Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

First Time E-Cig

Options
  • 11-10-2012 7:33pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 903 ✭✭✭

I've looked at the info up top but I'm still a little confused, I'm hoping you can help.

My Dad is looking to try these things out. He smokes about 40 cigarettes a day. We've been looking up these e-cigs but there's some stuff we can't get a clear explanation on.

We've noticed you need to refill them by buying "cartridges" typically how many smokes does a cartridge last? If he got a rechargeable e-cig how many smokes would it last before recharging?

ANy other basics I've missed please advice thanks all.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭jakdublin

Asked pretty much the same question myself. Have a look at this treed. It might help.
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056775319

I use Greensmoke (greensmoke.ie) mainly because I work beside the Omni where they're based so it's handy for me to buy and it's a very simple system. I use a cartridge a day (€2) and the starter kit cost me (€50). Whatever system you use you'll need two chargers so you're not left stuck. A starter kit will always have two. I'm just a n00b so there's plenty more here who have better experience than me.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,674 ✭✭✭DirtyBollox

the bigger the battery's mah number dictates the battery life. but so does the use of the battery. i use 1 battery a day and i used to smoke 20 or less a day so i'm not using it the whole time.

As far as how long a cartridge would last is up to how much he'll use it. some vapers go through 1-2 a day but others would go through 4-5 or even more.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭grindle

We've noticed you need to refill them by buying "cartridges" typically how many smokes does a cartridge last?
    You don't need to go with cartridges unless you're using a cigalike (looks-like-a-cig-style). Even if you do go with that style, what they don't often tell you is that the cartridges are refillable.
    If he got a rechargeable e-cig how many smokes would it last before recharging?
    If he needs a cig-sized vape, I'd go for this kit.

Each 450mAh battery, with the clearomisers they're sold with, should last about 200+ five-second puffs before needing to be charged again.
    The clearo (the liquid holder and heater) could last anywhere from one week to a month, depending on liquids used and the build of the coil inside.
    If he's okay with a larger battery, this kit.

Each of these batteries would last around 300+ puffs (less if you set the voltage higher, but it's worth it for the delicious vape), which would equal 40 cigs between the two of them, puff-wise.
    Those clearos'll last the same amount of time, but need to be refilled a lot less.

Liquids you can buy from anywhere, but that site has my favourites. The House of Liquid range is a 'must-try' if you're looking for tobacco flavours.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭was.deevey

Honestly stay away from the "look-like-a-cig" .. he'll be back on the fags in no time.

Change is good when looking to quit the fags, especially a 40 a day habit, IMHO it'll feel strange to him for a bit but the volume of smoke and Flavour from a Clearomizer and Bigger "Non-Ciggarette" style battery Vs a tiny battery is no comparison.

A huge number of my mates (and me included!) tried using the Cigarette style e-cigs and used it as an excuse to go back on the real ones after a few weeks of hits and misses.

Be sure and buy him a few replacement Atomizers for the Kanger and few different Flavour juices for him to try while you are at it - dont give him any excuses to go back on the fags like running out of supplies.

At 40 a day he'll probably need a reasonably high strength mg of nicotine as well - something to bear in mind.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 903 ✭✭✭Herrick

Thanks a bunch for all the advice everyone.

I think he'll go with the Kanger starter kit because of the larger batteries, otherwise it will be nothing but complaining about charging :pac:

Silly question but does the above starter kit contain everything I'll need to order for him bar liquids/flavors?

