Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Has my laptop died?????

Options
  • 11-10-2012 8:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 300 ✭✭

When i start up my laptop it freezes immediately. This has been happening with a few days now and has only got worse.
    It went from being able to log in and do maybe 10 mins work yesterday, to not being able to log in today.
    It's not overheating and I have done a system restore to a date that I remember it being ok.
    I've also done a registry cleanup, memory fault check and deleted temporary files.
    Hope someone can help me, thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,855 ✭✭✭Nabber

How sure are you that you back up is not corrupted? Is it a windows back up from a restore point. What OS are you running WINx or Unix?
    What are your system specs?

• Registered Users Posts: 270 ✭✭Supermensch

It might be the hard drive. Do you know the make and model? (you might find out off of the laptop's manufacturer's website, or inside of Windows under Disk Drives in Device Manager, or by just taking it out of your laptop and reading the label on it)

• Registered Users Posts: 300 ✭✭jod1983

I've only done a restore to a week ago so it could well be corrupted.
    My only way of finding out the hard drive is to open it as I can't even start it up.
    I had a hard drive failure with a dell laptop before and got the 'blue screen' but none this time. Not sure that means anything.
    Oh forgot to say its a Sony vaoi running win 7.

• Registered Users Posts: 270 ✭✭Supermensch

When you know the model of the hard drive, you might be able test it using UBCD;

http://www.ultimatebootcd.com/

(A list of the hard drive tools included is on the page)

• Registered Users Posts: 300 ✭✭jod1983

It's even freezing now in safe mode. Think ill have to get someone to look at it.

Thanks for the help guys.

• Advertisement
Advertisement