Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Token meters for Electric Ireland

Options
  • 11-10-2012 5:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 21

Can anyone please help me? I will summarise the situation. Had token meter installed in April 2010 due to large arrears. Cleared arrears @€;10 per week. Now am receiving bills where arrears are getting higher and higher. Cant understand it as i pay into meter or my electricity runs out. Have been on to EI lots of times and all i get from them is condescending attitude and no answers.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭EI: Una

Hi Emffb1,

Private message me your details and I will have a look at your account to see what the situation is. What I require is: your Electric Ireland account number, your name and address in full as they appear on the account, and either the contact telephone number on your account or your date of birth.

I am finished up now but will be back from 8am tomorrow.

All the best,
    Una

• Registered Users Posts: 2 epicage38

just join up for both electric/gas, pay by d/debit. I want to know is it one bill for both.

greeneyes

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭EI: Una

Hello Epicage38

No, there is a separate bill for each fuel - not necessarily issued at the same time. This is because of the meters being read by different companies (electricity - ESB Networks; gas - Bord Gáis Networks).

Regards,
    Una

• Registered Users Posts: 2 epicage38

thanks Una

greeneyes

• Registered Users Posts: 1 calvepen

Hi I have a problem like this as well. I was given a token meter in May 2006 and was made to believe that my arrears would paid using a percentage tokens. I've has the meter for over 6 years now and rather than paying my arrears off they have gotten bigger. I have rang numerous times about it and have found no help yet. I am putting at least €70 a week into the meter which I really can't afford. I have no electric heating and no immersion in my house and can't understand how I'm using so much electricity.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21 emffb1

Join the club calvepen. I can not get a straight answer from anyone. None of my bills add up to my payments and apparently there is no way of getting separate paperwork to show separate arrears payments. If i ever get any useful answers i will let you know.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,457 ✭✭✭Electric Ireland: David

Hi calvepen,

The token meter ensures that dealing with existing debt is as manageable as possible; it doesn't, however, change the way the normal billing cycle works (bills still issue showing what you've used, and how much you've paid in the same period), nor can it prevent further arrears from accumulating.

Usage is determined by your main meter, so if you are paying approx. €70 in tokens p/w and arrears are still building up, this would mean your usage exceeds what €70 p/w can cover.

If this is the case, and you are making payments to the value of approx. €560 every two months (€70 x 8 weeks), I would urge you to work out what your average daily electrical consumption amounts to. I can do this for you if you PM me your account details (though I would be limited to calculating your past average usage) or you could do this yourself by taking a reading at the same time each day over a number of consecutive days.

We have a Reduce Your Costs section on our website (which includes our useful Appliance Calculator) and an Energy Saving Wizard, an online tool which recommends energy saving measures based on the answers you provide.

Hope this helps. If you need further help please feel free to contact us by private message (see link in signature).

Thanks,

David.

emffb1 wrote: »
    None of my bills add up to my payments and apparently there is no way of getting separate paperwork to show separate arrears payments.

Hi emffb1,

Your bimonthly invoices will show the full amount paid in the previous billing period (e.g. if you paid €20 per week, it should show an amount of €160). If this amount is less than the total of the previous bill, then arrears will result. We can also send customers a screenshot of their account credits/debits, which itemize individual payments.
    emffb1 wrote:
    Now am receiving bills where arrears are getting higher and higher. Cant understand it as i pay into meter or my electricity runs out.

Remember that actual usage is determined not by the token meter, but by the main ESB meter. As above, I would advise you to work out (so as to have a fairly reliable idea) what your average daily usage comes to. For example, if it turns out that your average usage is 15 units per day, then you know that you need to be making payments adding up to at least €23* p/w to cover this base amount (as, essentially, it is only once this usage is covered that you will make a dent at your arrears. Otherwise it is still possible to accumulate further arrears).

If you have any further questions we'll do our best to help.

Thanks,

David.

* Calculated taking the current standard day unit rate of €0.1928 and daily standing charge (urban, 24hr) of €0.3446. Figures incl. VAT of 13.5%.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 Spice Burger

Good Afternoon Una/David,

I currently have a token meter installed at my dwelling.I am inquiring about getting this meter removed & switching to a Pay as you go meter.

Can i kindly ask what is involved to make this switch over please.

Thank you.

Hi Spice Burger,

Unfortunately we cannot replace token meters with PAYG meters, as they serve the same function, i.e. they both help manage and reduce a customer's arrears. The limited availability of PAYG meters is also a factor. See here for further information on conditions of eligibility (as determined by the CER).

If you are no longer in arrears we can have the token meter removed. Please feel free to PM us your account details if you would like us to arrange this for you.

Thanks,

David.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11 Spice Burger

Hi David,

PM Sent.

Thank you very much for your assistance.

Spice Burger.

Advertisement