Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Registering for first year of preschool

• 11-10-2012 1:25pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 231 ✭✭

Hi,

My son will turn 3 in June next year, and a friend told me I had to pre-register him for the school year starting next year.

How do I go about finding out what schools to look at? I assume it will depend on what school district we live in?

Also, is there some kind of comparator to evaluate the quality of the school?

Finally, anything else I should know about? Maybe fees, uniforms, etc...

Thanks!

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,977 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

Just ring around the local play schools and make appointments to see them.
    I presume he is starting big school in Sept 2014 so it is for the ECCE year?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 231 ✭✭MaudL

Hi Moonbeam.

I think so? Still trying to wrap my head around the Irish system.
    He was born in June 2010, so if I understand correctly he should do one year of ECCE starting in September 2013, and then the year after that start regular school?

Thanks for your help

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭Ayla

Just to clarify: your son doesn't *have* to do anything (bar be in receipt of some form of "minimum education") at the age of 6. Legally the age to start school in Ireland is 6.

Having said that, many people put their kids in before the age of 6 for a lot of reasons. But know that you don't *have* to if you or your child isn't ready. Same for montessori/preschool.

Regarding the preschool, this is the ECCE regulation for your child's year:
    For the year starting in September 2013, children born between 2 February 2009 and 30 June 2010 (both these dates included) will be eligible.

However, if your child will be between the ages of 3yr 2 month - 4yr 7 month on Sept 2014 then they can delay going into the ECCE scheme until 2014.

http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/education/pre_school_education_and_childcare/early_childhood_care_and_education_scheme.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 231 ✭✭MaudL

Thanks Ayla for this information. I think we will be putting him in school, as he is being minded at home at the moment. It will do him good to be among other children.

• Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭slarkin123

Can i jump in and ask how do you apply for it? My son will be 3 in January so will be starting playschool in Sept 2013. His name is already down in the school because i know the owner. But im a bit unclear on how and when to apply. This scheme wasn't available on my older 2 so feeling a bit lost with it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,932 ✭✭✭huskerdu

slarkin123 wrote: »
    Can i jump in and ask how do you apply for it? My son will be 3 in January so will be starting playschool in Sept 2013. His name is already down in the school because i know the owner. But im a bit unclear on how and when to apply. This scheme wasn't available on my older 2 so feeling a bit lost with it

You just find out what local creches run the ECCE scheme and knock on the door or ring them to find out if they have places and how to put your sons name down for a place. Any forms to be filled out to get the funding will be done by the creche and if they need any information from you, they will let you know.

Advertisement