Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Whats your highest ever phonebill?

• 11-10-2012 2:01pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,163 ✭✭✭✭

French phone bill waived after 12tn-euro blunder A woman in south-west France who received a telephone bill of nearly 12tn euros has had the real amount she owed waived - after the company admitted its mistake.

Solenne San Jose, from Pessac outside Bordeaux, said she received a huge shock when she opened the bill for 11,721,000,000,000,000 euros (£9.4tn).

This is nearly 6,000 times France's annual economic output.

She had requested her account be closed after losing her job last month.

The former teaching assistant said she "almost had a heart attack. There were so many zeroes I couldn't even work out how much it was".

The phone company, Bouygues Telecom, initially told her there was nothing they could do to amend the computer-generated statement and later offered to set up instalments to pay off the bill.

In the end, the company admitted the bill should have been for 117.21 euros only, and eventually waived it altogether.

It has also apologised for the gaffe, which it says was down to a printing error and a subsequent misunderstanding between the client and staff at their call centre.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-19908095

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,591 ✭✭✭blue note

HAHAHA! Offering her installments on a 12tn dollar bill! Sure she could just pay a trillion per month and she'd have it paid off in a year!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,635 ✭✭✭eth0

about 2,700 euros. Never paid it though

This was Esat back in the day, they didn't send a bill for 2 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 590 ✭✭✭maddragon

I got a phone bill in Asmara, Eritrea once. It's at about 7500 ft above sea level so that was probably my highest bill.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,225 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

Record for me was a €4,500 bill having been travelling in Japan and India for a month on business.

In a previous job where I traveled a lot I regularly had €1,500 to €2,000 monthly bills..

Thankfully I just saw the bill and never had to pay for it as it was a company phone!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,382 ✭✭✭petes

eth0 wrote: »
    about 2,700 euros. Never paid it though

This was Esat back in the day, they didn't send a bill for 2 years.

So because you didn't receive a bill you didn't owe the money?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,635 ✭✭✭eth0

Insurgent wrote: »
    So because you didn't receive a bill you didn't owe the money?

No clue, I got out of it anyway and that's all that matters.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,460 ✭✭✭Blisterman

French phone bill waived after 12tn-euro blunder A woman in south-west France who received a telephone bill of nearly 12tn euros has had the real amount she owed waived - after the company admitted its mistake.

Solenne San Jose, from Pessac outside Bordeaux, said she received a huge shock when she opened the bill for 11,721,000,000,000,000 euros (£9.4tn).

This is nearly 6,000 times France's annual economic output.

She had requested her account be closed after losing her job last month.

The former teaching assistant said she "almost had a heart attack. There were so many zeroes I couldn't even work out how much it was".
    Neither could the BBC apparently, cause that's £9.4 quadrillion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,760 ✭✭✭summerskin

Was €8000+ last month

eth0 wrote: »
    No clue, I got out of it anyway and that's all that matters.

Fair enough. Mine was €111 this year but years ago I got one for £220. Bit ****e for a month!!

summerskin wrote: »
    Was €8000+ last month

And this is your own personal phone bill and not just your companies?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,566 ✭✭✭Funglegunk

Highest personal phone bill was about €500 after accidentally enabling data roaming while in America. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,455 ✭✭✭Where To

My bills used average €400-500 a month in the glory days of extortionate roaming charges, down to about €35-40 now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,760 ✭✭✭summerskin

And this is your own personal phone bill and not just your companies?

it's my business phone that i use and run up ridiculous bills occasionally as a result of roaming and data roaming charges.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,778 ✭✭✭up for anything

£587.67 in the glory days of dial up. :(:(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,198 ✭✭✭CardBordWindow

I'm glad to say I've never went over 50 quid a month. That's on pay as you go though, so not technically a bill.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,439 ✭✭✭SunnyDub1

This is why I don't use a bill phone! Dangerous :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

80 quid, was while I was in Canada and had to make a really long call to sort something at home, on average about 20-25 a month, sometimes less, work in the industry and it baffles me how anyone who has more than 50 quid a month bills think its normal

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,191 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

blue note wrote: »
    HAHAHA! Offering her installments on a 12tn dollar bill! Sure she could just pay a trillion per month and she'd have it paid off in a year!

Let's be more realistic. She could pay €75 per month for 13 trillion years, though the interest accrued might be a small problem.

I just checked my landline bill, which arrived today, and the wife was on the phone to her sister, who she sees regularly, for over 3 fcuking hours on one call! What do they be fcuking talking about?

Girls, any ideas? :pac:

Pherekydes wrote: »
    L
    I just checked my landline bill, which arrived today, and the wife was on the phone to her sister, who she sees regularly, for over 3 fcuking hours on one call! What do they be fcuking talking about?

Girls, any ideas? :pac:

You!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,507 ✭✭✭✭castletownman

Wasted 20 euro in the space of nothing one night when I rang Babestation after a day on the porter.

Didn't even have a chance to talk her out of her bra :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,191 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

You!!

Talking for 3 hours about me? LOL, I'm not that interesting.

Around 200 euro I think was my highest a few years ago, and none was roaming.

Now I have an unlimited plan for 34.50 per month, could have done with it back then.

Advertisement