Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

somebody please convince me to stay with Xbox.

Options
  • 11-10-2012 12:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,475 ✭✭✭

I am and have been a dedicated Xbox fan for quite a few years now but a number of my friends are switching to PSN which doesn't really bother me. I pay for Xbox live to allow me to play online (Fair enough) but having to buy online codes for secondhand games really ticks me off, i mean ive already paid for the 12 month subscription.
    I know its a big thing to make you buy new games or else pay Microsoft a fee for not buying a new game. Seems like loose loose for the xbox customer.
    PSN is looking far more apealing for online gaming. Convince me otherwise

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,237 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

I am and have been a dedicated Xbox fan for quite a few years now but a number of my friends are switching to PSN which doesn't really bother me. I pay for Xbox live to allow me to play online (Fair enough) but having to buy online codes for secondhand games really ticks me off, i mean ive already paid for the 12 month subscription.
    I know its a big thing to make you buy new games or else pay Microsoft a fee for not buying a new game. Seems like loose loose for the xbox customer.

MOD NOTE: Please keep on topic everyone.

I have both consoles so this is a non-biased opinion.

Firstly, if you have to buy an code to play second hand games online with XBOX, you are going to have to do the same with the PS3 version of the game. That has nothing at all to do with Microsoft, and is an attempt by games manufacturers to make money off second hand game sales (and rightly so).

Xbox has first option for DLC on most of the major titles. On occasion, there are months in the difference in release dates for DLC between XBOX and PS3. It's borderline rediculous. Modern Warfare 3, Skyrim and Mass Effect 3 are good examples of this.

Thirdly, PSN is nowhere near as reliable or user friendly as XBOX Live IMO.

That's just off the top of my head. There is not a single game with online multiplayer and that is available on both machines where I have not bought the Xbox version.

To summarize...

33 euro annual XBL Subscription >>>>>>>> Free PSN. By miles.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭gizmo

How much are you paying for Live? You are aware of this, right?

Being a Gold member also allows you access to the Deals of the Week which, assuming you actually buy the excellent games available on XBLA, makes the subscription more than worth the money.

Stop buying second hand games if you don't want to pay for the online pass. Revenues from said passes go to the publishers, not Microsoft, and they owe you nothing since they haven't seen a penny from your second hand purchase.

I've mentioned quite a few times why I believe XBL is a better service than vanilla PSN so I won't go through the whole thing again. Owning both consoles, however, I know I certainly miss features such as cross-game chat and the party system when I play online. I also find the XBL Marketplace considerably easier to navigate and the ability to buy content via xbox.com is a god send when I'm away from the console.

That being said, given some of the quality games which are exclusive to the PS3, I always encourage folk to get both. If you were to do that then you'd be able to make the comparison yourself. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,475 ✭✭✭bitemybanger

Cheers for the replies, the blood pressure's coming down a little now :-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,649 ✭✭✭Not The Real Scarecrow

I know its a toss up between xbox and ps, but I think you should consider pc gaming if you're sick of paying for online passes on xbox.
    I've been on the olde xbox since the first one was released and absolutely love the platform.Had a ps3 but found some games online to be a bit more glitchy and prefered the xbox exclusive games(big halo fan),so I stuck with the xbox.When it comes to choosing between them I think that its really just a choice between which exclusives you prefer, or ,if you play alot online, which platform the majority of your friends use. Both are technically similar but I prefer XBL over the PSN, you get what you pay for.
    Lately I've gone back playing games on the pc as I find it cheaper to get the games and easier to play some of them online.I also find that the selection of pc exclusive games suite me better. I'm kind sick of fps and am finding a better selection of rpgs and rts on the pc, might be me just getting older or that I'm burned out from playing the same type of games that frequent consoles. You'd probably pick up a cheap enough pre build pc for the same price as a ps3 if that suited ya.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,678 ✭✭✭Crooked Jack

FutureGuy wrote: »

Firstly, if you have to buy an code to play second hand games online with XBOX, you are going to have to do the same with the PS3 version of the game. That has nothing at all to do with Microsoft, and is an attempt by games manufacturers to make money off second hand game sales (and rightly so).

Um, no!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,830 ✭✭✭✭Taltos

I have both also.

Have gold on the 360 - was not aware of the link above so that is good to know.
    Also have Plus on the PS3.

Recent changes - needed space recently to plug in a new device to the TV - and after a bit of thought the 360 has been consigned to the press. Playing a load of "free" PS3 games from plus at the moment so just enjoying that. Doubtless will swap out for Borderlands 2 soon though...

In terms of your initial argument about 2nd hand games - you are going to get caught with that no matter who you go to.
    I do enjoy the "free" online gaming with the PS3 even without the plus membership but I do despair at the DLC timelag. On that though having bought quite a bit of DLC i have now opted to not buy any more. Got tired of spending not inconsiderate sums of cash for what I consider, content that should have been out of the box - or content that is not worth it - but that is just my opinion.

Maybe just take a break from the 360 for a bit and come back to it. Nothing to stop you getting the PS3 deal in HMV at the moment and enjoying the best of both worlds.... Some great games on that bundle...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,574 ✭✭✭ahnowbrowncow

Thirdly, PSN is nowhere near as reliable or user friendly as XBOX Live IMO.

That's just off the top of my head. There is not a single game with online multiplayer and that is available on both machines where I have not bought the Xbox version.

To summarize...

33 euro annual XBL Subscription >>>>>>>> Free PSN. By miles.

