Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help needed regarding setting up broadband.

Options
  • 11-10-2012 6:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1

Hey guys,
    I thought i'd just tell you guys my situation roughly and perhaps there is someone who knows what the best way to deal with it will be.

I just moved into a house with some roommates and we're interested in getting Eircom broadband. The problem is, like many of the houses in the town we don't have an existing landline, we're not paying for one, but do have a phone. Because of this we can't call 199000 and see if we're connected/able to get internet where we are.

Is there a way around this? Or will we have to first pay for a landline and then buy a phone/internet package? The second option seems like a huge amount of hassle and we'd rather just get the internet/phone straight away without taking this step.

If my explanation is too brief, or you'd like me to try explain it a little more clearly, please ask.

Thanks in Advance,
    Floyo

edit: Thomastown is the location, the place I'm working at has Eircom but they most likely had an already existing landline.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,011 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

In your situation I would be looking at an alternative to Eircom if possible.

Yes you have to have a landline to get their broadband.
    No, you will not know exactly what speed broadband will be available ..... you can try to estimate based on neighbours connections etc.

BUT ..... someone will have to enter into a contract with Eircom ...... they will have sole responsibility for the contract ..... even if all others depart from the accommodation the contract still stands .... it will cost to cancel such a contract before it times out, if that becomes necessary ....

BTW ..... it costs more for a broadband ONLY package than it does for a phone & broadband package from Eircom.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 171 ✭✭eircom: Linda

Floyo wrote: »
    Hey guys,
    I thought i'd just tell you guys my situation roughly and perhaps there is someone who knows what the best way to deal with it will be.

I just moved into a house with some roommates and we're interested in getting Eircom broadband. The problem is, like many of the houses in the town we don't have an existing landline, we're not paying for one, but do have a phone. Because of this we can't call 199000 and see if we're connected/able to get internet where we are.

Is there a way around this? Or will we have to first pay for a landline and then buy a phone/internet package? The second option seems like a huge amount of hassle and we'd rather just get the internet/phone straight away without taking this step.

If my explanation is too brief, or you'd like me to try explain it a little more clearly, please ask.

Thanks in Advance,
    Floyo

edit: Thomastown is the location, the place I'm working at has Eircom but they most likely had an already existing landline.

Hi Floyo

Can you PM me your address and if possible the name of the previous tenant and I will check it out for broadband. All installations are free at the moment due to a current promotion. It can take between 24-48 working hours or 10 working days depending on the type of installation that required at your address. Once I have your address I will explain the process in more detail.

Regards
    Linda.

Advertisement