Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

McDonalds for a 4 year old

Options
  • 11-10-2012 2:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,662 ✭✭✭

I had never once mentioned the word 'McDonalds' to my kid. A few months ago, he said to me "McDonalds is the place where you get burgers".

I said "How did you know that". He said, "I saw it on the telly". Now I cant remember seeing a McDonalds ad in the last five years, but obviously they are still there for day time tv.

Anyways, that was that until yesterday he said "Can we go to the McDonalds near the library to get burgers".

We have places that we go for Burgers and Chips such as GBK or Bobo, and I suggested there. But he said no, he wants McDonalds. I think someone at his new school must have spoken about it.

Now personally, I hate McDonalds. I hate it. I have visions of putting spoons of lard into my stomach when I drive past it.

However..... I liked it when I was a kid.

What does the book of good parenting say to do in this situation?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,083 ✭✭✭juneg

Chill out.
    When you walk under the golden M of MacDonalds and look around, you will be consoled that you are doing a good job as a parent and that your kids arent so bad after all.

We go rarely but I see no harm in it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,876 ✭✭✭Scortho

Tombo2001 wrote: »
    I had never once mentioned the word 'McDonalds' to my kid. A few months ago, he said to me "McDonalds is the place where you get burgers".

I said "How did you know that". He said, "I saw it on the telly". Now I cant remember seeing a McDonalds ad in the last five years, but obviously they are still there for day time tv.

Anyways, that was that until yesterday he said "Can we go to the McDonalds near the library to get burgers".

We have places that we go for Burgers and Chips such as GBK or Bobo, and I suggested there. But he said no, he wants McDonalds. I think someone at his new school must have spoken about it.

Now personally, I hate McDonalds. I hate it. I have visions of putting spoons of lard into my stomach when I drive past it.

Right first of all I'm not a parent!
    But going from my parents experience they used it as a treat when we were really really good! But it might only have been once or twice a year! And they hated it too!
    While I loved McDonalds at the time, mainly because it was a treat, I'd much prefer to go to BOBOS or JoBurger nowadays!
    If you use it as a treat I'd say it'd be fine! But don't make it into a regular occurrence!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,721 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

If you're kid hasn't been to McD's before, you may be pleasantly surprised when they are uninterested in the food and struggle to do more than nibble at it. We were...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,781 ✭✭✭clappyhappy

We took our 3 in last thursday night for a treat. Eldest was 8 and wanted to buy his own clothes and go to macDonalds. It was their 2nd time there this year. the food isn't very healthy but once in a while its fine. I had a caesar salad and OH had a wrap, yes the kids had happy meals, but its not going to do any harm using it as a treat.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,662 ✭✭✭Tombo2001

juneg wrote: »
    Chill out.
    When you walk under the golden M of MacDonalds and look around, you will be consoled that you are doing a good job as a parent and that your kids arent so bad after all.

We go rarely but I see no harm in it

Twice a year would be fine, but my worry is that he'll be screaming for it every weekend. Will have to pitch it with him that its only a very very special treat.

But problem is (and I'm not casting aspersions on other parents....ok I am....) there's bound to be some kid in his class who will ruin it for me by saying "we go there every Thursday"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,032 ✭✭✭She Devil

If your kid eats healthily normally, then a treat like this every now and again shouldn't be any harm.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

Moderation.
    Id say once in a while will be fine. Your kid may not even like it. We've never been either, but at some point someone will be having a birthday party or something there.

I've seen 9 month olds sitting in their buggy with a happy meal, effectively being weaned onto it. You're fine.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

I would treat them to it occasionally.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

He might scream for it every weekend but you are the parent and you say when he gets what. My two always think we're going to McDonalds when we pass it by, they get a bit disappointed when we say "not today" but then that's the end of it. They know it's treat food and they get it once in a blue moon and even when they do get it they won't even eat most of it, they like the toy and the balloon more... it's more mammy who has a hankering for a Big Mac now and then :eek:

It won't kill him, or you, and he might not even like it!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,075 ✭✭✭Rasmus

Tombo2001 wrote: »

Your son has more than likely seen the ads of happy kids happily chomping down on burgers in McDonalds. (Yes, they are on during the day). If you don't want him to eat McDs then that is your decision, which I could easily agree with, but every now and again it probably won't do any harm. I prefer to give this kind of treat than sweets, fizzy drinks and crisps (I hate stuff like chewy bars, coloured e-number crap) but each to their own.