Care to back up how psn is nowhere near as reliable or user friendly as xbox live?

Depending on how long you have your xbox it could have cost €300 for xbox live and it's nowhere near worth that.

I've used both online services and there's not much difference, your bias is showing

• Registered Users Posts: 11,012 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

I own both.

Have a PS+ subscription and a Live subscription.

The only advantage XBL has (and it's a huge one) is parties.

If you're buying a game that you'll mostly be playing online multiplayer with friends, then it's Xbox all the way. For everything else, it's PS3 for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,906 ✭✭✭✭PhlegmyMoses

Care to back up how psn is nowhere near as reliable or user friendly as xbox live?

Depending on how long you have your xbox it could have cost €300 for xbox live and it's nowhere near worth that.

I've used both online services and there's not much difference, your bias is showing
    I have both. I far prefer the Xbox LIVE interface and party systems than that of the PS3. This will be a preference thing, it has nothing to do with bias.

I have both. I far prefer the Xbox LIVE interface and party systems than that of the PS3. This will be a preference thing, it has nothing to do with bias.

Fair enough but to say that psn is nowhere near as reliable is clearly bias. I don't find xbox live to be much better than the psn and imo it's not worth the subscription fee

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,237 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

Excuse me? Bias? I just stated that I have both machines and these are my opinions based on that fact. I personally find XBL more reliable. Don't start bringing bias into things to defend your position.

My comment was "PSN is nowhere near as reliable or user friendly as XBOX Live IMO." I was commenting on both aspects together, not reliability as a whole. The reliability matter is my (and many others) personal opinions. I don't think anyone can argue that XBL was more user friendly than PSN. The UI is dreadful compared to XBL service, and I am not going to get into the state of the PSN store.

The fact you think XBL costs people 300 shows me you know little about XBL at all. XBL costs about 30 a year, and that is well worth it over PSN.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

Try PSN, it's all the convincing you need to stick with XBL.

• Registered Users Posts: 672 ✭✭✭Shifty Shellshock

Stay with xbox

Excuse me? Bias? I just stated that I have both machines and these are my opinions based on that fact. I personally find XBL more reliable. Don't start bringing bias into things to defend your position.

My comment was "PSN is nowhere near as reliable or user friendly as XBOX Live IMO." I was commenting on both aspects together, not reliability as a whole. The reliability matter is my (and many others) personal opinions. I don't think anyone can argue that XBL was more user friendly than PSN. The UI is dreadful compared to XBL service, and I am not going to get into the state of the PSN store.

The fact you think XBL costs people 300 shows me you know little about XBL at all. XBL costs about 30 a year, and that is well worth it over PSN.

Stating that psn is nowhere near as reliable is an opinion that shows bias because you rarely use psn seeing as "There is not a single game with online multiplayer and that is available on both machines where I have not bought the Xbox version", how would you know how reliable psn is?

And I never said it costs €300 a year, what I was saying was that it is easily possible to have spent that amount on xbox live if you have had the console from launch day, depending on whether you got a 3 month pass on an annual one and in the not so distant past xbox live cost €60 for a year membership.

Anyways I didn't come here to argue, I should have known it would not be possible to have an unbiased discussion about both consoles on an xbox forum

• Registered Users Posts: 5,678 ✭✭✭Crooked Jack

This reminds me of Rory McIlroy and the Irish Olympic team. If you dont want to play with us then we're not going to beg you (until the Microsoft CEO tries to bribe you with the chance to use the player one controller)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,234 ✭✭✭Meesared

Have to admit, why is it up to us to convince you, bizarre post

• Registered Users Posts: 1,158 ✭✭✭Enigma IE

One reason, PSN, you get what you pay for.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,983 ✭✭✭Darksaga87

I also have a PS3 and xbox. I use my PS mainly for the console exclusive games and bluray. The exclusives on PS are better than XB360, IMO. Ive never been into halo etc.

But, if a game comes out on both platforms, ill buy the xbox version. The controller on 360 is better than the ps3, its more comfortable, and ive had a PS since PS1.

The store and dashboard are easier to navigate on 360. I like the fact I can download some older games on the PSN store though.

For me personally, i couldnt not have both. They both have pros and cons, most of the time it comes down to personal preference and what console your friends use so you can game online with them.

PSN being free is good, but id rather pay for the better interface and features of xbox.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,892 ✭✭✭grimm2005

Enigma IE wrote: »
    One reason, PSN, you get what you pay for.

True that. What annoyed me a lot more then PSN been out for a month was the fact that all my personal details including credit card information had been stolen. How anyone could say that XBL and PSN are both just as reliable as each other after that sh!tstorm I'll never know.

On a side note, the PS3 seems to want an update every time I switch it on, and every time the download (as well as any PSN download) is excruciatingly slow compared to XBL downloads. As you say, you get what you pay for. Microsoft gets so much money from the service so by default theyre going to have more cash to make it more stable and user friendly, something I'm happy to pay the €30 a year for.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,462 ✭✭✭projectgtr

Ive had both but kept my Xbox and sold my PS3, theres not much in them for me it was more the fact all my friends play XBL. Personally ive always thought the xbox dashboard and xbl was a much nicer interface but i havent had a go of the new updated PSN.

That doesnt wash with me, what other industry gets a cut of secondhand sales?? Its just greedimo, i will purposely not buy or support a game that involves purchases of codes.

• Advertisement
Advertisement