Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"HUGE" Gig to be confirmed tomorrow morning on Today FM

Options
  • 11-10-2012 9:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭

KC just confirmed that a "HUGE GIG" would be confirmed on the Ian Dempsey Breakfast Show tomorrow morning between 7-9am.

He went onto say that the act was NOT Coldplay but an act of equal record sales and status in world music.

So who are we predicting?

I'm going to throw The Killers, Radiohead and The Rolling Stones out there!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,384 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

Green Day?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭aka accounts 2010

Mushy wrote: »
    Green Day?

Ya forgot about them!! Strong possibility I reckon!!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

KC just confirmed that a "HUGE GIG" would be confirmed on the Ian Dempsey Breakfast Show tomorrow morning between 7-9am.

He went onto say that the act was NOT Coldplay but an act of equal record sales and status in world music.

An act of equal record sales and status as Coldplay, and you suggest The Rolling Stones?

Besides, since when is Coldplay a "HUGE" gig?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭baldbear

Did Green Day not just call off a tour? Billie to rehab?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,990 ✭✭✭JustAddWater

U2?

• Advertisement

An act of equal record sales and status as Coldplay, and you suggest The Rolling Stones?

What's your suggestion????????

You can't argue that Coldplay are currently one of the biggest bands around!!

Plus I, PERSONALLY, never said Coldplay were huge. I'm simply stating what was said!!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,539 ✭✭✭ghostdancer

since Coldplay have been one of the biggest bands in the world, so for the last decade or so.
    :confused:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

You can't argue that Coldplay are currently one of the biggest bands around!!

So are One Direction and Justin Bieber, means sweet FA.

I'm saying Coldplay isn't a "HUGE" gig, just like One Direction or Justin Bieber isn't.

The Rolling Stones would be a "HUGE" gig, as would AC/DC, Led Zep, Floyd, The Who, but considering they all beat the absolute shíte out of Coldplay for album sales and status, it's highly unlikely to be any of them. It could be the likes of Springstein or McCarthy, Madonna, U2 etc but because they've all played recently(ish) then I wouldn't categorize them as huge. For me, for it to be a huge gig then it has to be a band in extremely high demand who haven't played in Ireland for a long long time. So if tomorrow's "HUGE" announcement is for a band comparable to Coldplay, then I think I'll refrain from getting excited.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 14,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Furious-Red

For some reason i cant see Rolling Stones yet (unless they are also announcing the rumoured o2 london gigs also)

Green Day have already announced 2 festival slots and one stadium show for next summer so they could be a strong possibility .

Are Killers as big as Coldplay though? Dont get me wrong they are big

Hopefully its not Radiohead

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,089 ✭✭✭jefreywithonef

Yeah Keith Richards let slip some concert destinations recently so I have a feeling it'll be the Stones.

• Advertisement

Just had a look at Ian Dempsey on twitter and he's after saying a "big(ish) announcement on Monday" so not tomorrow as KC said just before 9pm tonight!!

What about Rod Stewart , rumoured to be doing shows in the UK in June

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,351 ✭✭✭NegativeCreep

Since Michael Jackson died I don't get excited about these "huge" announcements anymore. *sigh*
    I'm hoping for Bjork (I know, hardly huge) or Soundgarden maybe :D

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭superblu

Since Michael Jackson died I don't get excited about these "huge" announcements anymore. *sigh*
    I'm hoping for Bjork (I know, hardly huge) or Soundgarden maybe :D

Yes soundgarden would be class. I'd die a happy man if I heard outshined live. Don't think however soundgarden would get the pulses of the general public racing anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,614 ✭✭✭ArtSmart

I'd say it's U2 and a bunch of others for the 'Gathering' thingy.

Won't someone please think of the children!!!

superblu wrote: »
    Yes soundgarden would be class. I'd die a happy man if I heard outshined live. Don't think however soundgarden would get the pulses of the general public racing anymore.

Yea sadly Soundgarden wouldnt be a massive announcement:( . Wonder will it be Slane aswell whoever is announced?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,574 ✭✭✭whirlpool

Robbie Williams, possibly. Not desirably, but possibly.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,573 ✭✭✭Thundercats Ho

Pure guesswork here. Slane announcement for next year.
    Huge for there would be U2 or the stones i suppose.
    If it's big(ish) like ian dempsey said, then it could be green day or some such ....

• Registered Users Posts: 863 ✭✭✭GastroBoy

baldbear wrote: »
    Did Green Day not just call off a tour? Billie to rehab?

Nope, they had to cancel one gig is all.
    But they are announcing a lot of European shows lately, almost every day actually so its only a matter of days before they announce an Irish leg of the tour, so it's a big possibility that it could be them.

Though, why Ian Dempsey would be rattling on about them I'm not sure.
    If he's announcing it, its probably someone like The Script or some rubbish like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,662 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

So was there an announcement.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,328 ✭✭✭karaokeman

Don't know how I'll feel no matter whose announced on monday as I'll likely be in America next summer.

Feels weird as it will be the first summer since 2008 I didn't go to a big gig in Ireland.

My guesses would be Green Day, The Killers, The Script, Robbie Williams, Pearl Jam, someone like that.

So was there an announcement.

Ian Dempsey confirmed on Twitter last night that the announcement will be Monday morning.

Maybe the mods can change the title until to reflect this????

I mentioned the change in announcement last night.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,891 ✭✭✭✭Rothko

Hopefully its not Radiohead

Hopefully, it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,196 ✭✭✭CardBordWindow

karaokeman wrote: »
    Don't know how I'll feel no matter whose announced on monday as I'll likely be in America next summer.

Feels weird as it will be the first summer since 2008 I didn't go to a big gig in Ireland.

My guesses would be Green Day, The Killers, The Script, Robbie Williams, Pearl Jam, someone like that.
    All playing together! :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 12,598 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

Maybe Van Halen.

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

• Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭Samuri Suicide

Bill Cullen

• Registered Users Posts: 5,159 ✭✭✭rednik

Maybe Van Halen.

I would love to see them play here but not a chance really.:(

• Registered Users Posts: 983 ✭✭✭CiaranK

If the Stones are announcing their tour it could possibly be on Monday. Not sure though. Hopefully when they play, it won't be Slane again.

• Registered Users Posts: 588 ✭✭✭cometogether

Please let it be an indoor Stone Roses show! Although I'd nearly put money on it being a Slane announcement, I reckon it'll be the Stones unfortunately.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 171 ✭✭George Mulcahy

Ultravox..:)

Advertisement