Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Are dogs on heat at the moment?

• 11-10-2012 6:59pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 8,635 ✭✭✭

I just rescued one of the little Jack Russells I mentioned earlier, from my front garden a little while ago. I was sitting in the living room with my cats when I heard screeching. The poor little dog was hiding behind a big plant pot we have and there were 4 dogs outside the wall barking. He has raw red marks on his body. I couldn't keep him in my back garden or take him home as his family seem very rough and I'd be afraid I'd get beaten up if I'm honest.

I kept him with me until the other dogs had gone and then he went off towards home. I've emailed the dog warden and I'm so fecked off that there's nothing else I can do. I've noticed over the past few days that there's a group of dogs that seem to be in a pack so I just wondered if they're on heat.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭cruais

A female dog goes into heat once or twice a year. They must be kept in doors and safe from male dogs, as male dogs can smell the female dogs from a good distance and will then try to mate.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭Dunny

do male dogs go into heat?!

If it's a female you will know.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

No, males do not go into heat...

Females go into heat twice a year, usually every 6 months.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,770 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

Is OP not asking is it "heat season" at the moment for dogs, no?

OP, dogs don't have a mating season, in the way cats do. They can come into heat any old time of the year: this lack of seasonal timing is no doubt a consequence of domestication. As already stated, most female dogs come into heat every 6 months, some come in less regularly, some more.
    I think this is what you were asking.. is it? :o

andreac wrote: »
    No, males do not go into heat...

Females go into heat twice a year, usually every 6 months.

What about the first 6 months?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,357 ✭✭✭gregers85

Dunny wrote: »
    What about the first 6 months?

Male dogs do not come into "Heat"!! when some one refers to a dog being in heat or being in "Season" they are referring to females only! it is a time when the female is ovulating and most fertile for breeding. it usually happens twice a year usually every 6 months! Every dog is different and will come into "Heat" or "Season" at different times of the year!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,635 ✭✭✭Pumpkinseeds

Thanks for the replies. I noticed that the male dogs seem to be in a pack and there were 4 chasing off the smallest male dog, the one that was in my garden. I was wondering if it was because there was a female on heat or if there is something else behind it. I'm concerned about the biggest of the dogs. He used to be a very playful chap whose owner would play with him. For at least a year he seems to be let out at about 8am and be roaming until late evening,I've seen him all over the town. I think his personality has really changed. He seems withdrawn and is being very aggressive with other dogs now.

He's a big dog and he could do a lot of damage. I just felt powerless with the little dog. The instinct is to take the dog in, however my cat has chased him down the street a few times when he's put his head in our gate. Also as I said the family the little dog comes from are rough. They're skanger, pajama in the street types, more likely to eat the head off me if I brought the dog home than to thank me for helping it.

gregers85 wrote: »
    Male dogs do not come into "Heat"!! when some one refers to a dog being in heat or being in "Season" they are referring to females only! it is a time when the female is ovulating and most fertile for breeding. it usually happens twice a year usually every 6 months! Every dog is different and will come into "Heat" or "Season" at different times of the year!

Im talking about a female ffs!

Im talking about a female ffs!

A bitch comes into season from 6 months onwards, anytime from then on. They can come in anytime from then, theres no set time. SOme come in at 6 months, some ten, some twelve, etc etc.
    So for the first 6 months of their lives, theres nothing happening there...

Thanks

• Advertisement

do male dogs go into heat?!

If it's a female you will know.

Obviously talking about males earlier tho?? ;)

You quote it now tho??

I also asked because the OP said it's a male (him)

You quote it now tho??

I also asked because the OP said it's a male (him)

sorry my mistake quoted the wrong comment! obviously touched a nerve, dont worry im un-following the thread :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

gregers85 wrote: »
    Male dogs do not come into "Heat"!!
    If we were being honest, male dogs, like men, are permanently in heat ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,824 ✭✭✭Qualitymark

It sounds as if the Jack Russell you rescued is actually a Jill Russell, OP ;D and she's on heat, and the neighbourhood dogs are paying court to her.

If she's already got marks on her body, prepare for a puppy invasion, or a trip to the new clinic in Belfast.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,770 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

OP has already clarified that it's a male dog she has in her garden, but was wondering were other dogs forming packs and being aggressive because there's a bitch in heat in the area, not because her male dog is in heat, nor that she has mistaken him for a her.
    I don't think there is a suggestion that the OP, or anyone else, thinks that male dogs come into heat, unless I'm mistaken. So perhaps we can drop this line of argument now!

It is a male dog and it isn't mine. I was just concerned about its welfare and worried about the temperment of the bigger dog. Its such a shame, if the guy who owns the big dog would just stop letting him roam and took him for a proper walk every day there wouldn't be a problem. Of course the same could be said about all the dogs that are allowed to roam, but thats a whole other thread and I'm to weary to argue it.

I was reading about a dog that killed a dog that was on a leash and attacked 2 others in Clare last week. It was running wild and nobody did anything, I don't want to see the dog have to be pts if it can be sorted out practically. I only got home a little while ago and the little Jack russell is still out on the street. What the f@ck is up with people?

I would report these dogs to the dog warden as there shouldnt be any dogs allowed to roam.

andreac wrote: »
    I would report these dogs to the dog warden as there shouldnt be any dogs allowed to roam.
    I did that last night.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,158 ✭✭✭FoxyVixen

The other dogs in the "pack" led by the bigger animal, are they out roaming most of the time too?

Sounds like it's more of an issue that a bunch of dogs are running riot and aggravating smaller/weaker animals. Nothing to do with another bitch in heat but "pack behaviour" and the dogs are feeding off the others actions.

Could escalate into something more aggressive if the dogs aren't controlled.

What did the dog warden say to you?

• Advertisement

FoxyVixen wrote: »
    The other dogs in the "pack" led by the bigger animal, are they out roaming most of the time too?

Sounds like it's more of an issue that a bunch of dogs are running riot and aggravating smaller/weaker animals. Nothing to do with another bitch in heat but "pack behaviour" and the dogs are feeding off the others actions.

Could escalate into something more aggressive if the dogs aren't controlled.

What did the dog warden say to you?

I emailed him as it was after hours when it happened. I got an email today asking for my contact details, I sent an email back to make sure my details will be kept confidential before I supply them. I'm just trying to do whats best for all of the dogs and the the only way I can do that is by reporting it, the last thing I need is angry neighbours hurling abuse at me. The other dogs are roaming a lot of the time.

Advertisement