Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Wireless Connector for Sky Customers €12.99

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,960 ✭✭✭Soarer

You need to ring Sky to get them to activate it on your account too!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,653 ✭✭✭Ghandee

Soarer wrote: »
    You need to ring Sky to get them to activate it on your account too!

This.

Up and running now, but I had to resort to calling them up.
    Couldn't find any option to activate it online :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,473 ✭✭✭Adamcp898

Does ordering this require any change to you account or package? i.e. where's the hidden charges? :/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,948 ✭✭✭long_b

Adamcp898 wrote: »
    Does ordering this require any change to you account or package? i.e. where's the hidden charges? :/

Asked them on the phone and the agent said it wouldn't need a change to my package.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 895 ✭✭✭brav

Ghandee wrote: »
    This.

Up and running now, but I had to resort to calling them up.
    Couldn't find any option to activate it online :confused:

I think the link is http://www.sky.com/ireland/tv/on-demand but doesn't seem to work and calling them will probably be the resolution anyway

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,565 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

Would homeplugs not be a better set up?I know this is only €13 and homeplugs would be double the price but performance wise are homeplugs a better option.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,031 ✭✭✭nedd

I just called them to activate it on my account and they told me my viewing card needs to be updated. so they are going to send me a new card.

typical Sky, nothing is ever easy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,337 ✭✭✭lazeedaisy

:mad: Works fine but not available for sky sports!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,196 ✭✭✭quaalude

dooferoaks wrote: »
    Only thing I would be wary of is that if I order this thing, will Sky consider it a change of package? Even though I know its not.

Reason its an issue is that currently I pay 25 euro for Entertainment Extra package (afther the packs changed and merged) but if they consider this a change of package it will rise up to 33 euro a month as that is the price it should be. Sent an email but no reply as yet.

Did you get a reply on this, dooferoaks?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,352 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

yabadabado wrote: »
    Would homeplugs not be a better set up?I know this is only €13 and homeplugs would be double the price but performance wise are homeplugs a better option.

Nope. The speed won't matter much, much home plugs mean you need extra sockets and my home plugs are slightly temperamental at times.

• Registered Users Posts: 390 ✭✭Nanoc

Is this only for the hd boxes or do the old (white) ones work with this? Is there a way to get a free upgrade to the hd box without buying the hd sub does anyone know?

• Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭shannon82

Nanoc wrote: »
    Is this only for the hd boxes or do the old (white) ones work with this? Is there a way to get a free upgrade to the hd box without buying the hd sub does anyone know?

hi Sky quoted me 271 for a new box. think i seen a site u can get a new box for 100 tho

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,726 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

quaalude wrote: »

Small print says its a new 12month sub.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,726 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

Nanoc wrote: »

Yes if you don't have a Sky+HD box they will give one for free according to their website.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,739 ✭✭✭nava

jonny24ie wrote: »
    Small print says its a new 12month sub.

Is it that you enter on a 12 month sub when you get a new Box or when you activate ondemand or buy the Wireless Connector? Had a look at the Legal bit at the button of the Sky Packages and don't see anything about 12 month for the ondemand (it's there when you get a new Box), also when I got the call back on Friday to order the Wireless Connector I asked and the said no you do not enter on a new contract.

Sky wrote:
    *On Demand: Available to Sky TV customers with compatible Sky+ box. Downloading content requires broadband connection (minimum recommended speed 2 Mbps), On Demand activation and self set-up using own cable or wireless connector (€12.99). Downloads count towards any usage caps. Content depends on your Sky TV/HD subscription. Sky Store costs extra. Sky Movies 1&2 or Sky Sports 1&2 required for Sky Movies or Sky Sports. Downloadable HD content takes longer to start viewing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭Chet T16

I activated my on demand through the website and it went through as an order for €0, it didn't affect my '€25 but should be more' subscription

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 586 ✭✭✭lowelife

Mine arrived yesterday.
    Set up was a piece of cake, can't see myself using it a lot though as data restrictions on my internet services would get pounded.

I live in hope of a all round better internet service in the future, but breath holding wont be used.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,325 ✭✭✭✭Dozen Wicked Words

quaalude wrote: »

Sorry about late reply,

Here's abridged version of what I got from Sky:
    The cost of Anytime+ wireless connector is €9.99. Once you purchase the connector, your package price will not changed.

I can confirm that the package price will remain €25 per month.

You can purchase the connector online at the following link:
    https://mysky.sky.com/ireland

I hope this information has helped with your enquiry. If you require any further assistance, you can respond to my email.

Kind regards

Mumtaz

Unfortunately I didn't ask whether this will mean an additional 12 month minimum contract, and also Mumtaz is quoting a cheaper, non-obtainable price for the connector and a link which you can't get to.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 531 ✭✭✭zac8

Has anyone been able to order this online? Anytime I try to add it to basket nothing happens.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 355 ✭✭tadgh

zac8 wrote: »
    Has anyone been able to order this online? Anytime I try to add it to basket nothing happens.

