Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UK Freeview in the City

Options
  • 11-10-2012 6:18pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭

Anyone managed to get a signal from south Wales?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 587 ✭✭✭Dum_Dum

Is there a significant advantage over FreeSAT?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Nope, just curious really. Though Freeview and Freesat do have some differences (Syfy on view but not on sat, Horror channel on sat but not on view, etc)

I have enough trouble picking up Saorview from Mount Leinster; so a transmitter in Wales may as well be in outer space.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,997 ✭✭✭Adyx

Dum_Dum wrote: »
    I have enough trouble picking up Saorview from Mount Leinster; so a transmitter in Wales may as well be in outer space.
    Really? I have one of those crappy €10 USB tuners for my PC and it works pretty well. The aerial is about 6".

Actually there's a transmitter at Gallows Hill (wherever that is) which is supposed to be the optimal transmitter for Waterford City. Don't take my word for it though, I know very little about it except that it works.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,704 ✭✭✭Doylers

Dum_Dum wrote: »

To cool for the saorview transmitter in town??

• Advertisement

Doylers wrote: »
    To cool for the saorview transmitter in town??

I just used this:
    http://coverage.rtenl.ie/RTENLcoveragechecker.php

But you're right; I'm just cool anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭jmcc

mike65 wrote: »
    Anyone managed to get a signal from south Wales?
    Some of the higher areas in Waterford used to be able to receive the Presceli transmitter in Wales. A quick search gave this site with the specs:
    http://www.ukfree.tv/shutdowndetail.php?tx=SN172306

It might need an amplifier and an external antenna though.

Regards...jmcc

Advertisement