Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Smoking hash/ marajuana every night for 20 years!

• 11-10-2012 4:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 264 ✭✭

A Friend of mine smokes pot/ marijuana/ hash

I don’t have a problem with this and I don’t mind the odd puff myself

However, he smokes EVERY night. Has done so for 20 years

My thoughts on it are that it’s bad for him. Whatever about smoking tobacco dangers, (I smoke the odd fag so my question is NOT about tobacco) I think he doesn’t give his body a proper rest as he is stoned every night ( A doctor told me once that if you are smoking pot or drinking alcohol before you go to sleep, you don’t sleep properly, you are not giving your body enough rest etc.)

I have been telling him lately that he is not 21 anymore and should calm down on it a bit. Maybe not smoke absolutely EVERY night , maybe just 2 or 3 days a week

What y’all think?

Is he doing himself damage?

Last point; PLEASE do not go down the alcohol vs marijuana route

I know alcohol is more dangerous, kills people, pot is great, prohibition, alcohol violence, Bill Hicks youtube clip, yada yada yada, bladey, blah

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 688 ✭✭✭maxfresh

have a few friends like this meself cant be good for the oul brain can it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,952 ✭✭✭Conall Cernach

Wouldn't it be very expensive to smoke dope every day?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,476 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

Anything that you burn and inhale will have bad effects.

My advice? Get a vaporiser.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,496 ✭✭✭Boombastic

I think you should mind your own business

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭General General

Not good for ya.. is it not? F.u.c.k.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,351 ✭✭✭NegativeCreep

I have to wait a week or so in between joints or I can feel myself getting dumber. Occasionally I'll go on a three day binge but I rarely do that. He's probably seriously slow and paranoid by now. Too much of a good thing is not always a good thing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

Its psychologically addictive

• Registered Users Posts: 1,663 ✭✭✭Immaculate Pasta

My thoughts on it are that it’s bad for him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,943 ✭✭✭Burning Eclipse

Boombastic wrote: »
    I think you should mind your own business

Because he's worried that a mate of his is doing something that probably isn't great for him? I think that's a little harsh.

Because he's worried that a mate of his is doing something that probably isn't great for him? I think that's a little harsh.
    No it's not to harsh OP smokes cigarettes

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 988 ✭✭✭Prefect_1998

:rolleyes:
    Its psychologically addictive

• Registered Users Posts: 912 ✭✭✭chakotha

He's repressing his brain man.

No, seriously. He is.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,135 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

20 years and smoking every day eh?

He must have a pretty good job to accommodate that. What does he work at?

20 years and smoking every day eh?

He must have a pretty good job to accommodate that. What does he work at?

A dealer:pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

At least it's not addictive.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,476 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

Maybe he suffers from a chronic mental or physical condition and it's his only relief?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,562 ✭✭✭✭Sunnyisland

It cant be good for you to be in a state of relaxed chilled out mood every night, Its not reality.

He could afford it if he grows his own ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,190 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

I have to admit i'm in the exact same boat...probably closer to 18 years though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,362 ✭✭✭Sergeant

What a depressing lifestyle.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,113 ✭✭✭Lumbo

Sergeant wrote: »
    What a depressing lifestyle.

Apart from it being illegal, is it any different from having a glass of wine with your dinner every night?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 264 ✭✭mariano rivera

He has a good job

Runs his own business. Intelligent chap. Well liked.

Smokes 2 joints a night (After work) during the week and about 5 on a Saturday and 5 on Sunday

He has a good job

Smokes 2 joints a night (After work) during the week and about 5 on a Saturday and 5 on Sunday

What's the issue? You don't approve? he's a successful functioning member of society. Isn't it lucky he has a mate like you to keep tabs on him and nag him in to doing what suits you:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,591 ✭✭✭blue note

Thinly veiled "I have a really cool friend" thread.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,190 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

Lumbo wrote: »
    Apart from it being illegal, is it any different from having a glass of wine with your dinner every night?
    in general yes, but not in this case. When it becomes part of you problems arise.

