Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Water Dripping Through Ceiling

• 11-10-2012 2:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭

hey guys woke up this morning and went out to the conservatory/extension at the back of my house and notice the floor was wet. figured my mam had washed the floor but she had left hours ago and only one part of the floor was wet. noticed that there is water beading out of a fine crack in the ceiling above.

since its an extension there is no water pipes of an kind in there, there is a lil attic and up there seems bone dry. its a fairly wet day so i'm putting its down to rain. as far as i know this doesnt usually happen, extensions been there 10 years so somethings goin on. my dads the diy guy and he's away at the moment so i havent a clue what to do...

heres some pics...looks like the water is coming from the corner of the attic door but again the area above in the attic is bone dry. i figure i could use sealeant on the crack but i think that would just block/divert the water and cause more hassle...what do i need to do?!?!

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,050 ✭✭✭wait4me

gaza4 wrote: »
    heres some pics...looks like the water is coming from the corner of the attic door but again the area above in the attic is bone dry. i figure i could use sealeant on the crack but i think that would just block/divert the water and cause more hassle...what do i need to do?!?!

Your leak may not be directly above where you see the water - water travels to find an easy exit. Do not use sealant on the crack ; try to find where the water is coming in - which from your description could be at a joint between the extension and the house or perhaps a tile on the extension roof has shifted. Find the water entrance and deal with that. Let the ceiling dry out before tackling that.

If you want in the interim to ensure that the water drops in one place, get an awl and make a small exit hole in the ceiling

Somebody else may have other ideas....

wait4me wrote: »
    make a small exit hole in the ceiling....

Please note that I said "small" - your Dad may have different ideas!

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭gaza4

thanks for the advice, i have located a general area where the water may be coming from and it does indeed seem like a tile a shifted. i have placed a small basin in the attic to catch the water to save the plaster board ceiling any more damage...will have to wait till tomorrow to get on the roof and have a proper look...

I suggest you put a piece of timber across two joists in the ceiling and the basin on top of it. If you leave the basin on the ceiling/plaster board and it fills it will bring the ceiling down!

Advertisement