Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Has politics become fashionable

• 11-10-2012 6:53pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,672 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

I have come across a few people lately who told me their children are thinking of doing a masteries in political communication with the intention of becoming spin doctors, so is becoming a spin doctor the in thing at the moment.

Its funny how certain careers become fashionable, one year its Architecture the next its journalism and so on

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

Probably because of Parks and Rec.

That's the most likely explanation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭Chuck Stone

Public relations is a sanitized way of saying 'propaganda'.

One of the pioneers in the field of PR/Propaganda is a guy called E.L. Bernays who said "Propaganda is the consistent, enduring effort to create or shape events to influence the relations of the public to an enterprise, idea or group."

Just saying like.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,547 ✭✭✭Agricola

mariaalice wrote: »

Its funny how certain careers become fashionable, one year its Architecture the next its journalism and so on

Its called following the money

• Site Banned Posts: 4 Paddy on the Road

becoming spin doctors, so is becoming a spin doctor the in thing at the moment.

I have come across a few people lately who told me their children are thinking of doing a masteries in political communication with the intention of becoming spin doctors, so is becoming a spin doctor the in thing at the moment.

Knowing people in the field myself, they would want to have connections before even contemplating this career path.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 21,191 ✭✭✭✭Latchy

I was listening to RTE 1 radio the other morning ( think it was Pat Kenny show) and he was getting the views of some American woman reporter about the presidential candidates there and she said quote '' a lot of Americans are worried about how out of touch they both are to the reality's of how people live and exist '' and I thought to myself , well nothings changed there.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,062 ✭✭✭walrusgumble

Some people must have been watching The Thick of it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,374 ✭✭✭InReality

Need a lot more than any qualification to be a spin doctor. Very few of them in ireland anyhow - esp ones who actually get paid for it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,572 ✭✭✭✭brummytom

I'm currently studying Politics at Uni. My lectures are full of the usual weirdos/knobs/smartarses you'd expect.

It definitely hasn't become fashionable.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 373 ✭✭Internet Hero

thinly veiled :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭evolving_doors

YA defo, what society really needs is more terry prones... optics me arse

anyone remember the dying days of the fianna fail govt. Brian cowen and other Fianna Fail saying that they had a lot of work to do around communication issues. (While the country was going down the toilet). I think people have enough of spin in this country.

Anyone see the irony of this thread..

bullsh1t hype about courses in bullsh1t hype

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,062 ✭✭✭walrusgumble

I wonder was it the child's opinion or one suggested by the parent?

Advertisement