Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Basic question remote access to router

Options
  • 11-10-2012 10:55am
    Registered Users Posts: 570 ✭✭✭

Hi folks,

This is a beginner question.

I want to be able to access my home internet when I'm out and about, using unsecure wireless on my phone or laptop.

I don't have a computer at home I can leave on all day.

I understand that it should be possible to remotely access my router. I understand that if I leave a computer on at home I can ssh into it through my router.

Can I do something like access my home internet through a secure vpn or ssh tunnell just by accessing my router?

Is this available on certain models or firmwares or not at all? I would consider buying a router specifically for this if it didn't cost the earth...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭FSL

What on your network are you trying to access?

• Registered Users Posts: 570 ✭✭✭hooplah

I want to be able to surf safely when out and about. I use an ssh tunnell with a shell account for this at the moment but would like to do something else.

I know people do this by ssh'ing or using a vpn connected to a home computer. I want to do this without leaving a computer on at home - so accessing the internet through my router and not a computer.

I'm not sure if thats possible.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭demanufactured

hooplah wrote: »
    I want to be able to surf safely when out and about. I use an ssh tunnell with a shell account for this at the moment but would like to do something else.

I know people do this by ssh'ing or using a vpn connected to a home computer. I want to do this without leaving a computer on at home - so accessing the internet through my router and not a computer.

I'm not sure if thats possible.

Whats not safe about how you surf while away at the minute , it would be a bit silly to try and use your home broadband as a relay when your away , it would be slow as hell.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

Whats not safe about how you surf while away at the minute , it would be a bit silly to try and use your home broadband as a relay when your away , it would be slow as hell.

Not really, it's a very handy thing to have. I have a VPN setup on my router so I can do internet banking from my phone on a secure connection, I don't want to do it on mobile without the security of vpn encryption. I have another VPN on the router at my mams house, my sisters in the USA use it for the RTE player and for streams of matches on the RTE website. You don't stay connected, you just logon when you need it.

• Registered Users Posts: 570 ✭✭✭hooplah

Ok, so you can set that up just with the router?

Is that something that is model specific or should it work on a wide range of models?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

hooplah wrote: »
    Ok, so you can set that up just with the router?

Is that something that is model specific or should it work on a wide range of models?

You need a decent router. Any router that takes DD-WRT will do, it's pretty easy to setup in DD-WRT

• Registered Users Posts: 640 ✭✭✭Wcool

Be careful though, I think your Flash memory needs to be at least 8Mb.
    Most routers have only 4Mb. 4Mb is not enough to install VPN on the router

Advertisement