Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

can somebody please help me? privacy issues!!

Options
  • 11-10-2012 11:19pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,012 ✭✭✭

Just had an argument with my mother (yes this is to do with AIB/bank account).

She said l have been spending/wasting so much money (not true) & that my father found this out because apprentley he went into my AIB branch, and in some way, checked to see how much money was in my account & discovered "alot" was taken out. l am furious, either they are making this up (which l think they are) or AIB have given out my details, l am over 18.

The only thing my dad has to do with this account, is that he set it up, 20 years ago for me, but recently l changed it to a current account cause l need money (unemployed) and sick to death of my parents leading me money if they feel like it.

Can someone tell is this possible that this actually happened? He did not have my bank account no. cause l have it in a safe place.

Is it the fact that he is my dad & set up this account, even though it is under my name etc, that he could still get this information????

lm so mad. Sorry for the long post, any suggestions/opinions would be great.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,636 ✭✭✭dotsman

Is there any chance that this was set up as a joint account, or that he is named in some way on the account?

Also, you say you don't believe them, so is there a chance that they just came across a bank statement, receipts etc?

If the account is definitely in your name alone and your father was able to get these details from your bank, then yes that sounds like a breach of data protection rules and you should formally complain to the bank (but I would verify with your parents exactly what happened first).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,012 ✭✭✭stop animal cruelty

dotsman wrote: »
    Is there any chance that this was set up as a joint account, or that he is named in some way on the account?

Also, you say you don't believe them, so is there a chance that they just came across a bank statement, receipts etc?

If the account is definitely in your name alone and your father was able to get these details from your bank, then yes that sounds like a breach of data protection rules and you should formally complain to the bank (but I would verify with your parents exactly what happened first).

no its not a joint account. Even all the times l have been in there nothing has been said about my dad. So mad :( , thanks for your comment all the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 901 ✭✭✭usernamegoes

Just had an argument with my mother (this is to do with AIB/bank account).

She said l have been spending/wasting so much money (not true) & that my father found this out because apprentley he went into my AIB branch, and in some way, checked to see how much money was in my account & discovered "alot" was taken out. l am furious, either they are making this up (which l think they are) or AIB have given out my details, l am over 18.

The only thing my dad has to do with this account, is that he set it up, 20 years ago for me, but recently l changed it to a current account cause l need money (unemployed) and sick to death of my parents leading me money if they feel like it.

Can someone tell is this possible that this actually happened? He did not have my bank account no. cause l have it in a safe place.

Is it the fact that he is my dad & set up this account, even though it is under my name etc, that he could still get this information????

I doubt he did unless he knows someone in AIB perhaps or he's named on the account.

I doubt he did unless he knows someone in AIB perhaps or he's named on the account.

no and no. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,572 ✭✭✭ahnowbrowncow

Maybe he still has your account details if he set it up?

And if it's a savings account he set up and deposited money in for you surely you can understand if they're worried it's not being spent wisely

• Advertisement

Maybe he still has your account details if he set it up?

And if it's a savings account he set up and deposited money in for you surely you can understand if they're worried it's not being spent wisely

lm pretty sure he doesn't. And no they have nothing to worry about, l'v spent some money on education & few bits & bobs, l'm not a fool with money.

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭N17er

Is there any chance they have your details for online banking?

N17er wrote: »
    Is there any chance they have your details for online banking?

no l set that up myself. They can barely send a text never mind turn on a computer! lol

• Registered Users Posts: 3,240 ✭✭✭Oral Surgeon

She said l have been spending/wasting so much money (not true) & that my father found this out because apprentley he went into my AIB branch, and in some way, checked to see how much money was in my account & discovered "alot" was taken out. l am furious, either they are making this up (which l think they are) or AIB have given out my details, l am .....

is there any truth in this statement that " a lot " was taken out?? If so, they maybe the account was accessed....

For the banking guys here, do the banks computers keep a log of all browsing of customer accounts by bank employees?? I remember reading that bank employees were sanctioned for looking at Delores mcnamara's accounts after the euro million win... If so, you could ask the bank for this information.... Also ,are sure that no one else is listed as a signatory on your accounts....

• Registered Users Posts: 9,208 ✭✭✭keithclancy

is there any truth in this statement that " a lot " was taken out?? If so, they maybe the account was accessed....

For the banking guys here, do the banks computers keep a log of all browsing of customer accounts by bank employees?? I remember reading that bank employees were sanctioned for looking at Delores mcnamara's accounts after the euro million win... If so, you could ask the bank for this information.... Also ,are sure that no one else is listed as a signatory on your accounts....

Yup, theres a record for every time an account is queried.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 2,158 Mod ✭✭✭✭Oink

You say he is wrong, so it looks like maybe he did not do it. Ask them for details. Either they have facts, or they don't.

