Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Advertising is a load of balls

• 11-10-2012 7:17pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,871 ✭✭✭✭

Isn't it?

Hand made crisps - yeah the lad on the machine had hands to press the buttons.

The girl on the radio ad who whispers "sometimes it's ok to be yourself".....who the fcuk else could you be.

Men's tolietries using sh*te such as "ice", "storm", "extreme", "turbo".....want to know something for free - i buy the deodorant/shower gel that happens to be on special in tesco that particular week.

Seriously does anyone believe half the crap that's spouted?

Mad Men my arse...

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,635 ✭✭✭eth0

mfceiling wrote: »

No but tis keeping people in jobs sure

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,795 ✭✭✭Hande hoche!

Din't worry, someone will post a Bill Hicks clip soon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,455 ✭✭✭Where To

OP just proved that advertising works.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,381 ✭✭✭nbar12

handmade crisps are nice

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,871 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

Where To wrote: »

How did i prove it works.....

I'm not arsed if i hear it spouted but do i believe in it or buy a product because of it....No

Seriously - someone telling you it's alright to be yourself....what a load of bollix

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,547 ✭✭✭Agricola

There are the cynical and the gullible in this world. Advertisers make a living on the basis that the cynical are in the vast minority.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,920 ✭✭✭Einhard

And the George Carlin clip should be posted right about

NOW

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,076 ✭✭✭Eathrin

Yeah I'm not a fan of advertising but it has it's benefits for everyone.
    Advertising means you don't have to pay to use this website, watch certain tv channels etc., shíte as it may be.

Like the OP, I generally buy whatever's on special or the product which benefits me most at the lowest price. I have no brand loyalty.

• Registered Users Posts: 518 ✭✭✭otto_26

Really what named products did he mention?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,520 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

Perfume ads are without a doubt the worst offenders.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,184 ✭✭✭3ndahalfof6

I do believe it is working for bingo and lotto

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

I love advertising, it entertains me!

It's also how you actually find out about products.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 942 ✭✭✭Real Life

Advertising for the most part doesnt sit right with me.
    I work as a graphic designer and creating ads is a big part of what i do, a bigger part than i would like but i do it cos i need the money.

One thing that does annoy me though is the bill hicks video people have mentioned. he tells people who work in advertising to go kill themselves but yet he probably had people make an advertisement poster for his shows.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,663 ✭✭✭Immaculate Pasta

Advertising is based on one thing: happiness. And you know what happiness is? Happiness is the smell of a new car. It’s freedom from fear. It’s a billboard on the side of the road that screams with reassurance that whatever you’re doing… it’s okay. You are okay. :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,073 ✭✭✭Pottler

Depends how you look at it. I doubt Coke spend so much on ads because they don't work, but from a consumer point of view, ads might be balls to you, but they're a future shopping list to a lot of others. Really consumerism is a load of balls - mountains of plastic, useless shyte that will be landfilled after a week or two. I'd ban cheap, crap plastic things, it would save resources, cut down transportation and ease the pressure on dumps. The sheer mad volume of chemicals like shampoo, washing powder etc etc etc pumped down the drain is the real load of balls tho.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,135 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

We buy any car... dot com!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭General General

Me? I love nothing more than a good ad'. Commercial break? It's like a lucky bag!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭UCDVet

Isn't it?

Hand made crisps - yeah the lad on the machine had hands to press the buttons.

The girl on the radio ad who whispers "sometimes it's ok to be yourself".....who the fcuk else could you be.

Men's tolietries using sh*te such as "ice", "storm", "extreme", "turbo".....want to know something for free - i buy the deodorant/shower gel that happens to be on special in tesco that particular week.

Mad Men my arse...

Do people actually believe it? No.
    Is it a very effective way to get more people to buy a particular product? Yes.

There are lots and lots and lots of papers/studies/articles/research on the topic.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,151 ✭✭✭kupus

So OP everything in your life up to now you never been influenced by advertising...............
    http://sebastianmarshall.com/advertising-works-on-you
    You're mistaken if you think advertising doesn't work on you.
    Let's say you're driving down the street in your car. You want something to eat. There's 60 restaurants within sight.
    Which do you choose?
    Something that stands out to you and calls to you for some reason.
    People think advertising doesn't work because they see a commercial for a burger joint and don't immediately get hungry.
    But that's not the point. The point is that you now that burger joint stands out a little more to you.
    Maybe you don't eat there anyways. Especially if you don't eat hamburgers. That's not the point.
    The point is, it'll now stand out a little more, especially if you're the potential target market. If you're in the market for a hamburger, you're likely to notice a place that stood out to you.
    I didn't understand this for the longest time. Then I met a guy in Barcelona who owned some "El Pollo Loco" restaurants in Los Angeles - it's a fast food place. The name is Spanish, it means "The Crazy Chicken."
    I'd spent plenty of time in LA, but I'd never noticed El Pollo Loco.
    Next time I was in Los Angeles, I noticed the restaurant everywhere.
    Advertising isn't the only way to do that, but it's one way. If El Pollo Loco commercials came on TV, you'd notice the restaurants more often. As you're driving in your car and have 60 choices, Pollo Loco would become a more prominent option.
    Advertising is about making the product or brand familiar, and thus having it stand out to you on the shelf or while going about your life. Your mind is good at picking up shapes and symbols, this does work to make brands and products stand out to you.
    Advertising works on you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,327 ✭✭✭Madam_X

"That advertisement had absolutely NO effect on me whatsoever."