At 40 cigs a day what nicotine strength would ye recommend? Also what are the most popular flavors/liquids? Will I need any particular liquids to be a certain brand or anything to be compatible with the kit?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,137 ✭✭✭artyeva

i'd add a few replacement heads for the kangers, so he'll be set up for a while.

i started on 26/24mg juice, then went to 20/18mg, now on 12mg and that's all in the space of a month, so i wouldn't go buying loads of one till he finds out what works for him.

the el toro cigarillo naturales from e-smokireland is a lovely tobacco flavour to start with, i wish i'd had it from the start. i have a few mls, maybe a kanger-full or two of the 18mg strength left that i won't use now - you're more than welcome to it. i've also used the Dekang USA mix, a much milder taste. you're more than welcome to a 10ml bottle of 20mg i won't use either, and 24mg 'number 5', a kind of mild nutty tobacco. he might not like any of them long term but it'd tide him over till you order something else! pm me your address if you want them. free btw!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,931 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Stay away from tobacco flavours, picture drying out someones vomit, grinding it into powder and smoking it, go menthol or fruit flavors...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,137 ✭✭✭artyeva

bit harsh! :rolleyes:

taste is a very personal thing dude. what's marmite for you might be my aubergine... etc etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,831 ✭✭✭Lucutus

Thargor wrote: »
    Stay away from tobacco flavours, picture drying out someones vomit, grinding it into powder and smoking it, go menthol or fruit flavors...
    artyeva wrote: »
    bit harsh! :rolleyes:

taste is a very personal thing dude. what's marmite for you might be my aubergine... etc etc.

Agreed artyeva.

Herrick, if you're looking for a replacement for smoking for your 40-a-day dad, then a menthol or fruit just isn't going to do it for you/him.

I never liked menthol flavoured cigs, so haven't tried any similar juices yet. I found the fruity type of juices to be nice, but usualy thicker and clog up a clearomiser after extended use. Most people starting vaping themselves will deal with little hassles like cleaning, but if you receive a kit as a gift, your tolerance for hassle will be diminished and any little excuse will have you out buying a pack.

You won't find a juice that tastes exactly like any brand of cigs, the best thing to do is try a selection of samples of many different tobacco juices and settle on one or two you like, then stock up on that.

I'm using the El Toro Cigarillos juice all day at the moment, very satisfying and working well. In the evenings, I might change to a fruity 'dessert' vape for after dinner...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 516 ✭✭✭kiffy

Thargor wrote: »
    I don't like any of the tobacco flavours I have tried since I started vaping (though wouldn't say they tasted like vomit) don't like the menthol one's either, come to think of it have only enjoyed one flavour since I started using bottles and that was a sample pack of 5 different 5ml flavours and that was to my amazement the Cola flavour :eek: but that's gone, Got them from e-cigshop.eu last week a new crowd to me, but their a bit dear from their premier juices so ordered Cola flavours from TBS (Dekang and Liqua) and hope one of them does it for me.

Also thinking of trying the Strawberry Lemonade from ESI read a lot of people saying good things about it, though that works out a €30 for 50ml a bit dear to, but at this stage I'd pay it just to enjoy a vape.

Another half decent flavour was Dekang white coffee, though bought that at 0mg VG and only use it to boost the vape mixed with PG flavours I'm not mad about.

It might be worthwhile getting a few 5ml sample packs just to experiment with as one person's taste won't necessarily be everyone's, especially a hard git to please like me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,831 ✭✭✭Lucutus

kiffy wrote: »
    come to think of it have only enjoyed one flavour since I started using bottles and that was a sample pack of 5 different 5ml flavours and that was to my amazement the Cola flavour :eek: but that's gone,

You might like The ANTO Mix from ESI so. Found it had a cola taste when I tried it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 516 ✭✭✭kiffy

Lucutus wrote: »
    You might like The ANTO Mix from ESI so. Found it had a cola taste when I tried it.
    Might give it a go if the bottles of Vanilla ordered from Jacvapour and the Cola's from TBS end up the same as the 47 bottles (at the last count) I have cluttering up the cupboard :(

• Registered Users Posts: 5 oshea1paul

If you are anywhere near the Blackrock market, Dublin there is a stall there where you can try out some flavours. Should be details somewhere on the markets website or fb page.
    Always like to try before buying if I can help it.

Advertisement