Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

(Soc) Banned for trying to help an OP

Options
  • 11-10-2012 10:46am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,416 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I've been permanently banned from PI. I posted a link to the show Embarrassing Bodies where a woman was getting laser treatment done. I wanted to show the OP that they were not alone and plenty of women suffer from excess facial hair. The mod took this video down and accused me of shilling/advertising as if I had some personal gain in putting this up, which I find disgusting. I simply explained why I put the link up, ie to help the OP. And said fair enough. Then I got banned.

The mod then proceeded to call me incapable of following instructions and that I basically do nothing only cause hassle. I have to point out that it's been over two years since i've received an infraction from what I can see so these comments are extremely unfair.

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

Have you discussed the ban with the mod in question via PM?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,416 ✭✭✭Danniboo

Yes and when I did she proceeded to tell me I do nothing only cause hassle and that i'm incapable of following instructions and that I should take it here.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

Okay, so I've just taken full stock of your record.
    Danniboo wrote: »
    I have to point out that it's been over two years since i've received an infraction from what I can see so these comments are extremely unfair.
    Actually you received a six month ban last year (in conjunction with an infraction).

More importantly, you've racked up FIVE previous bans from PI/RI in the last 3 years. The permanban you just received is on foot of these accumulated bans.

From the PI charter:
    ban lengths are accumulative and posters have been permanently banned from the personal issues forum.
    These rules are put in place for a reason. A forum like Personal Issues is a minefield and the mods can't be asked to put up indefinitely with posters who cannot stick to the rules.

I'm sorry but I can't help you here. You asked for one more card when you should have stuck, and now you're bust.

If you want an Admin to look at this as a last appeal, you can request that.

Dades wrote: »
    Okay, so I've just taken full stock of your record.

Actually you received a six month ban last year (in conjunction with an infraction).

More importantly, you've racked up FIVE previous bans from PI/RI in the last 3 years. The permanban you just received is on foot of these accumulated bans.

From the PI charter:

These rules are put in place for a reason. A forum like Personal Issues is a minefield and the mods can't be asked to put up indefinitely with posters who cannot stick to the rules.

I'm sorry but I can't help you here. You asked for one more card when you should have stuck, and now you're bust.

If you want an Admin to look at this as a last appeal, you can request that.

I asked for one more card and now i'm bust???? What does that mean???

Why do you think it's okay for a mod to basically accuse someone of shilling/advertising, ie trying to do something for personal gain when they were trying to help. That's the only reason I posted on the forum in response to the mods post. I've no problem with the link been removed, I understand you need to PM the mods with an issue and there wouldn't have been and issue if the mod didn't make this outrageous remark, which was made on the post for everyone to see. Are posters supposed to let mods say whatever they like about them and sit back do nothing, because even if the mod is in the wrong you'll still get a ban if you dare question them??

I would like the Admin staff to look at this please, thanks.

Danniboo wrote: »
    I asked for one more card and now i'm bust???? What does that mean???

I would like the Admin staff to look at this please, thanks.

Why is it okay for a mod to basically accuse someone of shilling/advertising, ie trying to do something for personal gain when they were trying to help. That's the only reason I posted on the forum in response to the mods post. I've no problem with the link been removed, I understand you need to PM the mods with an issue and there wouldn't have been and issue if the mod didn't make this outrageous remark, which was made on the post for everyone to see. Are posters supposed to let mods say whatever they like about them and sit back do nothing, because even if the mod is in the wrong you'll still get a ban if you dare question them??

Anyone could see the reason I posted this was to help the OP and offer them some comfort.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,339 ✭✭✭✭LoLth

Hi Danniboo

I've had a read through the thread here and I've read the thread in question.

the length of your ban is not an issue. Its clearly states in the charter that bans accumulate and this is the next logical progression having previously earned enough bans to work your way up to "permanent" by breaking the rules in the forum.

So, the issue is not, "does the user's action deserve a permenent ban" but is instead "does the users' action deserve any kind of ban at all".

to clarify two points you made here in this thread:

I posted a link to the show Embarrassing Bodies where a woman was getting laser treatment done

No, you posted a link to a commercial website that deals in the particular isue the OP was requesting information about. That the website happens to have been featured on an episode of embarrassing bodies and hosts the video is besides the point, you didnt link to a video of the tv show, you linked to a particular company website that charges for a service. Additionally, posting to youtube videos (badly worded, imho, should be "videos") is clearly against the charter and so the post was removed.

The mod posted the note explaining why the post was removed stating that
    please don't advertise/shill/link to specific commercial organisations in this forum.

note the use of "advertise" and "link" but you only saw the word "shill" and decided you had been gravely insulted and posted on thread to defend yourself, an understandable reaction if you had actually been insulted. you weren't . you had done exactly what the mod stated (you linked to a commercial site) and the post was removed. You weren't banned for that post as it is not included in the charter.

