Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Glute ham raises did nothing for my squat or deadlift

• 11-10-2012 10:39am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,468 ✭✭✭

In a previous thread I mentioned that I was considering getting a GHR bench. The advice given here was along the lines that it is an overhyped exercise and that the equipment is a waste of money. Well I thought about it at lot, read a lot and came to the conclusion that I would get a GHR but a cheapish one rather than spending 1000+ on something with a question mark over its usefulness.

Anyway I have been using my GHR for a few weeks now and have found the following:

-I need to move the footplate very close to the knee pad to make it challenging. My bodyweight is only 75 kg, if I was stronger but heavier it would probably be much harder.

-I feel the hamstrings working hard and do enjoy the exercise. But I have not had any DOMS afterwards which was a surprise

-I don't feel anything in my glutes. I think my form is good - but has anyone any tips on form to get more glute involvement?

-I haven't added anything to my sumo deadlift, conventional deadlift or squat (ATG, high bar) since I started doing the GHRs.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,303 ✭✭✭COH

Stick up a vid

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,468 ✭✭✭BrianD3

No videos or pics I'm afraid; "BrianD3" doesn't post them on the internet or even PM them to people as I like to retain a degree of anonimity.

That doesn't stop me from watching and getting benefit from other people's videos though :) When I am doing GHRs I think my form is similar to the first couple of reps in this video. I think his form gets a bit looser for the later reps.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,617 ✭✭✭Squatman

to get an increase in you movements, you should include assistance movements that tackle your weakest point in the exercise.
    for example, where are you failing on your deadlift? off the floor, mid shins, at lockout

Same on squat, do you bomb out, or get stuck half way up?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,303 ✭✭✭COH

BrianD3 wrote: »
    In a previous thread I mentioned that I was considering getting a GHR bench. The advice given here was along the lines that it is an overhyped exercise and that the equipment is a waste of money. Well I thought about it at lot, read a lot and came to the conclusion that I would get a GHR but a cheapish one rather than spending 1000+ on something with a question mark over its usefulness.

Soooo many ways of simulating the movement without buying equipment.. you really just need to wedge your heal under something that wont move and use something for padding for your knees.
    Anyway I have been using my GHR for a few weeks now and have found the following:

-I need to move the footplate very close to the knee pad to make it challenging. My bodyweight is only 75 kg, if I was stronger but heavier it would probably be much harder.

Have you tried adding resistence?
    -I feel the hamstrings working hard and do enjoy the exercise. But I have not had any DOMS afterwards which was a surprise

You don't necessarily need to be crippled by DOMs to see benefit from an exercise
    -I don't feel anything in my glutes. I think my form is good - but has anyone any tips on form to get more glute involvement?

Squeeze them like an anti-rape mechanism

-I haven't added anything to my sumo deadlift, conventional deadlift or squat (ATG, high bar) since I started doing the GHRs.

Most GHRs are a piece of ****, the way they are set up makes them more like a back extension. I know that the difference between the one we have and the Elitefts/westside GHR that used to be in IP is massive. I can do millions off the GHR in Raw, yet struggle to do any consistent reps doing them out of the lat pulldown (lever point being below the knee as opposed to above)

Most people I see using the GHR pivot too much at the hip, get a fierce back pump, but don't lengthen the hamstring to any great degree either, instead of contracting the glute/hams to raise themselves to the start position they just use momentum. Mind muscle connection brah...

Advertisement