A pediatrician once told me that even McD is acceptable in moderation - there is the meat (protein) the bread (carbs) and the cheese (tiny bit of calcium) and the milkshake (calcium). Moderation is the key and I think that means once a month or so, probably less - that is at least my understanding.

I remember it being sooo good when I was a kid too, but think it is revolting now. Back then though, we might have gone once or twice a year and only for a birthday. If those rules could be applied today, we'd be grand.

I'd go to BK before McD - it seems slightly less bad for you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,400 ✭✭✭lukesmom

Everything in moderation is fine. I wouldn't worry to much about it to be honest

• Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

He wants McDonalds because it's hard to drive around or indeed live in this world without seeing some form of MCD advertising, he probably saw Ronalds big head on a poster by the side of the road some day.

I say deffo let them have a treat if they are bothered, but as a treat and as part of a healthy balanced diet.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,831 ✭✭✭Lucutus

Guilty of 'treating' our kids to that crap in the past.

Nowadays, when the shining light of the golden arches is on, that means they are sold out of happy meals.

Likewise, when the ice-cream van blares music outside the house, that means they are sold out of ice-cream.

Spend the money on the quality ingredients for good homemade burgers and keep a decent ice cream ready in the freezer instead.

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭missis aggie

Its if course up to you, but I personally don't like the idea of McDonald's being associated as a treat... in the end of the day its a take away with highly processed food...

• Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

Its if course up to you, but I personally don't like the idea of McDonald's being associated as a treat... in the end of the day its a take away with highly processed food...

That's why it's a treat - because it's processed food ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 353 ✭✭Daffodil.d

If you have managed to get your kid to four without having to do Mc ds you did well. I was 16 when I had my first Mc ds. There just wasn't one in my town before that. Anyway, I only do it as a fast food treat. Very rarely My two kids love it then. When I get asked at other times I just tell them That the owner is on hols and its closed. As parents We're always doubting ourselves. But imagine there are people who bring their kids there very often without even questioning the health factor.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,029 ✭✭✭SusieBlue

As part of a balanced diet I see no issue with it being a treat now and then. If you totally deprive him of it he'll feel like he's missing out which won't work out well in the long term.

Obviously if he's eating pizza and chips every night of the week I wouldn't condone it at all but if he eats healthy most of the time I don't think there's any harm in the occasional bit of chocolate or fast food :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,063 ✭✭✭Greenmachine

Not sure how your child has seen the commercials and not you.

• Administrators Posts: 14,050 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Big Bag of Chips

If you bring him and he asks for it again you say.. not today.

As January says, you're the adult!

I don't see any harm in it occassionally. It's a treat in our house too. But not a 'treat' in the sense of a reward, its a treat in the sense of it's seldom!

No harm.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,988 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Creche? That's how the dreaded Barney crept in, he's banned from the house.
    Oh yeah, they had her doing prayers without telling us, too :(

I wouldn't worry about McDonald's etc if, as the small print on the ad says, "eaten in moderation as part of a balanced diet". Our 4.5 year old has been in there I think twice (when the adults were starving on a shopping trip) and wasn't that bothered about it, would pick at a few chips, lick the ketchup off them and not eat the chips or burger. Fine by us :)

It's great that CBBC, CBeebies and RTE Jr don't have any ads, the toy ads would bother me more than the fast food ads tbh.

The Roman Catholic Church is beyond despicable, it laughs at us as we pay for its crimes. It cares not a jot for the lives it has ruined.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭Ayla

Anything in moderation.

