Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Advertising is a load of balls

13»

Comments

• Site Banned Posts: 1,678 ✭✭✭Andy!!

"Disrespectful" advertising... well there's a new one.

You dont understand the concept? If you are not being respected, if they are trying to get in your face at every opportune moment, not to offer something that will benefit you, but just to get money off you, you call that respectful? Buying rights to landmarks and renaming them, you think that shows respect for a places history? You think they renamed it Aviva stadium in the hope that you would love the name and that it would make you happy?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

Advertising gave us Old Spice Guy.
    It may be a shockingly effective way of programming people to do things while they still proclaim to have things like free will, but Old Spice Guy is a worthwhile price to pay.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,922 ✭✭✭hooradiation

Andy!! wrote: »
    You dont understand the concept? If you are not being respected, if they are trying to get in your face at every opportune moment, not to offer something that will benefit you, but just to get money off you, you call that respectful? Buying rights to landmarks and renaming them, you think that shows respect for a places history? You think they renamed it Aviva stadium in the hope that you would love the name and that it would make you happy?

It's advertising, that's what it does.

You might as well complain that the sea is being "disrespectful" when the tide has the audacity to come in over your sandcastle.
    It'll do about as much good and you'll be exactly as coherent.

It's advertising, that's what it does.

You might as well complain that the sea is being "disrespectful" when the tide has the audacity to come in over your sandcastle.
    It'll do about as much good and you'll be exactly as coherent.

So, perfectly coherent? Phew! That is a relief to know. And yes, WE KNOW THATS WHAT IT DOES DUUUUUUUUUURRRRRRR thats why there is a thread bitching about it!! Finally, youve caught up to the conversation. Welcome!

Sarky wrote: »
    Advertising gave us Old Spice Guy.
    It may be a shockingly effective way of programming people to do things while they still proclaim to have things like free will, but Old Spice Guy is a worthwhile price to pay.

Nobody is giving out about awesome ads. Awesome ads are entertaining. If anything, thats a parody of crappy ads and how they try to sell stuff. Youll also notice, there isnt an old spice ad on every street corner and James Bond doesnt use it in his films, making sure the label is in full view. Wish I could say that about SONY and their crap overpriced laptops.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

You dont understand the concept? If you are not being respected, if they are trying to get in your face at every opportune moment, not to offer something that will benefit you, but just to get money off you,
    That's basically every ad ever made. What ads are respectful by your standards?

The job of an advertiser is to get a product noticed by any means possible at any opportunity.

ScumLord wrote: »
    That's basically every ad ever made. What ads are respectful by your standards?

Nah its gotten a hundred times worse in recent years. Though that could be said about most of the human condition I guess. Look at it like this. Two women are interested in you. One is cool and texts every day or so, doesnt push, respects your 'me' time, the other rings you four times a day and wants to be with you every moment, annoying the hell out of you. Who do you go for? ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,922 ✭✭✭hooradiation

So, perfectly coherent? Phew! That is a relief to know. And yes, WE KNOW THATS WHAT IT DOES DUUUUUUUUUURRRRRRR thats why there is a thread bitching about it!! Finally, youve caught up to the conversation. Welcome!

You're more than welcome to continue railing against a perfectly minor, occasional inconvenience as if it's an omnipresent blight.

I mean, you'd be wrong, it's a waste of time and the laughable metric of "respect" that you've attached to this whole farce is the icing on a particularly awful cake - but something tells me your little crusade isn't going to fuck off and die any time soon.

Nah its gotten a hundred times worse in recent years.
    I don't think it has, there are actual regulations now that didn't exist decades ago that allowed companies to say whatever they liked. They could be racist, sexist and could blatantly lie about products. They were selling cocaine as a cure for the common cold and had to be made stop by making drugs illegal.

Advertising is more pervasive now but all information is. I'd agree that pervasiveness has made advertising beyond annoying because it's always there but society as a whole is encouraging that pervasiveness of all information, there's more of it everywhere. If you compared road sign posts that were around 50 years ago to today you'd see that we're just mad about having more and more information put in front of us.