Ditto

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2 Craigie

Woo on demand works! Cant order the wireless box saying issue "something about the email" Called them and said it's for the UK only and the broadband is not coming until November to early 2013... Any other feedback?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,317 ✭✭✭SCOOP 64

I could not order on line either, so phoned and ordered it instead , got it yesterday and set it up,can sometimes seem abit slow downloading programmes, but my broadband can be slow.
    not sure if ill use it much, always record my programmes with the planner.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,402 ✭✭✭Tinie

jonny24ie wrote: »

Yes if you don't have a Sky+HD box they will give one for free according to their website.
    got a link to info on that man? Looking to get the HD box.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,606 ✭✭✭sgarvan

dooferoaks wrote: »
    Unfortunately I didn't ask whether this will mean an additional 12 month minimum contract, and also Mumtaz is quoting a cheaper, non-obtainable price for the connector and a link which you can't get to.

Just ordered it on the phone. No it does require an additional 12 month contract.

Craigie wrote: »
    Woo on demand works! Cant order the wireless box saying issue "something about the email" Called them and said it's for the UK only and the broadband is not coming until November to early 2013... Any other feedback?

It's for Ireland too as we all order also listed in the Irish website with a price in Euro, send them a message in the forum or twitter they will organize it for you so you can order.

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭fugee

I ordered one on the phone there. Only have standard Sky + box so had to get a new one to be compatible. No way I was paying 249.

If you take out HD package for 12 months, you get a Free Sky + HD box and HD subscription half price for 12 months. €30 installation.

So an extra 7.50 a month for HD for a year.

And 12.99 for the wireless box.

Got the wireless dongle yesterday. Hooked it up. It downloads the programmes to your planner.

As I am not a Sky Movies subscriber I cannot watch movies on it, which is a bit of a pain as I wasnt aware of this. Allows you download the movies though.

sgarvan wrote: »
    Got the wireless dongle yesterday. Hooked it up. It downloads the programmes to your planner.

As I am not a Sky Movies subscriber I cannot watch movies on it, which is a bit of a pain as I wasnt aware of this. Allows you download the movies though.

As with anytime you can only watch what you are subscribed to watch, by letting you download them they are probably looking to get extra subscribers for movies, sports, etc

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,352 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

Did you seriously think you could get the movies free without subscribing?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,230 ✭✭✭Wetbench4

I just set up mine and its not great tbh. We use netflix for the last month or two and i was expecting the on demand to be similar. Its not though, you have to download it first, no streaming(maybe i just couldnt find it), so its not really on demand. I had a look at some of the tv series like game of thrones and they only have about 5 episodes. And most of the tv series i checked had about 4 or 5 epsiodes from a random season. Thats a bit pointless really.

At the end of the day, it is free so i shouldn't complain but i doubt i'll use it much though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,662 ✭✭✭Luckycharms_74

Wetbench4 wrote: »
    I just set up mine and its not great tbh. We use netflix for the last month or two and i was expecting the on demand to be similar. Its not though, you have to download it first, no streaming(maybe i just couldnt find it), so its not really on demand. I had a look at some of the tv series like game of thrones and they only have about 5 episodes. And most of the tv series i checked had about 4 or 5 epsiodes from a random season. Thats a bit pointless really.

At the end of the day, it is free so i shouldn't complain but i doubt i'll use it much though.

I agree it's defn not a catchup service as we don't have the players like in the UK. When RTE & TV3 players come on board next year as planned hopefully it will allow streaming of those like on your pc.
    From what I have seen on it so far. If its a small enough file (less than 300mb) you can watch as soon as 2% is downloaded and won't have any problem. What happened to me is I was downloading a HD movie (about 2.4GB). I let it get to 30% and then started to watch. The problem was as I was watching it caught up with the download. Thus I had to stop and wait for more of it to be downloaded. That's one of the downsides so far. I have 30meg Internet so that shouldn't be a problem with download speeds.
    As you said its free and that's what it's worth at the moment. Maybe in time they can improve the service.
    I saw those box sets your talking about and I thought the same myself. I read that the will be adding full box sets in November and they will increase their library. But tbh they shouldn't have the box sets up there when it's only a few episodes
    Hope this helps

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,722 ✭✭✭✭machiavellianme

I agree it's defn not a catchup service as we don't have the players like in the UK. When RTE & TV3 players come on board next year as planned hopefully it will allow streaming of those like on your pc.
    From what I have seen on it so far. If its a small enough file (less than 300mb) you can watch as soon as 2% is downloaded and won't have any problem. What happened to me is I was downloading a HD movie (about 2.4GB). I let it get to 30% and then started to watch. The problem was as I was watching it caught up with the download. Thus I had to stop and wait for more of it to be downloaded. That's one of the downsides so far. I have 30meg Internet so that shouldn't be a problem with download speeds.
    As you said its free and that's what it's worth at the moment. Maybe in time they can improve the service.
    I saw those box sets your talking about and I thought the same myself. I read that the will be adding full box sets in November and they will increase their library. But tbh they shouldn't have the box sets up there when it's only a few episodes
    Hope this helps

If you have done the card trick (on the old epg at least), you'll have ITV player. Have BBC iplayer or 4od launched on it yet in the UK?

