Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Buying my first pipe

Options
  • 11-10-2012 8:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭

So tomorrow im think im going to buy my first pipe snd kit needed online. I just want a quick piece of advice. Im thinking about buying a "10 minute pipe". Its on careys store online and its about €30 odd.

Im just wondering is this a good place to start and a smart choice? Basically any smoking i intent doing is while sitting down for a short break while out walking dogs etc.

Any advice appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,089 ✭✭✭✭P. Breathnach

I don't know Carey's pipes at all, so I can't say if it's a good choice or not. I want to remind you that you will also need pipe cleaners and a pipe-smoker's companion (that is the 3-in-1 tool incorporating reamer, tamper, and spike).

Good luck with the new venture.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭stevoman

http://www.eacarey.co.uk/shop/carey-10-minute-full-bent-billiard.html

Thats the link, yeah i have filters, 3 in 1 tool and cleaners and i hope im right then. Fingers crossed!

i dont want to spend mad money on a pipe yet until i get used to it so i thought this small pipe might be a good place to start.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭stevoman

Pipe purchased, cleaners, filters and 3 in 1 also.

I also bought a pouch if this stuff. http://www.eacarey.co.uk/shop/tobacco/mclintock-black-cherry-50g.html i have read around that cherry flavoured pipe tobacco is nice, it comes up again and again so i said id give it a bash whilst i was ordering the other stuff. Now all i need is for it to arrive and learn how to use it all. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭horsemaster

Bet you are excited! If you packed it too tight, it will mean you might get smoke and hence tongue bites. A bit of experimentation and you will get the idea smoke. I usually use a tamper to do my charing light and then light it again. This gives it an even smoke. Your bowl may get hot so puff lightly until you get a cake inside it. Thats why many smokers will only pack their pipes halfway for the first few smokes. Enjoy your new hobby!

• Registered Users Posts: 41 Churchwarden

This is what I have so far. My last collection was far superior

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭horsemaster

This is what I have so far. My last collection was far superior

Great looking pipes there! I was wondering if you knew what wood they were made from? My wooden pipes are all made from briar. I think I see some Ukrainian pipes in your collection. All beautiful pipes!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,674 ✭✭✭Faith+1

Nice collection ChurchWarden

Advertisement