Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Spoiling votes

• 11-10-2012 5:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭

Hi

A friend said that in our Constitution it says that we have a right to spoil our vote. I am wondering where does it say that in the constitution as I can't find it anywhere or is he lying?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

It doesn't. Whether a voter should or shouldn't have the right to express dissatisfaction with the available options is another issue entirely, of course, but the constitution of Ireland doesn't say anything about it. Your friend could be lying or he could be mistaken but, either way, he's wrong.

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,820 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

I'm guessing it's the standard confusion between having a right to do something, and it not being illegal to do it. I have a right to vote, which means it can't be made illegal for me to vote. I don't have a right to spoil my vote, and it's arguable that a law (which would, of course, be unenforceable) could be introduced making it illegal to do so.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,948 ✭✭✭gizmo555

Article 12.2.3 says that voting "shall be by secret ballot", which perhaps the OP's friend is interpreting as implying the right to spoil your vote. That would be reasonable enough, at least with paper-based voting, since it means no-one has the right to inspect your ballot paper before you cast your vote.

The late and unlamented e-voting system, however, was designed so that you couldn't spoil your vote. The nearest thing to it in e-voting would have been if you didn't press the "cast vote" button, which would be like leaving your ballot paper blank. However, the polling station official would have to deactivate the machine if you did this and would know you hadn't voted.

Would this have been a contravention of the constitutional requirement that voting be done secretly?

Advertisement