• Advertisement

I'm hungry now and want pollo loco.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,537 ✭✭✭KKkitty

We buy any car... dot com!
    They haven't had the annoying jingle on their last few ads thank god.

KKkitty wrote: »
    Noticed that Prams and bikes or whatever they're called have gotten even more annoying to compensate though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

When ads come on i change channel

• Registered Users Posts: 7,537 ✭✭✭KKkitty

Pottler wrote: »
    KKkitty wrote: »
    Noticed that Prams and bikes or whatever they're called have gotten even more annoying to compensate though.
    The annoying jingles in ads are enough for me to switch over to something else.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,455 ✭✭✭Where To

otto_26 wrote: »
    Really what named products did he mention?
    Doesn't have to name any. What's the thread about?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,871 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

I love sky plus....bye, bye dfs sales and all you other feckers who are pitching your wares at me

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

Advetising pays my wages but it is a load of balls to a certain extent. Although I like the idea of Sky+ etc (don't have it), I can't understand why they give the option as surely it affects their revenue.

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭Randy Anders

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭livinsane

Consciously, I am only aware of being manipulated by one ad.

Went buying cleaning products with my friend cos we were moving out of our apartment and said in the shop, we better get Cillit Bang because its the best one out there.

I was disappointed with myself when I realised what I'd done. I thought I was impermeable.

• Registered Users Posts: 518 ✭✭✭otto_26

Doesn't have to name any. What's the thread about?

Advertising but I'm still waiting for advertising to start working within this thread! No product has been mentioned so how have I as a consumer been reached by marketers?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

That's something I wonder about advertising now, we're adept at tuning them out and with the likes of sky plus people don't watch them at all. It's actually a hell of a lot cheaper to advertise on a lot of sky channels than it is to advertise on RTE.

Traditional advertising is becoming redundant, it does still work on older folks but I think the younger generations get their information in different ways, they seek out information as they need it meaning advertising is less effective on them. However those people might purchase a product if they knew about it but if they never hear about it how can they buy it. We're back to old school word of mouth in many ways it's just happening through the internet.

It does cost to much at the moment and it's not genuine, advertising meetings involve people being paid a lot of money to brainstorm on ways to convince people they want a product whether they need it or not. I hate it but it's just a side effect of a consumerist economy and we're stuck with it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

Ads are a neccesary evil. Where else is the tea going to come from, unless you have an on-demand tea lady. And in these hard times that ain't feasible. And before someone spouts that fancy pancy Sky + technology, I refer to my previous sentence.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,828 ✭✭✭Reamer Fanny

I look forward to a future when adverts are personally tailored depending on your preference, I mean wtf do I need tampons for?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

justryan wrote: »
    I look forward to a future when adverts are personally tailored depending on your preference, I mean wtf do I need tampons for?
    But then they'll show you what they think you want, they'll tailor your world to suit their clients and you may well lose out on seeing many products you may like because the advertisers control what you're allowed to see.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,299 ✭✭✭✭MadsL

Real men use tampons...

http://artofmanliness.com/2012/06/05/survival-tampon/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,133 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

Unexpected nosebleeds.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,171 ✭✭✭af_thefragile

Its all subliminal.

You remember the add with the hot chick with the massive tits displaying herself to the ordinary looking guy and then when you are walking down the aisle in Tescos, you recognise the product on the aisle and you buy it thinking you saw the add on TV so it must be better than Tesco's own brand product.

Or you watch the movie with the hero kicking ass or driving a fast car while wearing these sun glasses. Then you spot the sunglasses in the store and you pick them up and put them on in the back of your mind remembering the super cool scene from the film where the hero wears the same sunglasses and does kick ass stuff...

This is why add men are paid millions. Of course they know people aren't fools and won't fall for words like "turbo" or "storm" or whatever crap is written on the product. What they know is how to make people recognise products and associate certain emotions to certain products which will make the person buy that product over other products.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,312 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

OP, if the words like "nitro" and "turbo" for mens razors annoy you, take a look at the Oakley sunglasses website and prepared to be really annoyed.
    Here's the blurb on the first set of sun glasses I clicked on
    We make optical gear for those who play to win. Even if you’re competing in casual sports, there should be nothing casual about performance. So if you’re looking for a slice of style that’s a cut above the rest, get something carved on the cutting edge of technology. Oakley Scalpel® combines the best of High Definition Optics® (HDO®) with a look that goes from street to sport, and it offers a level of performance as aggressive as its styling.
    This is sculpture mixed with science, and there’s a reason behind every curve. The side-to-side contour of a lens can make or break peripheral vision. SCALPEL has a full 8.75 base curvature to open your range of view. That much of a contour leads to optical distortion in ordinary sunglasses but Scalpel is engineered with XYZ Optics® to maintain critical clarity along the entire lens curve. You’ll have added protection against sun, wind and side impact. As a matter of fact, this design meets ANSI Z87.1 basic impact standards, and the pure Plutonite® lenses filter out 100% of all UV. The optics also meet every ANSI Z87.1 standard for visual performance. So if you hit the links or just crash a beach volleyball game, Scalpel will give you all the razor-sharp clarity you need.
    The smooth sculptural contours are made of durable, lightweight O Matter® frame material, and we gave the stem sleeves special attention. Note how they wrap the ends and continue along the underside. They’re made of Unobtainium®, a material that increases grip with sweat, and they’re part of a Three-Point Fit that maintains comfort all day while holding the lenses in precise optical alignment.
    The only thing left to think about is what options you want. Oakley HDPolarized lenses block the blinding rays of glare that are magnified by flat surfaces. Our polarization technology eliminates the haze and optical distortion that plagues ordinary polarized lenses. You can also get Scalpel with Iridium® lens coating that further reduces glare while precisely balancing light transmission. And if you weren’t born with perfect eyes, you can get Oakley Authentic Prescription Lenses.
    http://www.oakley.com/products/6442/23775

I just hope I have my oakleys next time I crash a volleyball game.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 76 ✭✭TheBoss!

Hot naked girls in your area are waiting to chat with YOU, right now!

Hey, my TV has built in GPS!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,943 ✭✭✭wonderfulname

ScumLord wrote: »
    But then they'll show you what they think you want, they'll tailor your world to suit their clients and you may well lose out on seeing many products you may like because the advertisers control what you're allowed to see.
    Google already does this, not only with adverts, but also with search results unless you've told them not to. Facebook plays the same game too. It's a bit scary;

This is why add men are paid millions. Of course they know people aren't fools and won't fall for words like "turbo" or "storm" or whatever crap is written on the product. What they know is how to make people recognise products and associate certain emotions to certain products which will make the person buy that product over other products.
    You guys give humanity too much credit, there are men who need their masculinity supplemented as such to buy grooming products, rebranding previously female products (deodorant, moisturiser, diet soft drinks, crap larger) in an explosive, testosterone fuelled manner is the only way some people will consider using them.

Equally there is a reason a large amount of products come in normal and pink.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,674 ✭✭✭Dangerous Man

kowloon wrote: »
    Perfume ads are without a doubt the worst offenders.

Some of them are so bad they're hilarious though. There's one where there's a press conference and a male model sits at a podium with a look of disgust on his face before announcing to the assembled throngs of journalists - 'I'm not going to be the person you expect me to be anymore.' Then he cuts a line through the shocked hacks... perfume ads are so bizarre.

Cienciano wrote: »
    OP, if the words like "nitro" and "turbo" for mens razors annoy you, take a look at the Oakley sunglasses website and prepared to be really annoyed.
    Here's the blurb on the first set of sun glasses I clicked on

http://www.oakley.com/products/6442/23775

I just hope I have my oakleys next time I crash a volleyball game.

I want my sunglasses to be made out of Unobtanium!!!!

Some of them are so bad they're hilarious though. There's one where there's a press conference and a male model sits at a podium with a look of disgust on his face before announcing to the assembled throngs of journalists - 'I'm not going to be the person you expect me to be anymore.' Then he cuts a line through the shocked hacks... perfume ads are so bizarre.

Well I find the generic ones the worst which is just some scantily clad model doing absolutely nothing and someone in a French accent spells out the name of the perfume. WTF is all that about?!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,583 ✭✭✭mconigol

• Site Banned Posts: 1,678 ✭✭✭Andy!!

No, he didn't. Unless you somehow think the purpose of advertising is to enrage people...

Tampons have many more uses for men than they do for women:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭keith16

RTE just showed an ad for "Homeland" season 2 while I'm still working my way through season 1.

Fcuk you RTE.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,299 ✭✭✭✭MadsL

Equally there is a reason a large amount of products come in normal and pink.

AR15 Normal
    AR15 in Pink! with extra Hello Kitty.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,303 ✭✭✭Temptamperu

Advertising is disgusting and really offends me, but of course its not a dead baby so no - one cares but it is so pervasive we cant even go through TV shows without someone with an Iphone and mac combo on the desk or drinking cokes with the can held so you can read its coke. It has an effect on the lower intelligence bracket too as they feel bad because they don't have the new thing that's gonna be thrown away in 6 months when they ad a new sticker to the thing so everyone knows you don't have the new thing.
    You cant get away with it and if you graffiti over it YOU get charged for defacement while advertising companies deface every wall they can with s**t you don't need.

People in advertisement make me sick to my stomach and I would have no problem beating every single c**t that thinks up a cartoon character to sell insurance with a hammer.

• Advertisement
Advertisement