Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Call from Hospital RE: Vaccine

Options
  • 11-10-2012 2:26pm
    Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,467 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I had a call today from Waterford Regional Hospital with regards giving a vaccine to my twin boys who are almost 5 months old. I was under the impression that all vaccines after the first BCG one would be administered by a GP. They said i would need to collect the vaccine at a local pharmacy and it would be given by their Rep at our home. I'm wondering exactly what vaccine it could be as i did find it hard to understand the hospital rep at times?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

I would ring the hospital back and ask them what it is for.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

Sometimes premmies or babies with conditions affecting their immune system are given extra vaccines.

The usual extras are for rotavirus, upper respiratory infections, chicken pox. GP's don't normally stock those, hence the picking up from the pharmacy. It might be the flu one maybe? Those are just guesses though.

Phone back and find out, they really should have told you.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,467 Mod ✭✭✭✭mickger844posts

pwurple wrote: »
    Sometimes premmies or babies with conditions affecting their immune system are given extra vaccines.

The usual extras are for rotavirus, upper respiratory infections, chicken pox. GP's don't normally stock those, hence the picking up from the pharmacy. It might be the flu one maybe? Those are just guesses though.

Phone back and find out, they really should have told you.

Thanks for that. They were 32 week premmies so what your saying about other vaccines makes sense. I will give them a call tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

I have an 8 month old born in WRH, and I have never had a situation like your so it must be in relation to them arriving around 32 weeks.

Advertisement