Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Eureka college Kells

• 11-10-2012 6:02pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,859 ✭✭✭

I'm looking into secondary schools for my lady.. I'm just wondering does anyone have any experience on the Eureka in Kells? I'm so undecided to send her to an all girls or mixed!

All along I had an all girls in my head, and now I just don't know.. A lot of kids from her class are going to the local mixed and she wants to go too.. Eeeek

If anyone had any experience on the above school or can offer any thoughts on same sex V mixed schools I'd really appreciate it..

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭SandyRamp

Hi OP I attended Eureka, and I can't fault it, although I understand it has changed a good bit since my time there. I think there is more focus on the traditional academic subjects rather than the more practical ones compared to the other mixed schools in the area.

There is (/was when I was there anyway! Early 00's) a much higher percentage of students who sit the traditional Leaving Cert rather than the LCAP or LCVP, and the results are usually a good bit above the average for the other schools in the area, which is reflected in the numbers going on to 3rd level.

Regarding discipline, they seemed to be much stricter than the mixed school my brothers attended (which I don't see as a bad thing). It's reputation in general seems to be pretty good, there were girls in my class who came from Cavan, Westmeath etc. based on it.

I don't know how much it has changed in the last 10 or so years, but I have yet to hear anything bad about it. My little girl is only 5, but it will be my first choice for her too when the time comes!

Any more questions I will be glad to answer, on here or via PM. Good luck deciding! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭Penny Dreadful

Two of my cousins went there OP (now aged 35 and 38) and did very well for themselves.

I went to a co - ed school in a totally different area and loved it. Myself and my brother and one sister went to this school while my other two sisters went to an all girls school.
    My parents gave us all a choice of either one or the other and the two girls picked the all girls school for a different choice in subjects, not being compared to other siblings (oldest and youngest so lots of time between them) and the youngest was too intimidated by boys then to go to school with them!.
    All 5 of us did equally well. It is about the school suiting the child, the reputation of the school, what you are looking for and the child feeling involved in the choice I would think.
    How does your daughter feel about where she could go to secondary school?

I went to Eureka between from 1992 to 1998 and I cant recommend it highly enough. I know things may have changed over the years but i still hear positive things about it. I wish i could have sent my 13 year old son there!!!!

Advertisement