Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

borrowing for an extension

Options
  • 11-10-2012 8:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7

Hi guys, I may be posting to the wrong thread, my sincerest apologies if i am but..... am lucky enough to be in a position where my parents signed their home over to me. Unfortunately it needs a lot of work done and we need to build on a 2 storey extension to the rear. As we don't have a mortgage on the house, are we looking for a mortgage to do the work or a personal loan would you think?? We are looking at about €80,000 and wanted the longest term possible.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 46,082 ✭✭✭✭muffler

I'll move this to the banking forum in a moment but the one bit of advice I can give you is to look for a mortgage as the interest rates are much lower.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 chunky horticulturist

Seei, i thought that's what we would be looking to take out but a friend of ours said because we own the house, we would only be eligible for a personal loan and the max term is usually 5 years and 75,000 cap on borrowing. that would be way out of our repayment comfort zone as we had hoped to spread it over 10-15 years min. thanks tho and i am sorry for posting in the wrong place! beginners unluck!!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,382 ✭✭✭Tow

Your friend does not have a clue a mortgage is the way to go, providing you meet all the banks criteria.

When is the money (including lost growth) Michael Noonan took in the Pension Levy going to be paid back?

• Registered Users Posts: 7 chunky horticulturist

phew thanks a million.

Advertisement