Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

DigitalRev Prices

• 11-10-2012 12:42pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 713 ✭✭✭

I have been a customer of DigitalRev, the Hong Kong based retailer, in the past when, as I recall, they had very competitive prices against retailers here and in the UK. Not any more, it seems.

I was checking the prices of the Sony RX100 on www.camerapricebuster.co.uk and it was stated that DigitalRev were selling it for £419 (€520). That's at least €100 cheaper than any Irish retailer and so I was very interested. However, when DigitalRev recognised me as an Irish customer the price quoted was €631.75 - little or no difference against Conns Cameras etc.

I queried the price difference between Ireland and the UK and was told that all import taxes and customs duties for individual countries are included in their website prices so that the end customer does not have to pay any additional charges on delivery. Which is fair enough except that I can't imagine there is more than €100 difference between UK and Irish taxes and duties. The UK VAT rate is 20%, Ireland's 23%.

Clearly, there is now little if any incentive for Irish customers to buy from DigitalRev in particular and from Hong Kong retailers in general. Good news for Irish retailers, I suppose, but bad news for Irish photographers.

Regards,

John

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,135 ✭✭✭TheVoodoo

Not that i'm advocating ignoring Irish retailers, but you could use Parcel Motel, who'll let you use their Belfast Hub address as a UK address, and then pay e3.50 to have it delivered to your local PM, The first two 'stays' on PM are free too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 713 ✭✭✭Carrigman

I couldn't possibly condone such subterfuge but I have (cough) "a friend" who may be interested in such an arrangement. I, er, *he* thanks you for the tip.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,060 ✭✭✭Kenny Logins

You'll still have to go to Dublin to pick up the parcel though..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,135 ✭✭✭TheVoodoo

My brother who lives in Cork had the parcel delivered directly to his door for 10e more, still using the Belfast hub! So it's only if you want to collect you need to be in the Greater Dublin region. ( sorry OP i only noticed your location there )

Advertisement