The ban however was not for the link, it was for breach of charter which is referring to you questioning the mod decision on thread and thus off topic and this is clearly stated in the charter
    Questioning a mod action in a thread in the Personal Issues forum is considered off topic and unhelpful posting and may result in a ban from the forum

By its nature the PI forum *has* to strictly enforce the charter as any allowances made will result in loss of trust from the users that need that forum as a resource.

By the letter of the forum rules, you did indeed break the charter and you shoud have been aware that you would run the risk of receiving a ban by choosing to post off topic instead of sending a private message to the mod in question.

which brings us to the second mis-representation where you say:
    Banned for trying to help an OP

you weren't, you were banned for breach of charter rules. Your previous post on the thread was helpful to the OP and did not breach the rules and you weren't banned for that.

I honestly do not see a valid argument to overturn the mods decision in this instance. Its harsh, yes but thats only because of your history and the bans you racked up previously. Whether or not the ban will remain permanent is a matter for the mods to decide themselves.

As for posters letting a mod say whatever they want, no and that has never been implied by any mod on boards and has in fact been an idea that has been actively opposed in the past. If you ahve an issue with a mod, contact one of their co-mods if not the mod themselves or contact a category mod. No-one has the right to insult or abuse a productive user on boards.ie .

LoLth wrote: »
    Hi Danniboo

I've had a read through the thread here and I've read the thread in question.

the length of your ban is not an issue. Its clearly states in the charter that bans accumulate and this is the next logical progression having previously earned enough bans to work your way up to "permanent" by breaking the rules in the forum.

So, the issue is not, "does the user's action deserve a permenent ban" but is instead "does the users' action deserve any kind of ban at all".

to clarify two points you made here in this thread:

No, you posted a link to a commercial website that deals in the particular isue the OP was requesting information about. That the website happens to have been featured on an episode of embarrassing bodies and hosts the video is besides the point, you didnt link to a video of the tv show, you linked to a particular company website that charges for a service. Additionally, posting to youtube videos (badly worded, imho, should be "videos") is clearly against the charter and so the post was removed.

The mod posted the note explaining why the post was removed stating that

note the use of "advertise" and "link" but you only saw the word "shill" and decided you had been gravely insulted and posted on thread to defend yourself, an understandable reaction if you had actually been insulted. you weren't . you had done exactly what the mod stated (you linked to a commercial site) and the post was removed. You weren't banned for that post as it is not included in the charter.

The ban however was not for the link, it was for breach of charter which is referring to you questioning the mod decision on thread and thus off topic and this is clearly stated in the charter

By its nature the PI forum *has* to strictly enforce the charter as any allowances made will result in loss of trust from the users that need that forum as a resource.

By the letter of the forum rules, you did indeed break the charter and you shoud have been aware that you would run the risk of receiving a ban by choosing to post off topic instead of sending a private message to the mod in question.

which brings us to the second mis-representation where you say:

you weren't, you were banned for breach of charter rules. Your previous post on the thread was helpful to the OP and did not breach the rules and you weren't banned for that.

I honestly do not see a valid argument to overturn the mods decision in this instance. Its harsh, yes but thats only because of your history and the bans you racked up previously. Whether or not the ban will remain permanent is a matter for the mods to decide themselves.

As for posters letting a mod say whatever they want, no and that has never been implied by any mod on boards and has in fact been an idea that has been actively opposed in the past. If you ahve an issue with a mod, contact one of their co-mods if not the mod themselves or contact a category mod. No-one has the right to insult or abuse a productive user on boards.ie .

If you seen where I posted the link I said look at the video. I also mentioned the word advertise not just shill as you have stated, i'm not sure where you're getting that from? I never questioned the mod decision regarding removing the link, I simply was defending why I put up in otherwards defending the outrageous reasons the mod was insinuating. I have contacted the mod only to be insulted further, ie. being told I do nothing only cause hassle and i'm incapable of following instructions. A blind man could see I was trying to help the OP which is why I posted the link, yes it may have been to a website, but I said to look at the video which was the whole point of me posting the link.

Here is the PM I received from Ickle Magoo:

What to do if you want to argue/dispute/discuss a moderator action is clearly covered by the PI charter and site rules. I deliberately didn't action your link, didn't even highlight the poster who made it and you just have to come back, create hassle and argue/comment on thread. It's the sad story of your PI posting career.

Take it up in the DRP - you've been given chance after chance and at this stage we can only assume you are incapable of posting within the rules.

How you can tell me that's not insulting, the "sad story of your PI posting career", basically insinuating that I never offer helpful advice. Suggesting I have to create hassle and argue??? All I did was state why I posted the link and said fair enough, and this is classes as "arguing." Calling me incapable???? Accusing me of shilling/advertising?????

No I wasn't insulted at all was I ?????

• Registered Users Posts: 9,945 ✭✭✭trout

After 10 bans & 12 infractions ... PI permaban is more than warranted.

There's an end to it.

/thread

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement