Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Advertising is a load of balls

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 528 ✭✭✭telecaster

I would have no problem beating every single c**t that thinks up a cartoon character to sell insurance with a hammer.

Where can I avail of this insurance and hammer combo deal?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,455 ✭✭✭Where To

otto_26 wrote: »
    Advertising but I'm still waiting for advertising to start working within this thread! No product has been mentioned so how have I as a consumer been reached by marketers?
    Andy!! wrote: »
    No, he didn't. Unless you somehow think the purpose of advertising is to enrage people...
    If advertising didn't work you wouldn't be posting in this thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 518 ✭✭✭otto_26

Google already does this, not only with adverts, but also with search results unless you've told them not to. Facebook plays the same game too. It's a bit scary;

You guys give humanity too much credit, there are men who need their masculinity supplemented as such to buy grooming products, rebranding previously female products (deodorant, moisturiser, diet soft drinks, crap larger) in an explosive, testosterone fuelled manner is the only way some people will consider using them.

Equally there is a reason a large amount of products come in normal and pink.

I'm worried I'm not normal.. I don't care about brands or names of products I just buy the cheapest or best value item:confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

I'm worried I'm not normal.. I don't care about brands or names of products I just buy the cheapest or best value item:confused:
    The best value and cheapest are rarely mutually exclusive. The cheapest products tend to have the shortest lifespan meaning you'd need a multiple of them to do the same job as the good quality version. So in effect you end up paying much more than you would if you'd bought the high quality expensive one in the first place. Advertising working at it's best.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,296 ✭✭✭EdenHazard

I think how advertising works now is through celebrities, I mean if I see Eden hazard wearing a particular type of boots, or David Beckham wearing some type of clothes I'm gonna want them. Like HANDM at the moment has a David Beckham line, basically all it is is plain white wife beaters and boxers but I'd say it does well. Its stupid but I mean we wanna believe by wearing this stuff we'll be like Beckham, or Zac Efron etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,171 ✭✭✭af_thefragile

You should watch these BBC documentary series on brands and advertising:

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

Hands up who went for a pint of the black stuff on Arthurs Day

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,941 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

People in advertisement make me sick to my stomach and I would have no problem beating every single c**t that thinks up a cartoon character to sell insurance with a hammer.

I work in advertising. One of the only areas that promotes creativity these days, I really enjoy it and I have worked on award winning campaigns, I have worked on campaigns for small businesses that have helped get their product to people making the businesses that bit more successful. I make an honest living.

Part of my last campaign was for a popular game.

I see from your previous posts, you play this game.

You're posting on a website that gets revenue from advertising.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,553 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

John_Rambo wrote: »
    I work in advertising.

Do you have favorite advertising campaigns, do you develop an appreciation for ads that you think are well crafted? Can you give us an example of one and what makes it good?

I'm genuinely interested in hearing the opinion of someone who knows more about how it all works.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,941 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

TG4's stuff is excellent. Great photography, nice design, good font, good copy.

31996_portraits2_zps74f0da3b.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭Chorcai

this... sigh:mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,968 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

Really what named products did he mention?

Ah, but the OP shops in Tesco. :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,943 ✭✭✭wonderfulname

I buy what I perceive to be the best value item, when it comes to something I know nothing about I'm sure advertising has a part to play in my purchasing, it at least ensures I've heard of a product before, or am aware of it as a 'reputable' brand. I don't think the lifestyle or image claims made in advertising affect me though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,328 ✭✭✭cafecolour

Of course it's balls, but it works. Look at something like Coca-Cola - dodgy tasting sugar-water with no nutritional value exists entirely because of advertising.

For that matter, companies are making a mint convincing people who live in 1st world countries - with perfectly fine tap water - that the tap water is dangerous and they should by bottled water (which is often just the same tap water in a bottle).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,328 ✭✭✭cafecolour

My favorite example is bath gel. When I was young, everyone used bar soap. Then bath gels and loofahs and such came along - but for a good decade (ie the 90s), they were only feminine products. A bar of soap was the 'manly' option.

Now bath gels are the norm it seems. They're basically just taking the bar soap, adding water to it, and charging you more, but everyone snaps them up!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 739 ✭✭✭flynnlives

Eathrin wrote: »
    Yeah I'm not a fan of advertising but it has it's benefits for everyone.
    Advertising means you don't have to pay to use this website, watch certain tv channels etc., shíte as it may be.

but you had to buy a TV!

cafecolour wrote: »
    Now bath gels are the norm it seems. They're basically just taking the bar soap, adding water to it, and charging you more, but everyone snaps them up!
    I think prisons ruined the reputation of soap bars.

Gels can be much more manly because they can put sand like stuff in them. I wish I could buy shower gel that was made of 50% sand.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,943 ✭✭✭wonderfulname

ScumLord wrote: »
    Gels can be much more manly because they can put sand like stuff in them. I wish I could buy shower gel that was made of 50% sand.

Exfoliator?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,614 ✭✭✭ArtSmart

mfceiling wrote: »
    Isn't it?

Hand made crisps - yeah the lad on the machine had hands to press the buttons.

The girl on the radio ad who whispers "sometimes it's ok to be yourself".....who the fcuk else could you be.

Men's tolietries using sh*te such as "ice", "storm", "extreme", "turbo".....want to know something for free - i buy the deodorant/shower gel that happens to be on special in tesco that particular week.

Seriously does anyone believe half the crap that's spouted?

Mad Men my arse...

not watching ads is stealing Telly. :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭Misty Chaos

Advertising is just a necessary evil in this capitalist world, unfortunately.

Everyone will claim ' Oh, advertising has no effect on me! ' The truth is, unless you've spent your entire life in a old fashioned, reclusive monastery then you are going to be influenced by advertising no matter what.

Case in point - 10 years ago, who drank Captain Morgans & Coke? The modern popularity of that drink all came down to a very successful advertising campaign in the past few years. It's now actually my drink of choice, thanks to an in bar promotion giving out free samples - An example of advertising influencing my choices.

That and seeing that advertising is everywhere, some of that stuff is gonna creep into your sub-conscious and then influence your decisions that you otherwise think are organic. On the topic of organic, people who only eat ' organic ' foods, again, even if they don't believe it, advertising had an influence in their decision.

I better stop there as I'm probably stepping into a very large minefield as it is.

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 1,678 ✭✭✭Andy!!

Where To wrote: »

If advertising didn't work you wouldn't be posting in this thread.

No, Im posting BECAUSE it doesnt work, it only serves to annoy. Youre wrong, move on...

No, Im posting BECAUSE it doesnt work, it only serves to annoy. Youre wrong, move on...
    If it annoys you it works. How did you find this thread to post in? How did you find the internet capable device to enable you access this thread? How did you find your ISP?

Advertising works, like it or not. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 621 ✭✭✭dave3004

My favourite ads are probably the Carlsberg ones

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,236 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

Chorcai wrote: »

this... sigh:mad:

That clown on the left needs a slap in the back of the head to knock some smugness out of him.

If it annoys you it works. How did you find this thread to post in? How did you find the internet capable device to enable you access this thread? How did you find your ISP?

You are failing to grasp a simple concept. If it annoys me, it is NOT working. Advertising is supposed to ENTICE people.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,061 ✭✭✭PickledLime

There's a difference between wanting to avail of products/services, then using the available information to determine which best suits your needs and buying the 'ice storm turbo edition' because of snappy advertising without really knowing what it does or why you've bought it.

Do i wear Asics runners because i spotted some sports celeb promoting them? No, i wear them because they're usually a great fit for my foot and durable. Do i use Beats by Dre because celebs and idiots alike wear them as fashion accessories? No, i use Sennheiser headphones because the particular brand is famed for having a natural sounding sound profile, which is how i like to hear my music. Do i wear Osiris glasses because the pictures of them in Specsavers told me i'd be the hottest guy on the street with them? No, i wear them because they were the best fit in the style i was looking for (didn't even realise what brand they were until someone asked me and i had to take them off to check :pac:)

I think you're confusing advertising that simply lets you know that a product is available (in my two examples the 'advertising' was having a shoe on the shelf in store and the headphones listed on a website) with advertising that pushes it in your face/tells you life isn't worth living without it/tells you how many more friends/members of the opposite sex you'll have just for owning it, preys on the gullible, etc., which is what the OP is rallying against.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 528 ✭✭✭telecaster

I boycott products if I dont like the adverts for it. How is that advertising working?

I've stopped eating Old El Paso since the advert with that David Cameron looking twat in a pullover who was compelled to dance salsa-style in response to the delicious Mexican food he was eating.

I refuse to listen to Radio Nova because I hate their banner ads on this site where they try to trick you that they are some type of a counselling or shelter service for people with addictions etc, but really the addiction is to music or some crappy denouement along those lines.

Ha ha Radio Nova, you fooled me, I thought you were campaigning to help the vulnerable, but no you're just whoring for JNLR figures.

Hey advertiser guy, dont ever think you are providing some kind of altruistic or essential service to help us find 'threads' or 'ISPs', the forum and ISPs existed prior to internet advertising. You are not Tim Berners F~~king Lee.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,264 ✭✭✭✭jester77

I think that advertising works, maybe not in the way the advertisers meant but defo works.

I'd often sit down to watch a game of football on the TV and a beer ad will come one, usually Carlsberg, Heineken or Bitburger. It makes me want a beer, so I would usually pop across the street and pick up a few beers for the match, just not the ones being advertised but beers I actually like to drink.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,760 ✭✭✭summerskin

You are failing to grasp a simple concept. If it annoys me, it is NOT working. Advertising is supposed to ENTICE people.

You're actually failing to grasp the concept. Advertising works to plant a product in your sub-conscious. In many ways, the more irritating the better, as you WILL remember it, like it or not.

GoCompare being the prime example, possibly the most annoying and successful ad campaign of recent times.

• Advertisement

Case in point - 10 years ago, who drank Captain Morgans & Coke? The modern popularity of that drink all came down to a very successful advertising campaign in the past few years. It's now actually my drink of choice, thanks to an in bar promotion giving out free samples - An example of advertising influencing my choices.
    Rum and coke has been a fairly well known drink for a long time. I remember a group of us cleaning a bar out of captain morgans and it would have been nearly 10 years ago. The Captain might find that their advertising campaign sparks little more than a fad of drinking rum and coke for a while, those drinks are to expensive to become anybodies regular. I do like a rum and coke every so often, I'd buy some proper sugarcane rum and a bottle of Dr Pepper though, tis lovely.

summerskin wrote: »

You're actually failing to grasp the concept. Advertising works to plant a product in your sub-conscious. In many ways, the more irritating the better, as you WILL remember it, like it or not.

GoCompare being the prime example, possibly the most annoying and successful ad campaign of recent times.

No. For the reason telecaster already mentioned. People refuse to buy products if the marketing campaign is annoying, unless they are some kind of spastic. For example, I would never use wimax cause of that annoying bald prat with the guitar.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,736 ✭✭✭Irish Guitarist

Advertising works on me to a certain extent. If I see an advertisement for crisps I might go and buy a bag, however they'll probably be a different brand to the ones being advertised.

If I have no interest in something no amount of advertising will change my mind.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,151 ✭✭✭kupus

No. For the reason telecaster already mentioned. People refuse to buy products if the marketing campaign is annoying, unless they are some kind of spastic. For example, I would never use wimax cause of that annoying bald prat with the guitar.

WHY IS IT:
    A man wakes up after sleeping under an ADVERTISED blanket
    on an ADVERTISED mattress and pulls off an ADVERTISED pajamas
    bathes in an ADVERTISED shower/bath
    shaves with an ADVERTISED razor brushes his teeth with an ADVERTISED
    toothpaste, washes with an ADVERTISED soap/gel,
    puts on a wait for it......an ADVERTISED clothing brand
    drinks a cup of ADVERTISED coffee/tea
    drives to work in an ADVERTISED car and then.........

refuses to believe in advertising

Wrong wrong wrong. GoCompare saw a 44% increase in web traffic because of their campaign. Similar with Cillit Bang, webuyanycar.com, Wonga and many many others.

The ads create awareness, and people are then pre-disposed to choose the name they have heard before somewhere when looking for a product that, usually, they have never needed before. It lends legitimacy to it by being on TV.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

Really what named products did he mention?

eh, he did say tescos and going for what ever is a special. That's like the blitzkrieg of advertising that is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,922 ✭✭✭hooradiation

You are not a unique, special snowflake.
    Advertising works on you, just as it works on everyone else.

Wrong wrong wrong. GoCompare saw a 44% increase in web traffic because of their campaign. Similar with Cillit Bang, webuyanycar.com, Wonga and many many others.

The ads create awareness, and people are then pre-disposed to choose the name they have heard before somewhere when looking for a product that, usually, they have never needed before. It lends legitimacy to it by being on TV.

Youre operating under the assumption that everybody who saw it found it annoying like you. Which they obviously didnt. As they gave them money. You dont reward people for irritating you. Again, incredibly simple concept you cant wrap your brain around. Bless.

Youre operating under the assumption that everybody who saw it found it annoying like you. Which they obviously didnt. As they gave them money. You dont reward people for irritating you. Again, incredibly simple concept you cant wrap your brain around. Bless.

No, my degree in media and communication plus 10+ years experience in managing large businesses and advertising budgets clearly means I don't understand the concept of advertising and how/why it works.

Tell me, what makes you qualified to decide what makes an advertisement effective or otherwise?

Bless.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

No, my degree in media and communication plus 10+ years experience in managing large businesses and advertising budgets clearly means I don't understand the concept of advertising and how/why it works.

Bless.

Sorry, we all seemed to have over looked that part within your CV.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

Advertising a load of balls would be easy enough I imagine.

