Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Laptop Screen Repair (Dublin)

• 11-10-2012 4:19pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,602 ✭✭✭

Hi all.

I am looking for a little advice if anyone can help me.

My daughter has a Toshiba Satellite C655/C655d. Recently she cracked the screen in the bottom right. From side to bottom.
    I am wondering is anyone can recommend a good place to get it repaired?
    Some place that will do it at a competitive price?
    I have a few quotes already but they seem too much for a replacement screen on low range laptop.
    Can anyone recommend?
    I am in the Dublin area.
    many thanks,
    F. Field.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,930 ✭✭✭duckysauce

Funkfield wrote: »
    Hi all.

I am looking for a little advice if anyone can help me.

My daughter has a Toshiba Satellite C655/C655d. Recently she cracked the screen in the bottom right. From side to bottom.
    I am wondering is anyone can recommend a good place to get it repaired?
    Some place that will do it at a competitive price?
    I have a few quotes already but they seem too much for a replacement screen on low range laptop.
    Can anyone recommend?
    I am in the Dublin area.
    many thanks,
    F. Field.

how much did you get quoted ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,602 ✭✭✭Funkfield

duckysauce wrote: »
    how much did you get quoted ?

I was hoping someone might venture a quote before I was asked that. I got quoted between €120 and €150.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,905 ✭✭✭yosser hughes

I was hoping someone might venture a quote before I was asked that. I got quoted between €120 and €150.

That seems very expensive. I have a netbook I need looked at and if that is the cost of repair, it wouldn't be worth my while.
    So, I am also looking for laptop repair shop recommendations. Or is it the case that it's going to be expensive no matter what?

That seems very expensive. I have a netbook I need looked at and if that is the cost of repair, it wouldn't be worth my while.
    So, I am also looking for laptop repair shop recommendations. Or is it the case that it's going to be expensive no matter what?

Yeah, I was wondering if it was worth my while seeing as the laptop is at the very low end of the spectrum.
    Is there anyone who has had a screen repaired or can repair screens and can give a better quote?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,521 ✭✭✭Joseph

120-150 is reasonable. I'd except 100-120 for a small screen and 150 for a 15"~ screen

I repair laptops frequently.

• Advertisement

120 is not too bad you can buy the screen off for 50-60 euros and try fitting it yourself , or pay someone to do it .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 50 ✭✭ballinue

I repair Laptops in the midlands and a new screen can cost between €120 and €150 depending on size of screen you would be better off trying to get a used screen and you can buy them on "adverts .ie" part of this site from about €40 again depending on size, it is not a major job to fit a screen if you are reasonably handy all you will need is a small philips screwdriver and something soft like a guitar plectrum to ease off the bezel surround when you have the screws removed,
    remember some of the screws will be hidden under little rubber pads they are just stuck on over the screw heads and all you have to do is just prise them off to expose the screwhead.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 811 ✭✭✭Tango One

I found Maxburns(www.maxburns.ie) very reasonable think it was about €120 for a 15" screen if memory serves me right

Tango One wrote: »
    I found Maxburns(www.maxburns.ie) very reasonable think it was about €120 for a 15" screen if memory serves me right

crazy money

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,381 ✭✭✭✭Allyall

Normal quote is around €90 - €115 for that screen.
    The Screen itself can be bought individually for €45. Replacing the screen is less then 10 minutes work.

You could do it yourself with little or no knowledge of repair.

It's 6 clips, 8 screws.

• Advertisement

120 is not too bad you can buy the screen off for 50-60 euros and try fitting it yourself , or pay someone to do it .
    crazy money

Just curious how come 120 wasn't bad but all of a sudden its crazy money?. Yes you can order the screen only for half that, but what if you order the wrong screen or the screen wasn't the issue. Had it been my own laptop I probably would of had a go at changing it but it was a friends so didn't want the hassle.

Just curious how come 120 wasn't bad but all of a sudden its crazy money?. Yes you can order the screen only for half that but what if you order the wrong or the screen wasn't the issue. Had it been my own laptop I probably would of had a go at changing it but it was a friends so didn't want the hassle.

maybe read posts, before posting, I said buy it for 60 and fit yourself , rather than 120 from burn your hole, for just the poxy screen

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 504 ✭✭✭Loveless

I work in IT and have replaced screens on Toshibas, once you've done one they're easy enough.
    Like the guys said you can usually get a replacement screen itself for around €60. That's actually the most difficult part I find,
    sourcing the -exact- type of screen you want, whether it's LCD/LED, screen resolution, has a webcam connection or not, glossy/matt surface, etc.

Looks like you may need a 15.6" LED WXGA HD Glossy, 1366X768
    http://screensurgeons.mybigcommerce.com/products/Toshiba-Satellite-C655-C655D-C650-Laptop-LCD-Screen.html

the official Toshiba Repair Centre is BMS over near the Walkinstown Roundabout if that's any help to you. www.bms.ie

maybe read posts, before posting, I said buy it for 60 and fit yourself , rather than 120 from burn your hole, for just the poxy screen
    Maybe it wasn't clear or you misunderstood my post it was 120 fitted

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,381 ✭✭✭✭Allyall

Screen can be bought for €45 if you look around, you can probably get one for less.
    Just a quick glance on ebay brings one up in the UK for €50 with free postage. LINK

Connection type - 40pins; Bottom Left

Scroll further down that page, and instructions how to install it are on the bottom of the page.

I honestly wouldn't worry about messing it up. The hardest part is removing the clips around the bezel, it may feel like you are going to break something the first time you do it. That is held on with screws also.
    YOUTUBE is also very good to check before you try.

Thanks everyone for all the advice. I had a look online at what was entailed and it seemed like an easy enough job. Lots of good help on Youtube, thanks.
    I took out the original screen (the screen is the issue, there is a visible crack in it), got the part number off the back and searched it on Ebay.
    New screen on the way for €50.
    Should be an easy install.
    Thanks again.

Maybe it wasn't clear or you misunderstood my post it was 120 fitted

misunderstood your post thought you mean 120 for just the screen :o

Advertisement