If you have done the card trick (on the old epg at least), you'll have ITV player. Have BBC iplayer or 4od launched on it yet in the UK?

The card trick?
    Did you seriously think you could get the movies free without subscribing?

I wasnt expecting every movie without subscribing but I was expecting some to be available.

The card trick?

See the satellite forum. The card trick is a way to get Channel 5, ITV 1-4 etc on your epg by using an FTA card as well as your normal Sky subscription card.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,945 ✭✭✭JDxtra

Wetbench4 wrote: »

It is streaming - it just downloads a buffer first. Netflix can vary their stream quality, so it streams sooner for those on slower connections. Sky seems have fixed the quality of the content - but it does stream. How soon, depends on your broadband.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,662 ✭✭✭Luckycharms_74

I have an old UK sky card in my old sky box. I though the card trick didn't work anymore. I will try it later and see what happens. AFAIK BBC iPlayer will be launched in November, 4OD wont be launched until 2013

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,409 ✭✭✭danois

Can someone clairify for me do you need to have the HD package or is just a hd box enough.

I tried to order the adapter online and it didnt work but it did let me activate on demand. BUT by doing this it automatically upgraded me to HD. Had a conversation with a sky online advisor and said on demand only works if you have the HD package and that thats why it added.

Is that true or was he just talking crap???

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 331 ✭✭darkestlord

danois wrote: »
    Can someone clairify for me do you need to have the HD package or is just a hd box enough.

I tried to order the adapter online and it didnt work but it did let me activate on demand. BUT by doing this it automatically upgraded me to HD. Had a conversation with a sky online advisor and said on demand only works if you have the HD package and that thats why it added.

Is that true or was he just talking crap???

He's talking crap. I don't have HD and it works. You just won't be able to watch HD on demand.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,370 ✭✭✭nc6000

Can't buy it , keeps asking me to confirm my email is correct???

There is a bug on the website, you have to ring them to order.

From looking at the satellite forum it looks like the whole service is very flakey and the Wireless Connector can be very tricky to get working. Mine won't connect to my wireless router.

• Advertisement

He's talking crap. I don't have HD and it works. You just won't be able to watch HD on demand.

Thanks for that. Systems are down at the min so no point ringing hopefully tomorrow it will be sorted and I can talk to someone who has a clue!! I just reread the conversation to make sure i didnt miss understand him I didnt

Sarbani: Can I know, when did you installed the HD box?

You: when I got sky in originally over a year ago

You: I had it a year in july i think

You: All the boxes in the house are hd boxes that what i always had i didnt upgrade anything

Sarbani: Ok, then you can cancel the HD package by calling to downgrade team.

You: The point is I didnt order it in the first place

Sarbani: But to get on demand you need HD package.

Sarbani: The HD package will add up automatically when you install Sky+HD box.

You: I thought you just need a hd box to get on demand not that you have to have the hd package

Sarbani: You need to have HD package as well to get On Demand.

You: ok thanks

You: will it work on the kids xbox without hd

Sarbani: On Demand will not work with out HD package.

So a warning to anyone else who hasnt got hd package just check it didnt add automatically.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,317 ✭✭✭SCOOP 64

i have not got the HD package and the on demand box working fine.

Just rang them and the lady I spoke to told me that the HD had been added free until dec 2013 she was surprised that it was added to my account without my permission. Said it was a promotion and would not cost me anything.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,821 ✭✭✭phill106

Just rang them and the lady I spoke to told me that the HD had been added free until dec 2013 she was surprised that it was added to my account without my permission. Said it was a promotion and would not cost me anything.
    Sorry what was that ? Free hd? What is needed?

The problem is what will happen in Dec 2013 will they start charging you? or remove it from your account?

I read months back (probably here in boards) they were going to give HD for free. Maybe that's a start.

EDIT: I got a friend that didn't have SKY HD to check and it say they will have to pay €15 per month for HD

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,455 ✭✭✭RUCKING FETARD

nava wrote: »

I read months back (probably here in boards) they were going to give HD for free. Maybe that's a start.
    Septtember last year-->HD free from December. Wish people would stop posting when its bull they're spreading.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,683 ✭✭✭Carpenter

Can I use this to watch sky on my ipad folks :D

Came home today to find a letter from sky. Saying that as a thank you for being a multiroom customer they have upgraded me to HD free until december 2013. Said that if I dont want the channels you can ring and cancel it also says you will revert back to your old package in dec 2013.

The letter also said it is only open to customer who recieve the letter. That explains why I have them free :)

Carpenter wrote: »
    Can I use this to watch sky on my ipad folks :D

No. You only need this for a Sky HD box.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,683 ✭✭✭Carpenter

No. You only need this for a Sky HD box.

Thank you I have Sky HD but was wondering if I could watch live tv on my ipad so in other words its a big remote control

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭bookmad

Back in February I was given HD for free for 6months, they then sent out a letter and told me they have given it to us for another 6months . Pleased with that . Today we got a call saying we have been selected for the initial Sky Broadband and Talk in Ireland . Do you recon I also need this for on demand also or will they provide it when they send out their sky wireless hub?

• Advertisement
Advertisement