I don't see many ads anymore, I got rid of my TV and won't buy papers.

Im not talking about content Lord, Im talking about how its constantly in our face and its only getting worse.

I don't see many ads anymore, I got rid of my TV and won't buy papers.

Me and all. I just use my TV as a display really.

Youtube annoys me though, theyve introduced ads that we cant skip cause theyre only a certain number of seconds long. And advertisers use every one hah. I dont mind ads off to the side. They gotta pay to keep the site running, for staff and server space. But forcing those kinds of ads on us just gives the viewer the middle finger while wiping paying advertisers arses with the other hand.

You're more than welcome to continue railing against a perfectly minor, occasional inconvenience as if it's an omnipresent blight.

Actually thats exactly what it is. An omnipresent blight. Poetic. Thanks. Mind if I use it?

• Advertisement

I
    Youtube annoys me though, theyve introduced ads that we cant skip cause theyre only a certain number of seconds long. And advertisers use every one hah. I dont mind ads off to the side. They gotta pay to keep the site running, for staff and server space. But forcing those kinds of ads on us just gives the viewer the middle finger while wiping paying advertisers arses with the other hand.
    It's really not, advertisers are with the best of intentions trying to make sales for a business. They're hardly going to pay google money if the ad is never going to be seen by the viewer. Google makes it's money by showing you that ad that's the contract. So they have to show you that ad and I assume they tell the advertiser if you're going to annoy one of our users and get in their face your going to pay well for it. The ones at the side are cheap because they get ignored.

It's really not, advertisers are with the best of intentions trying to make sales for a business. They're hardly going to pay google money if the ad is never going to be seen by the viewer. Google makes it's money by showing you that ad that's the contract. So they have to show you that ad and I assume they tell the advertiser if you're going to annoy one of our users and get in their face your going to pay well for it. The ones at the side are cheap because they get ignored.

How do you know they get ignored? I see em. Most of them are bloody animated, youre gonna see them. The ones Im forced to watch before the video just annoy me, so I aint gonna be buying anyway. They did pay google for ads on the side. But marketing/scum departments keep pushing and pushing and now we have these ads, unskippable, over the video. They werent content with having the skippable ads that people could choose to watch or not. That was an acceptable compromise. It made youtube far less annoying than television is. But marketing people have to keep pushing, and pushing, and pushing.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,151 ✭✭✭kupus

Andy advertisers have spent millions maybe even billions on the whole psychological aspect side of advertising.
    Don't think for one second that you're immune, all those little jingles you hear from a sh!te advert on the radio, all the crap images you see on a newspaper/magazine all those annoying ads you see pop up
    (im including that annoying journal.ie ad that's on boards as well, every-time the mouse moves over it, it drives me spare but its done for a reason and that reason is that is stands out)
    are all stored somewhere in the vastness that makes up your brain and sometime in the future when you need something that little jingle could be the spark that gets you to buy whatever you need.

Btw you said you shop in the cheapest places you can find.........how did you find them in the first place. Word of mouth perhaps?

• Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭FrogMarch

Advertising and marketing work. That is all I have to say about that really.

I never said I am immune. I am just saying that if a certain advertisement gets on my tits, it has the opposite intended effect.

And yes, I normally research my purchases (gadgets and the like) and get recommendations. I know all this info comes from advertisements. Half the blogs/videos on the internet that 'reviews' stuff is getting payed to do so. Like I've said again and again. I dont mind funny/informative/creative advertisement that doesnt need to get in my face every hour and be in every commercial break, twice (start and end of break). Its the crap that has to surround people 24/7 that annoys me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,041 ✭✭✭who the fug

justryan wrote: »
    I look forward to a future when adverts are personally tailored depending on your preference, I mean wtf do I need tampons for?

