Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Matted Hair

• 11-10-2012 5:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 983 ✭✭✭

Just a quick question. My 15 month old Springer has some matted hair on his ears. The hair there is pretty long on and around his ears. It's getting more matted by the day. I'm just wondering is it ok to just cut it off or should he be brought to the groomers? Thanks

(I do try to brush his ears every day or two, but he really doesn't like it so it can be hard do to properly every time)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭SillyMangoX

If he will sit still for you you ssb cut it yourself but if hes very wriggly which I presume he is if he doesnt like it being brushed, you might want to leave it to the professionals!

• Registered Users Posts: 983 ✭✭✭CiaranK

Thanks for the reply. I'll see if he sits still after his walk tomorrow. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,411 ✭✭✭ABajaninCork

What kind of brush are you using? A slicker brush should take out the knots, and there should be no need to cut it, unless it's really bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 983 ✭✭✭CiaranK

I have a brush that can be used for dogs with two layers of hair like a springer. I'm not sure what the brand is. I also have a furminator but it says that it's only for the longer body hair

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

A groomer can give him a neater cut and tidy his hair up so that he should look neater for longer. But if you don't mind and he'll be still for you, you can just chop them off..get a good sharp nail scissors or something, blunt ones make the job a nightmare. Brushing it out works too, I lost patience with our Papillon so half of him was brushed out and the other half I cut so he's very untidy atm but he's not a show dog. He got matted after hubby washed him and didn't brush him before hand :rolleyes: it'll grow back he's not too bad.

Hardest thing is trying to seperate the hair from the skin before you cut and be careful if he goes to shake his head of move suddenly.

• Advertisement
Advertisement