Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Moving site to new hosting but with same hosting company

Options
  • 11-10-2012 9:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭

I've had 3 sites on the same shared hosting account but need to move 2 of them to new hosting for administrative purposes - one site is a sports club site and more members want to fiddle with it so I don't want the other 2 to get in any way knocked off if they do something accidental.

I know the general procedures for moving from one host to a new host, but was curious if there is anything different to be aware of when moving to a new server with the same hosting company?

I've emailed the host and they've mentioned they'd just need to make sure the new hosting wasn't using the same name servers but from an SEO perspective is there anything else I should be aware of that's out of the ordinary?

Thanks for any and all advice!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 424 ✭✭TsuDhoNimh

Educate wrote: »
    I know the general procedures for moving from one host to a new host, but was curious if there is anything different to be aware of when moving to a new server with the same hosting company?
    Something I'm happy to admit I've only ever done with sites that had such negligible base stats that a hit would have been below reasonable levels of detection, but I can't think of a single SEO related issue it would cause over and above a normal host change.

As long as the transfer is done smoothly and no technical issues pop up there, so be sure to transfer all the settings, it would be no different to a normal host change (except for the fact that you'd hope it would run even smoother given it's all happening under the one roof).

Obviously the normal issues that would be of concern still need to be considered and do pose a small risk (moved to a blacklisted IP, moved to a bad neighbourhood, moved to a poor server, moved to an IP in a different country, etc.).

As an aside, would it not make it a little easier to simply transfer the one site that's actually causing the issue here? Unless you're planning an upgrade of the server for the two other sites, it would seem to be a more efficient solution (it's not a big deal and a relatively small risk/extra workload, just seems an odd choice to move two to accommodate the one).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,256 ✭✭✭blue4ever

I’ve shifted a few sites and here’s my take. The structure has to be maintained as to the urls etc. Once that’s done the server change is very much an administrative thing: your DNS might change as might your ip address. All that is handled by your hosting provider and their DNS servers and hasn't any
    If you were changing countries etc – it might be a different story, but work away. All will be good!

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭Educate

Sorry for such a late response - thanks for the replies.

As it's turned out I don't have to make any of them move for the time being so sitting tight now.

I was also doing an upgrade from Joomla 1.5 to 2.5 so as I hadn't a jot of an idea how to "upgrade" I just redid one from scratch using the 2.5 template - one page I made a slight error and forgot an "and" in the url and I think I've lost the PR for that page completely (I put in a 301 but doesn't seem to have helped) so that's a good lesson for the day I might have to actually move them....ah well, only an info site so no big dramas!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,256 ✭✭✭blue4ever

If you doing that again use the jupgarde extension
    http://extensions.joomla.org/extensions/migration-a-conversion/joomla-migration/11658

Its a great way to test things - it 'migrates' your site to a folder: ie your J1.5 is www.mysite,.ie and it installs 2.5 in www.mysite.ie/jupgrade - which is a full working version if your original site but its 2.5 (the main site is still working away). You can see then - which plugins or extensions are compatible etc - and mess around with some of the new templates.

When your happy, simply over-right the main site with the contents of the jupgarde folder (backing up everything first!!)

C

Advertisement