For when you build that full scale mode of the U2, and you need something to seal the oil leak

I would also prefer that Ryan. At least bombard me with stuff that interests me and applies to me! I dont want a green card, but the internet is convinced that I do! :D

Thank god for Spam folders too!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,881 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

What am I supposed to do? I love stories and the game industry although highly incorporated you get very few good original games but i get the originals I don't play all games that come out just the original ones. I know Boards and the the other forums I use need to pay into this corporate world and I too must suck on these teats because i was born in these terrible times..

I'm not judging you at all Temptamperu, I have no problem with these games, you are just exposed to a double whammy of advertising in your real life and your gaming life. Plus you'd be one of the first to look at the viral campaigns that are released. You love ads!
    I'm sorry I said i would beat you with a hammer but advertising is a horrible pervasive business.

I'm not that sorry, because you wouldn't beat me with a hammer, you wouldn't dare beat anyone with a hammer because they work in a certain industry. :)

And, speaking of experience, (and in fairness, I have obviously a good bit more than you), the industry is full of interesting, pleasant, amiable, creative people. A diverse mix of talented people that work hard.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,076 ✭✭✭Eathrin

kupus wrote: »
    WHY IS IT:
    A man wakes up after sleeping under an ADVERTISED blanket
    on an ADVERTISED mattress and pulls off an ADVERTISED pajamas
    bathes in an ADVERTISED shower/bath
    shaves with an ADVERTISED razor brushes his teeth with an ADVERTISED
    toothpaste, washes with an ADVERTISED soap/gel,
    puts on a wait for it......an ADVERTISED clothing brand
    drinks a cup of ADVERTISED coffee/tea
    drives to work in an ADVERTISED car and then.........

refuses to believe in advertising

My bedclothes are Penneys brand, some Guineys, my mattress is from a discount mattress retailer. All the cheapest I could buy.

I don't know what brand my shower and bath are. They were simply chosen on being the nicest looking furniture within our budget. We paid a premium possibly for aesthetics, no brand.

Our toiletries consist of whatever's on special.

I wore a hoody today, a lovely one at that, I'd never even heard of the brand "Criminal" before I bought it. The brand did not attract me, nor have I ever seen it advertised.

etc etc...

Why can't some people accept that advertising simply doesn't have near the same profound effect on me as it does on others. It works on a certain type of person. If advertising worked on everyone then everyone would buy the branded product in question.

When I purchase something, what comes first for me is quality. If there's no way of telling quality without consuming the product I would generally test a number of different products over time and determine for myself the best option.
    Price is also very important. If I determine that a store-brand cereal for example is as good as the expensive one, I will always buy the cheaper one. Image means nothing to me.

• Advertisement

Amen! I am the same. For stuff from Tesco always bought what was on special, 2 for 1 rocks, could not give a ****e if its 'arctic fresh'. Unless I notice its from a brand that annoys me because of their ethics regarding production or advertising, then I will refuse to buy.

Same with buying clothes. When I was in Ireland every stitch I owned came from Penneys. Stuff is nice enough there and cheap! Why would I waste crazy amounts of money on pretty much the same thing just for a label on it? I prefer plain clothes anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,778 ✭✭✭sebastianlieken

There's just SO MUCH advertising EVERYWHERE! we're constantly being bombarded with it from all angles, it does kinda do my head in alright.

but the worst by far are the car insurance adds and injury lawyers for you. holy hell i wish they'd just go die, them and their stupid catchy jingles

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,881 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

injury lawyers for you. holy hell i wish they'd just go die, themi and their stupid catchy jingles

Injury lawyer ads in Ireland? Is there THAT many? Is this a localised campaign? Who exactly are the advertisers?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,881 ✭✭✭JohnMarston

There's just SO MUCH advertising EVERYWHERE! we're constantly being bombarded with it from all angles, it does kinda do my head in alright.

but the worst by far are the car insurance adds and injury lawyers for you. holy hell i wish they'd just go die, them and their stupid catchy jingles

Better call Saul!

Advertisement