Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Surfing in strong off-shore winds?

Options
  • 11-10-2012 1:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭

This morning the wind was howling off-shore making it very hard to catch anything at all. It was like the brakes were on when paddling for a wave and no matter how hard I paddled, the wind was effectively stopping me getting over the top and down onto the face.

So whats the trick then? Paddling hard is'nt the issue, I just was'nt getting anywhere! I was on a 7'6" btw and suspect that was the issue. Board too large and acting like a sail slowing me down....

What ye think? I'm trying to talk myself into getting a smaller board just in case the wind ever blows off-shore ever again :D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,728 ✭✭✭rodento

Can be just as tricky on a smaller board you just have to take off as close to the breaking wave as possible

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,239 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Having a big heavy monster of a board makes it easier to surf in windy conditions I find. Can afford to move an inch or two forward on the board when paddling as well as doing what Rodento said.

• Registered Users Posts: 286 ✭✭keryl

As bad as paddling is, the spray is just as bad. Goggles :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 865 ✭✭✭FlashD

Any kind of wind is just a pain in the ass for surfing unless its a light offshore below 10 knots.

With the price of fuel, best advice is just stay at home, watch some films and drink coffee.

When a perfect day comes ,it makes the experience all the sweeter.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,728 ✭✭✭rodento

Some of my best and most enjoyable days have been in strong offshores.

Nothing beats the spray in the face/blind takeoffs off into the abyss:D

Not me but had a super session that day

276101.jpg

• Advertisement

^^^^ Great photo.

....but different folks, different strokes.

Let's be honest, you froze your ass off that day, probably couldn't feel your feet for a week :D

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭dermo909

FlashD wrote: »
    Any kind of wind is just a pain in the ass for surfing unless its a light offshore below 10 knots.

With the price of fuel, best advice is just stay at home, watch some films and drink coffee.

When a perfect day comes ,it makes the experience all the sweeter.

I completely disagree! Well not about the the wind being a pain in the ass but more so about staying at home. If there are waves and I have time to hit the water, then I'll go. I only live 10mins from the beach so I dont really mind if its crap and I have to head home though.

I treat less than perfect days as training for when it is perfect. If we waited until it was perfect, we'd never get in the water. Especially in Ireland!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,987 ✭✭✭spaceHopper

dermo909 wrote: »
    I completely disagree! Well not about the the wind being a pain in the ass but more so about staying at home. If there are waves and I have time to hit the water, then I'll go. I only live 10mins from the beach so I dont really mind if its crap and I have to head home though.

I treat less than perfect days as training for when it is perfect. If we waited until it was perfect, we'd never get in the water. Especially in Ireland!
    you could always get a body board or a knee board

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭Ronnie Beck

This morning the wind was howling off-shore making it very hard to catch anything at all. It was like the brakes were on when paddling for a wave and no matter how hard I paddled, the wind was effectively stopping me getting over the top and down onto the face.

So whats the trick then? Paddling hard is'nt the issue, I just was'nt getting anywhere! I was on a 7'6" btw and suspect that was the issue. Board too large and acting like a sail slowing me down....

What ye think? I'm trying to talk myself into getting a smaller board just in case the wind ever blows off-shore ever again :D

Less rocker in the board helps in offshore winds. Also correct technique. You have to be on the limit of how far forward on the board you can lie.

Less rocker in the board helps in offshore winds. Also correct technique. You have to be on the limit of how far forward on the board you can lie.

Practice makes perfect I reckon!

• Advertisement

If we waited until it was perfect, we'd never get in the water. Especially in Ireland!

What are you on about?

I've had more than a few perfect days over the last two months 'in Ireland', you must be reading the charts wrong. :pac:

FlashD wrote: »
    What are you on about?

I've had more than a few perfect days over the last two months 'in Ireland', you must be reading the charts wrong. :pac:

Nope, I've had a load of good days recently! Surfed out in fact!

Advertisement