Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Combat sport weight training

• 11-10-2012 2:35pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 62 ✭✭

Hi all,

Could do with a bit of help coming up wit a strength program, I train bjj and striking 2 x week so only really have 2 days to strength train

Primary goals are to maintain strength and muscle will loosing bit of the aul fat

Currently weight 110kg goal weight 105kg but tat will be down to diet

The real problem is designing a program tat doesn't take away from the bjj and striking class things like doms and cns fatigue etc

Current lifts are around

Bench 160
    Squat 180
    Deadlift 220

Been thinking either 2 days fullbody workout or upper day 1 lower day 2

Current schedule

Monday striking
    Tuesday bjj
    Wednesday weights
    Thursday bjj
    Friday striking
    Saturdayweights
    Sundays off

I don't train for competition, just love to train all the above, sorry if post is all over the shop on the phone, help would be appreciated

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,705 ✭✭✭✭Tigger

Dka e80 wrote: »
    Hi all,

Could do with a bit of help coming up wit a strength program, I train bjj and striking 2 x week so only really have 2 days to strength train

Primary goals are to maintain strength and muscle will loosing bit of the aul fat

The real problem is designing a program tat doesn't take away from the bjj and striking class things like doms and cns fatigue etc

Current lifts are around

Bench 160
    Squat 180
    Deadlift 220

Current schedule

Monday striking
    Tuesday bjj
    Wednesday weights
    Thursday bjj
    Friday striking
    Saturdayweights
    Sundays off

I don't train for competition, just love to train all the above, sorry if post is all over the shop on the phone, help would be appreciated
    What did you do to get where you are now without getting too tired to train?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 62 ✭✭Dka e80

Tigger wrote: »
    Dka e80 wrote: »
    Hi all,

Current lifts are around

Bench 160
    Squat 180
    Deadlift 220

Current schedule

Monday striking
    Tuesday bjj
    Wednesday weights
    Thursday bjj
    Friday striking
    Saturdayweights
    Sundays off

What did you do to get where you are now without getting too tired to train?

Been lifting 15 years on and off, strength has come down since taking up martial arts, previous best lifts bench 180, squat 200, deadlift 260, its prob a case of just picking either weights or martial arts

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,565 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

My schedule is similar to yours. BJJ twice, weights twice, one striking and a "conditioning" workout if I fit it in.
    My goals and concerns would similar too. To maintain or increase strength as much as possible without impacting other training.

My solution to this was to take a intermediate 3 times a week strength routine (Madcow), and apply it over 10/11 days rather than 7.
    So instead of doing a workout mon/weds/fri. Do it weds/sat/weds.

I went with Madcow because I felt ramped sets, and a single work set was best from DOMS/fatigue point of view. And I like the fact it was only 3 exercises a session.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,695 ✭✭✭King of Kings

although I've trained martial arts for 12 years , when I started muay thai 18 months ago it took a lot outha me than before - prob cos I'd spar at least twice a week and as result my lifts dropped - I just didn't have the recovery -
    I'm 35 now so I guess that also adds to it

I wasn't lifting as heavy as you
    Deadlfit - 200
    squat - 180
    bench - 110

bench has remained strong and improved but Dl and squat drop 40kg each, back making slow gains on them , I'm sure if I forced a 1rm they be higher - that's a working set.

I've fiddled around with some programs , I find 5/3/1 is the best in terms of recovery , the minimal amount of exercises wendler preaches (i'd only do 3 - 4 exercises and prob at least 1 is BW) prob helps and the fact I now lift at lunch time which limits each session to 40mins.
    That said the day after a spar sometimes DL and Squat are just out.

I do 3 5/3/1 sessions a week and 3 thai.
    I do go to the gym other days - maybe do a complex session for 15 mins or just flute about depends on mood.

Mellor wrote: »
    My schedule is similar to yours. BJJ twice, weights twice, one striking and a "conditioning" workout if I fit it in.
    My goals and concerns would similar too. To maintain or increase strength as much as possible without impacting other training.

My solution to this was to take a intermediate 3 times a week strength routine (Madcow), and apply it over 10/11 days rather than 7.
    So instead of doing a workout mon/weds/fri. Do it weds/sat/weds.

I went with Madcow because I felt ramped sets, and a single work set was best from DOMS/fatigue point of view. And I like the fact it was only 3 exercises a session.

Cheers for the reply, I have looked at the 5 x 5, wendler, built in a hurry (strength end of program) and I think iam goin to with 5 x 5 ramped

day 1: deadlift, press, chins, calve raises

day 2: front squat, bench, row, curl

Hopefully I'll recover better on this than I hav been on a split program

• Advertisement

although I've trained martial arts for 12 years , when I started muay thai 18 months ago it took a lot outha me than before - prob cos I'd spar at least twice a week and as result my lifts dropped - I just didn't have the recovery -
    I'm 35 now so I guess that also adds to it

I wasn't lifting as heavy as you
    Deadlfit - 200
    squat - 180
    bench - 110

bench has remained strong and improved but Dl and squat drop 40kg each, back making slow gains on them , I'm sure if I forced a 1rm they be higher - that's a working set.

I've fiddled around with some programs , I find 5/3/1 is the best in terms of recovery , the minimal amount of exercises wendler preaches (i'd only do 3 - 4 exercises and prob at least 1 is BW) prob helps and the fact I now lift at lunch time which limits each session to 40mins.
    That said the day after a spar sometimes DL and Squat are just out.

I do 3 5/3/1 sessions a week and 3 thai.
    I do go to the gym other days - maybe do a complex session for 15 mins or just flute about depends on mood.

I don't think there is much we can do to stop the lifts from dropping so ill just plough thru, wen I first started I was so beat up tat I could only lift 1 day a week if I was lucky so I've come on a good bit from there, iam also lifting at lunch and time is an issue for me also, I hear ye about deads and squats the after sparing/rolling my plan is if iam tat bad ill just do the assistance exercises and get out

I have searched this madcow and I'm intrigued.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,565 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

I have searched this madcow and I'm intrigued.
    I've been doing it for a while now. As i said, the ramped sets, and minimalist approach appealed to me.
    Any questions on it? I'll try answer from my limited experience.

cool , thanks I'll see how I get on.
    i downloaded a spreadsheet and it's look handy.
    The minimal approach is what i'm after , I don't really have the time for fluting about in the gym anymore.

Advertisement