Honestly, I always have a bit of chuckle when people are so against McDs but don't have any problem ordering off a kid's menu at 90% of the restaurants out there. Kids are never offered anything but burgers/chips, sausages/chips, nuggets/chips or fish fingers/chips. If you're lucky you'll get lasagna/chips, but that's about it. I've almost never seen any fruit/veg on offer at a restuarant.

Compare that against McD's who has started including a fruit cup (ok, like 3 grapes) and a thing of raisins, maybe some yoghurt, and you can get water instead of sugar juice (aka ribena et al). Yes, I know the burger/nuggets have all sorts in it, and the chips are loaded with grease & sodium, but they are anywhere you go. KFC/BK/any chipper will be at least as bad.

So, OP, the way I see it anywhere can be as good or as bad as you want it to be. It's not McD's that the enemy, it's what you choose to order for your child wherever you choose to go.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭Orion

Unhelpful and irrelevant posts like this are not welcome on the Parenting forum. Please do not do it again.

Ayla wrote: »
    and you can get water instead of sugar juice (aka ribena et al).

Ooooh. That takes me right back to the second time our daughter was on a plane, she'd just turned 3 and had never had a sugary drink (not that we'd ever made a fuss about it though.) Mammy thought the Ribena was sugar-free, it wasn't. Thankfully I suppose, it didn't really kick in until we got off the plane but she was still looking for more 2 days later. "BEENA, BEENA, WANT BEENA" :eek:

The Roman Catholic Church is beyond despicable, it laughs at us as we pay for its crimes. It cares not a jot for the lives it has ruined.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,991 ✭✭✭mathepac

Scortho wrote: »
    Right first of all I'm not a parent!
    But going from my parents experience they used it as a treat when we were really really good! But it might only have been once or twice a year! And they hated it too!
    While I loved McDonalds at the time, mainly because it was a treat, I'd much prefer to go to BOBOS or JoBurger nowadays!
    If you use it as a treat I'd say it'd be fine! But don't make it into a regular occurrence!
    You must have picked up the exclamation-pointitis in MaccyD's too. Most normal people end sentences with a full-stop. <-- see these little guys, very handy but not sold in MaccyD's.

Most normal people call McDonald's, McDonald's.

Checkmate, atheists would-be grammar nazi. :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,991 ✭✭✭mathepac

ninja900 wrote: »
    ... Checkmate, atheists would-be grammar nazi. :)
    Thankfully I didn't comment on anyone's grammar. Or some posters' cowardliness.

McD's is fine once in a while. Just watch how much you let your kids have. When I worked there I recall people buying Big Macs and such for kids as young as 4 or 5. Even only once in a while, that amount of junk is just too much for a child in one sitting. A Happy Meal and maybe a sundae is more than enough.
    I would also warn people against eating the salad: it's almost always in bad condition when it arrives and though they serve it the same day, it doesn't look great. You're better off just grabbing a burger or something; it won't kill you :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

I've just had to warn and infract several people in this thread for posting off topic and unhelpful posts. Please keep this discussion on topic and giving advice!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭Davidth88

OP , We have a 6YO ( and a 1 YO who isn't relevant for this thread YET )

We eat in McD about 4-5 times a year .

Useful if you are out , and you want to feed your little one , quick / clean ( usually ) etc .

It's no worse IMO than any other fast food ( chippy or whatever )

It is wrong that they clearly market themselves to kids , but there you go

Our little one usually has the ' Happy Meal ' which consists of chicken nuggets , and small fries and water , then a 1 euro ice cream after

As long as they are not living on it I see no harm

Everything in moderation .

We rarely have takeaways ( she has never had a chipper meal / chinese etc ).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,206 ✭✭✭✭amiable

Ayla wrote: »
    Yes, I know the burger/nuggets have all sorts in it, and the chips are loaded with grease & sodium, but they are anywhere you go. KFC/BK/any chipper will be at least as bad.
    What do you think are in the Burgers and Nuggets?

As others have already said OP in moderation it's fine.
    Agreed I wouldn't make it a weekly thing but every couple of months is Ok in my honest opinion.

As has been said already just explain to your 4 year old that you can't go there all the time.

Advertisement