Look how well Umbro do it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,303 ✭✭✭Temptamperu

John_Rambo wrote: »
    I work in advertising. One of the only areas that promotes creativity these days, I really enjoy it and I have worked on award winning campaigns, I have worked on campaigns for small businesses that have helped get their product to people making the businesses that bit more successful. I make an honest living.

Part of my last campaign was for a popular game.

I see from your previous posts, you play this game.

You're posting on a website that gets revenue from advertising.

What am I supposed to do? I love stories and the game industry although highly incorporated you get very few good original games but i get the originals I don't play all games that come out just the original ones. I know Boards and the the other forums I use need to pay into this corporate world and I too must suck on these teats because i was born in these terrible times.

Advertising isn't original, most companies make annoying adverts so people will talk about how s**t the advert is and by doing that the companies product is mentioned in a group and high hoe everyone knows about it. I know you make an honest living but adverts are horrible and I use ad blocker and don't watch TV to get around it, but if i go to the cinema there are adverts after i paid to get in, why are my paying when the advertising company has paid for the movie?
    When I play a game (prototype) it had coke adverts and other things on the billboards about the city why did I pay when it was paid for already?

I'm sorry I said i would beat you with a hammer but advertising is a horrible pervasive business.

Tell me, what makes you qualified to decide what makes an advertisement effective or otherwise?

Uh, Im an aware consumer? Which is more real than your fake degree, which I assure you you would have failed had you actually taken it. People do not reward things that irritate them. Very very simple idea.

Also lol at whoever said advertisers/marketers are the only creative field out there! They are the scum of the earth. They want people saturated in advertisements from when they wake till they sleep. They have no respect for other people whatsoever. People are not people to them, they are just numbers. 'Footfalls'.

Is it really?

I bow to your superior knowledge sir. I was unaware that someone could be so completely unaffected by advertising as you. So much so, in fact, that you are able to boycott products without knowing they exist. Well, how could you know they exist since advertising doesn't work?

Uh, Im an aware consumer? Which is more real than your fake degree, which I assure you you would have failed had you actually taken it. People do not reward things that irritate them. Very very simple idea.

Also lol at whoever said advertisers/marketers are the only creative field out there! They are the scum of the earth. They want people saturated in advertisements from when they wake till they sleep. They have no respect for other people whatsoever. People are not people to them, they are just numbers. 'Footfalls'.

Ah, personal insults. The last resort of someone who has no clue what they are talking about.

Now, pop off and build some more computers that you were in no way influenced to do by advertising etc.

• Advertisement

When I play a game (prototype) it had coke adverts and other things on the billboards about the city why did I pay when it was paid for already?
    I'm not so much against that, it adds a sense of realism to the game if it has advertising like in the real world. Something that annoys me as much as product placement is when they substitute fake brands into shows because they're not allowed to use the real product without getting sued. I think art should be allowed to represent the world as it is.

Ah, personal insults. The last resort of someone who has no clue what they are talking about.

Now, pop off and build some more computers that you were in no way influenced to do by advertising etc.

You expose yourself as someone who is not 'all there' by stalking them, you know.

And you are correct. Advertisement has not influenced a single decision in my computer build. I relied purely on individuals recommendations.

And temp raises another good point. Product placement. Universally detested. Almost everything I heard from people that mentioned the recent bond films and Mission Impossible III had to do with how the gratuitous product placement from Sony and Apple respectively just made people roll their eyes, not run to an electronics store. You annoy people with advertisement, you lose sales. Because you are showing you do not respect people, you just want their money. They are a pair of eyes and ears attached to a wallet to advertisers/marketers, and people dont like that.

You expose yourself as someone who is not 'all there' by stalking them, you know.

And you are correct. Advertisement has not influenced a single decision in my computer build. I relied purely on individuals recommendations.

And how ds those people discover the product? Advertising.

Have you ever been to watch a movie? Bought food? An item of clothing? You were only aware of those products because they were advertised.

And how ds those people discover the product? Advertising.

Have you ever been to watch a movie? Bought food? An item of clothing? You were only aware of those products because they were advertised.

9 pages in and you still have not copped on we are talking about annoying and disrespectful advertising (admittedly, this is around 95% of the worlds advertising). Bless... I mean really Ive explicitely expressed it in every post. Annoying advertisements, no sale. Over-saturation in an advertisement, if I see it everywhere and its bugging me, again, no sale. People vote with their wallets. Nobody, not even the OP, is complaining about ads that say, 'its out, heres whats on offer, if you like it, go for it' and dont ram it down your throat at every street corner.

Also Id like to say that Irish ads are the worst and cheesiest too. Completely devoid of creativity and anything else positive.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,922 ✭✭✭hooradiation

"Disrespectful" advertising... well there's a new one.

• Advertisement
Advertisement