• Registered Users Posts: 264 ✭✭mariano rivera

Boombastic wrote: »
    What's the issue? You don't approve? he's a successful functioning member of society. Isn't it lucky he has a mate like you to keep tabs on him and nag him in to doing what suits you:rolleyes:

I think you should read my OP

I don't have a problem with people smoking pot

I am his FRIEND

I am just concerned he is doing damage to himself

I thought that's whats friends do

no?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,700 ✭✭✭tricky D

Every night in 20 years! That's some super reliable dealer he has there!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 469 ✭✭geetar

He has a good job

well then whats your problem?

he seems old enough to be making his own choices. smoking after a hard days work is his choice, and it sounds pretty pleasant to me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,064 ✭✭✭Gurgle

he smokes EVERY night. Has done so for 20 years
    I know a number of people who would fit that description, and they differ wildly in their lives otherwise.

What else does he do? Hobbies? Exercise? Activities? Work? Parenting?

If he never does anything else then its obviously pretty bad, whether the chicken or egg came first is a whole 'nother discussion.

If he's up at 6am to get a 10 mile run in before work, commutes to a 9 to 5, gets home at 6pm and spends the next 2 hours helping kids with homework, ferrying them to after-school activities and putting the small ones to bed then goes ballroom dancing with the Mrs and only then settles down for a J or two, then I can think of a few tee-totallers who could take a leaf out of his book.

Most (of course) are somewhere in the middle.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,135 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

I don't see the problem. He runs his own business (assume its not drug dealing ofc), he's doing well. Smoking the stuff every night for 20 years is his own choice, deal with it.

I personally don't see the difference between that and... smoking 20 fags a day for 20 years? Hell 1 or 2 fags a night even. Or drinking wine before bed?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭ElleEm

I've smoked pot most nights for about ten years now. I don't believe it has done me any damage. I put myself through college, got a good job, etc.! It just chills me out in the evenings, and doesn't affect my days.

OP, it sounds like it doesn't negatively effect your mate, so leave it to him!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 786 ✭✭✭Kurz

I love when people still call it hash like it's 1987.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,673 ✭✭✭AllGunsBlazing

I'd imagine the potential for damage from smoking that much gear depends from person to person?

Can't be anymore harmful than chain smoking or binge drinking - both of which are perfectly legal but come with the potential for serious physical and mental damage in their own right.

I think you should read my OP

I don't have a problem with people smoking pot

I am his FRIEND

I am just concerned he is doing damage to himself

I thought that's whats friends do

no?

His friend and self appointed keeper, it seems

How does it directly affect you?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,754 ✭✭✭Odysseus

Your mate is addicted, but the question is how much of a negative impact is it having on his quality of life? Is it just a joint a night? What is life like for him if he has none? Is he just functioning or is he living his life? The list goes on but unless it is causing a problem in his life I don't see a problem.

People can live with addictions, once it is not overtaking his life where is the problem?

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭DonLimon

Kurz wrote: »

I love it when people call it reefer like its the 30s

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 655 ✭✭✭splendid101

I have to admit i'm in the exact same boat...probably closer to 18 years though.

I'm closer to 18 years than 20 as well. Been smoking every day for the last week.

I don't understand all the people criticising the original query. The fella is only asking.

The answer is that smoking everyday is definitely going to damage the noggin and the lungs.

However, asas he sounds like an upstanding member society, maybe he'd never have gotten there if he hadn't schmoked it up in the first place.

I'd say it would be a good idea for him to cut back a little.

I say that as someone who passionately loves smoking weed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,648 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

I smoked daily for twenty-odd years. I stopped about 8 years ago, haven't touched it since.

