will be able to game for the next few years. I don't want a game coming out in 12 or 18 months time that this PC wouldn't be able to play.

I'd like him to have the option of playing some of the online games also in a few years. He is too young yet for something like WoW - I might play it though :D

And it would most definitely be ME that would be doing the build in that scenario. My hubby still tries to type in web addresses in the google search bar :rolleyes::rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,600 ✭✭✭Eboggles

Thought I might throw my hat into the ring; there have been a few suggestions here by other posters that aren't exactly accurate...

Item|Price
    ASRock B75 Pro3, Sockel 1155, ATX|€69.29
    Club 3D Radeon HD 7850 royalQueen, 1GB GDDR5|€149.00
    8GB G.Skill PC3-10667U CL9|€28.09
    Samsung SSD 830 64GB SATA 6GB's Paper Box|€66.73
    WD Caviar Blue 500GB SATA 3 6Gb/s|€55.56
    Super-Flower Amazon 80Plus 450W|€43.33
    BitFenix Merc Beta|€32.19
    Intel Core i3-3220 Box, LGA1155|€111.20
    Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium 64-Bit (SB-Version)|€82.36
    Cooler Master CM Storm Inferno Mouse, USB|€39.99
    BenQ GL2450|€139.00
    Shipping|€18.99
    Total|€835.73

All you need is a keyboard, and desk/chair. Don't get the keyboard from that site as it'll be in German layout.

Anyway, the specifics:
    • Extremely well balanced, HD7850 + i3 3220 are what would be considered of mid-range gaming quality
    • 64GB Samsung SSD for super-quick bootup
    • 8GB of RAM - pretty standard nowadays
    • 500GB hard drive for storing the crap he will undoubtedly pick up over the years
    • Pretty standard motherboard
    • High quality power supply
    • Nice, clean budget case
    • Very flashy mouse ( I have it myself)
    • 24" Monitor so Minecraft looks really nice!

If you want the company (hardwareversand) to build the PC for you, throw all the items into your basket and then add this. Many of us here on the forum would happily build it for you for free (It's a hobby :)). I'd do it for you, but I don't drive so I wouldn't expect you to come up to Meath :D.

Have you picked out any desks/chairs yet? I saw these on IKEA, might be suitable? I don't know your budget for them so IDK. Anyway, it's this, this, and this

That company normally takes bank transfer, but they can do PayPal at an extra 3% charge. Credit cards aren't that popular in Germany.

I think that's everything. You just need to download Windows 7 from here and use the product key that comes with the disc that I have in the basket. There's no English versions in stock so I had to put in a German version. That's why I'm asking you to download it separately, so you can still use the English download with the key that comes in the actual box (the key works on any language).

• Registered Users Posts: 4,983 ✭✭✭Tea_Bag

this is one of the few cases that I would recommend against getting an SSD. an 11yo isn't going to manage space very well, and you'll have used that 64gb up in a matter of days. they download EVERYTHING. the hassle of explaining that some programs and games will need to be installed onto the extra drive isn't worth it. I'd put the saving into a bigger hdd (for the same reason) and a set of headphones (thank me later)

if you need speakers, I can vouch for these being bloody good value for money.

I'd also try and squeeze in an i5 if possible.
    also this mouse pad

• Registered Users Posts: 7,182 ✭✭✭Genghiz Cohen

Tea_Bag wrote: »
    +1

I have a huge mousepad, it kicks ass!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭Nazata

Actually when it comes to mousepads you can get a very nice custom free one as described in this thread. Mine arrived last week, very pleased with the quality and I'm sure your son would love having his favourite cartoon character etc. on a mousepad.

Nazata wrote: »
    Actually when it comes to mousepads you can get a very nice custom free one as described in this thread. Mine arrived last week, very pleased with the quality and I'm sure your son would love having his favourite cartoon character etc. on a mousepad.

I have to get the PC now - as I have just ordered this mousepad. I put a picture of the hulk on it with son's name :D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭U_Fig

Personally I'd go for this build...the extra oomph will last a little longer than a i3 and you have the option of adding a second hand 7850 in a couple of years in crossfire to give the games an oomph if they need it..

I'd also suggest... that if you want it ready for Christmas get it a little earlier that way if you are unlucky enough that some parts are broken on delivery you'll have plenty of time to get it replaced and will avoid your child hating (Santa) and growing up and becoming a criminal and blaming it on being disappointed that one Christmas when his present was broke :D

also you'll have more time to build it...

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭Nazata

Queen-Mise wrote: »
    I have to get the PC now - as I have just ordered this mousepad. I put a picture of the hulk on it with son's name :D:D

Excellent choice, hope he likes it as much as I like mine!

Advertisement