If they have facts, how did your dad obtain them legally?

If they don't have facts, are they just trying to say they're worried, in a very inelegant manner?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8 Mr Carrot

Don't be such a wuss and move out from your parents gaff

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 2,158 Mod ✭✭✭✭Oink

Mr Carrot wrote: »

?

No need to call OP a wuss. Having a disagreement with your parents doesn't necessarily mean you want give them the finger and get out.

Maybe she is otherwise happy to stay at home for another while and would prefer to address the issue rather than run away?

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Moved to Banking & Insurance & Pensions

OP - you should find out how exactly your Dad accessed your bank account. If he did it at the bank, then you need to ask the bank how your Dad was able to query your account. It may be possible that he is still somehow linked to it, in which case you can get him removed. Or more seriously , they wrongly gave him your bank account details,

• Registered Users Posts: 6,794 ✭✭✭cookie1977

Are you absolutely sure they did get info on your account or are they trying to spoof you as they have suspicions, thus hoping you'll cave?

• Registered Users Posts: 412 ✭✭roro2

For the banking guys here, do the banks computers keep a log of all browsing of customer accounts by bank employees?? I remember reading that bank employees were sanctioned for looking at Delores mcnamara's accounts after the euro million win... If so, you could ask the bank for this information.... QUOTE]

No, at least in AIB.

I would be very surprised if the bank gave your dad details on your account history, particularly if he doesn't have any of the details. This would involve him walking up to the counter, saying that he doesn't have any transactions to do but would like to have some information on a bank account that he doesn't even know the number of. More likely is that he came across a statement or they're simply not being honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 45 Kwack

If there is no mandate in place giving them viewing/debiting rights you have a case. I'd be furious too if I were you. Contact the financial regulator

• Registered Users Posts: 915 ✭✭✭whatnext

This really depends on circumstances.

I go into the local bank where I grew up every now and again, and have asked if an old great uncle is ok for money and they tell me, they would never say more than he ok or hes running low, if he is stuck for a few bob I but a few quid in for him. Its nice that they do it, an I suppose I've never asked for any real details, but its someone in the bank caring and being understanding.

I know the bank shouldn't do it but the man hasn't got a pot to p!ss in but likes to keep up the image of being a bit of a gent, he's very old school, well dressed tie on always etc,. He has no income apart from the OAP and he'd never take cash. He obviously knows someone is doing it, but he's happy to ignore it.

Yup, theres a record for every time an account is queried.

even if its just €400 is taken out??...........

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

even if its just €400 is taken out??...........

Of course, the bank have to keep a record of all transations?

• Advertisement

Mr Carrot wrote: »

Cause its that easy when lm entitled to nothing from the govenment?? & unemployed looking for work??

Oink wrote: »
    ?

No need to call OP a wuss. Having a disagreement with your parents doesn't necessarily mean you want give them the finger and get out.

Maybe she is otherwise happy to stay at home for another while and would prefer to address the issue rather than run away?

Thank you!

cookie1977 wrote: »
    Are you absolutely sure they did get info on your account or are they trying to spoof you as they have suspicions, thus hoping you'll cave?

trying to spoof me & hoping l'll cave

Kwack wrote: »
    If there is no mandate in place giving them viewing/debiting rights you have a case. I'd be furious too if I were you. Contact the financial regulator

l prob won't go that far, but thanks

Stheno wrote: »
    Of course, the bank have to keep a record of all transations?

l know they keep a record, what l ment, would it be nesscessary to give my father that information if he thinks lm taking out so much money?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,052 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Do you and your father share a first or middle name?

Could he have gone in with his own ID and said, 'hi, I'm John James Murphy (also your name, or maybe you go by James) Id like to see my account balance please?'. They wouldnt know from the computer account balance if the holder was 18 or 80 The account number will be the very same as it was 20 year ago, if its different, then it isnt the original account.

Larbre34 wrote: »
    Do you and your father share a first or middle name?

Could he have gone in with his own ID and said, 'hi, I'm John James Murphy (also your name, or maybe you go by James) Id like to see my account balance please?'. They wouldnt know from the computer account balance if the holder was 18 or 80 The account number will be the very same as it was 20 year ago, if its different, then it isnt the original account.

l'm female :L

• Registered Users Posts: 3,240 ✭✭✭Oral Surgeon

l'm female :L

Do you look like your da??

Do you look like your da??

tiny bit, but l dont look like a 60 yr old man & he doesn't look like a 20 yr old girl

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭westies4ever

Kwack wrote: »

Nothing to do with the financial regulator. If there has been a breach, complaint needs to be made to the Data Protection Commissioner.

Advertisement