No lasting damage except the following:

1. http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dupuytren's_contracture#section_9
    2. Seriously bad gum disease. I will have to spend a serious amount of money to fix the damage to my teeth/gums.
    3. I was diagnosed with arthritis at 40 (about 10 years younger than normal)
    4. When I was smoking I was coughing blood on a regular basis.

The consultant who diagnosed no. 1 above said that is one of the reasons why they will never legalise cannabis.

Would I let my kids smoke it? Debatable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,521 ✭✭✭✭dsmythy

Fair enough. I can enjoy my evenings without the need to use a substance to be "chilled". But if he's living a good life then may as well leave him be.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

Wouldn't it be very expensive to smoke dope every day?

most people who do that grow their own

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,773 ✭✭✭madma

he cant be as bad as the guy who did E every day for 9 years 40,000 or whatever way it worked out. worked out out an average of 25 a day he couldnt remember his name or anything

http://www.guardian.co.uk/society/2006/apr/04/drugsandalcohol.drugs1

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,910 ✭✭✭OneArt

I don't really understand why weed is so popular. I mean it's nice and all and I'll have a joint now and then, but overall it's a really boring drug.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

I smoked daily for twenty-odd years. I stopped about 8 years ago, haven't touched it since.

... ...
    The consultant who diagnosed no. 1 above said that is one of the reasons why they will never legalise cannabis.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dupuytren%27s_contracture
    Wikipedia wrote:
    It is an inherited proliferative connective tissue disorder

How exactly does cannabis give you an inherited condition?

I've been smoking dope for years and I don't believe that it's impacted negatively on my life; I'm a good worker, I have friends and hobbies, I exercise. I enjoy my life.

Maybe I'd be richer if I didn't smoke, but I probably spend less on weed in a month than a lot of people do on booze.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 783 ✭✭✭HerrScheisse

If he is still alive after 20 years, it cannot have done him much harm.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭latenia

Kurz wrote: »

What other names are there for hash? Resin?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,648 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

kylith wrote: »

... ...

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dupuytren%27s_contracture
    Wikipedia wrote:
    It is an inherited proliferative connective tissue disorder

How exactly does cannabis give you an inherited condition?

I've been smoking dope for years and I don't believe that it's impacted negatively on my life; I'm a good worker, I have friends and hobbies, I exercise. I enjoy my life.

Maybe I'd be richer if I didn't smoke, but I probably spend less on weed in a month than a lot of people do on booze.

I'm not the consultant, I don't know!

When he looked at my hand he asked if I'd ever worked as a builder, using a pneumatic drill. When I said no, he asked if I smoked dope.

No one else in the family has had it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭UCDVet

How is this possible? Isn't that illegal?

Hypothetically speaking - where could someone get their hands on illegal drugs? Not because I want any; but because I want to keep my kids away from such places.

Seriously....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,754 ✭✭✭Odysseus

When he looked at my hand he asked if I'd ever worked as a builder, using a pneumatic drill. When I said no, he asked if I smoked dope.

I couldn't even put a number on the amount of heavy cannibas users I have worked with never seem/heard of it:rolleyes: Utter bollocks. Unless it's caused by excessive skinning up:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

Maybe it skipped a generation or two.

I've never heard of it as a possible side effect of smoking cannabis.
    This site reckon's cannabis is a treatment for it though. I can't find anything online that appears to link the two, maybe it was just your consultant's way of telling you to cut back a bit :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 783 ✭✭✭HerrScheisse

I'll sell you some Oxo cubes. You could use them for educational purposes.
    UCDVet wrote: »
    How is this possible? Isn't that illegal?

Hypothetically speaking - where could someone get their hands on illegal drugs? Not because I want any; but because I want to keep my kids away from such places.

Seriously....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,479 ✭✭✭✭philologos

I know alcohol is more dangerous, kills people, pot is great, prohibition, alcohol violence, Bill Hicks youtube clip, yada yada yada, bladey, blah

Is it really?

• Advertisement
Advertisement