Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Refraction problem help please :)

• 11-10-2012 7:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 216 ✭✭

Ok so here's the question I'm stuck on.

A ray of light leaves a rectangular diamond and enters air. It makes an angle of refraction of 15 degrees. If the refractive index of diamond is 2.42, find the angle of incidence.

The answer is 6.1 degrees, and I haven't a clue how to do it. Thanks a million in advance.!!!:D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 371 ✭✭iLikePiano99

Since the light is going from the diamond into air rather than air into diamond we must put the refractive index under 1 (explained on pg 30 of real world physics)...so instead of 2.42 it is 1/2.42 which works out to be .4132. Then you let that equal to sini /sinr, r being 15 degrees and you should come out with 6.1 degrees :)

• Registered Users Posts: 216 ✭✭FudgeBrace

Since the light is going from the diamond into air rather than air into diamond we must put the refractive index under 1 (explained on pg 30 of real world physics)...so instead of 2.42 it is 1/2.42 which works out to be .4132. Then you let that equal to sini /sinr, r being 15 degrees and you should come out with 6.1 degrees :)
    Thanks so much haha that was bothering me all day!!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 543 ✭✭✭Neewbie_noob

FudgeBrace wrote: »
    Ok so here's the question I'm stuck on.

A ray of light leaves a rectangular diamond and enters air. It makes an angle of refraction of 15 degrees. If the refractive index of diamond is 2.42, find the angle of incidence.

The answer is 6.1 degrees, and I haven't a clue how to do it. Thanks a million in advance.!!!:D

refractive index "n" = sin i / sin r

so

2.42 = sin (i) / sin (15)
    2.42 * sin(15) = sin(i)
    0.62 = sin(i)
    sin^-1 (0.62) = i = 38.32°

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 26,403 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peregrine

Oooh I love this chapter, would've helped ya sooner if you had asked in the OT :) If you're ever stuck again let me know :p

Nimrod 7 wrote: »
    Oooh I love this chapter, would've helped ya sooner if you had asked in the OT :) If you're ever stuck again let me know :p
    Will doo! Thankss hah

• Advertisement

If you have my book ( real world physics) could you please help me with q 5 on page 34?

If you have my book ( real world physics) could you please help me with q 5 on page 34?

Nah I have Investigating Physics by Andrew Kenny, can you type it out?

Oops double post

Nah I have Investigating Physics by Andrew Kenny, can you type it out?
    Ah ok:) oh it's fine now I googled the solution :) thanks anyhoo haha

Ah ok:) oh it's fine now I googled the solution :) thanks anyhoo haha

Ah there's a website with all the solutions for that book, buzzkill:pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,410 ✭✭✭ConorCBS

Nimrod 7 wrote:

What's the website? :pac:

Thanks so much haha that was bothering me all day!!

No problem! Happy to help, it was good revision for me too :)

ConorCBS wrote: »
    Nimrod 7 wrote:

I never knew of such a website until I googled "real world physics solutions" and this came up http://www.thealy.com/LCPhysics/TBOOK.PDF

how amazing is this? Wish I'd known about it sooner before I spent a good 40 mins trying to figure out a question today!

Nimrod 7 wrote:

I never knew of such a website until I googled "real world physics solutions" and this came up http://www.thealy.com/LCPhysics/TBOOK.PDF

how amazing is this? Wish I'd known about it sooner before I spent a good 40 mins trying to figure out a question today!
    That's exactly what I googled!! Lolol

Yup that's the website. I only Googled "Real World physics" to see if I can view the book online and it came up :pac:

Unfortunately I can't find one for my book :(
    How many topics did you cover so far in 5th year?

Haha that's the job... :)

Yup that's the website. I only Googled "Real World physics" to see if I can view the book online and it came up :pac:

We've finished reflection, refraction, lenses, spherical mirrors..!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭Indiego

I've done temperature, circular motion, linear motion, forces, momentum and gravity :)

We've finished reflection, refraction, lenses, spherical mirrors..!
    Ohh same, started on waves now

Indiego wrote: »

I've done temperature, circular motion, linear motion, forces, momentum and gravity :)
    Lucky! :eek: I need some of that for Applied Maths
    But we're only doing Light and Waves now
    Finished Reflection (Sperical and plane mirrors) and Refraction (Water, Lenses, Eye etc.)

• Advertisement

Lucky! :eek: I need some of that for Applied Maths
    But we're only doing Light and Waves now
    Finished Reflection (Sperical and plane mirrors) and Refraction (Water, Lenses, Eye etc.)

its fairly handy, circular motion was a bit of a weird concept though hahah
    I think my teacher wants to get all of mechanics done by november, and then we're doing light i think :L

I think my teacher wants to get all of mechanics done by november, and then we're doing light i think :L
    I want mechanics naooo :p
    Light is eaaaasssyyyy..probably why some teachers start with light. I don't understand why my class is strugging with it though

There's like..2 forumulae..and a half kinda. They're almost too easy to manupilate :p

Light is eaaaasssyyyy..probably why some teachers start with light. I don't understand why my class is strugging with it though

There's like..1 forumula..and a half kinda. They're almost too easy to manupilate :p

ugh I've done like a million formulas...and derivations. ew.

There's like..1 forumula..and a half kinda. They're almost too easy to manupilate :p

ugh I've done like a million formulas...and derivations. ew.
    Sweet :D I'm starting Linear Motion during mid term for Applied, can't wait on Physics :pac: .

There are loads of good videos online for Physics btw if anyone is clueless about it :) just search the chapter on YT or websites like Khan Academy

Has anyone done the Speed, Displacement, and Velocity chapter?

Has anyone done the Speed, Displacement, and Velocity chapter?

Me :)

Can you explain to me how a body can have an eastward displacement but a westward velocity? :o

Can you explain to me how a body can have an eastward displacement but a westward velocity? :o

hmmm idk... maybe if it travels say 10km east and then heads back 5km west, its displacement will be 5km east, but it would be heading at a westward velocity? idk, complete guess tbh :o

Can it? :eek:
    Now I haven't done this chapter but, I believe a body can have an eastward acceleration with a westward velocity if the body is slowing down

• Advertisement

Can it? :eek:

Apparently so, says my book.
    hmmm idk... maybe if it travels say 10km east and then heads back 5km west, its displacement will be 5km east, but it would be heading at a westward velocity? idk, complete guess tbh :o

I was thinking something along those lines in my head, I just couldn't fully grasp it and put it on paper. Thanks. :)

Advertisement